U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM

29,909 posts, read 53,566,227 times

Advertisements

Dang, who wouldn't want a free lawnmower? Some people are just stupid.

Aside from lawn chemicals and old motor oil, our seller also left us spare baseboard molding, spare crown molding, and rolls of leftover carpet. The latter three have come in quite handy over the past 12 years.

Some other stuff he left -- an old refrigerator, some basement shelving, porch furniture, other miscellaneous household items -- all sold nicely at our garage sale the next summer. Win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM

918 posts, read 712,930 times
I think the key to leaving things behind for the buyers is communication.

When I sold my old house/buying my new one, one thing I noted was that my old house had a wood-burning fireplace, but my new one has a gas-burning one. So the fireplace cleaning set (you know, the little shovels, wood handler, poker, etc) were going to be of no use to me anymore. So I asked the buyer if she'd like for me to leave them. She was all for it, since she didn't have one, and it'd be one less thing to buy.

Funnily enough, the people who had sold me that house left that set for me for the very same reason--their new place had a gas fireplace, so they didn't need them anymore either. Sometimes I wonder if that's how *they* got that set, and that perhaps the original owners of the house bought it, and it just keeps getting left with the house every single time it gets sold. Maybe that fireplace cleaning set will still be in the house the day it's torn down.

I also left her my curbside garbage can. My new place had a deal with its trash pickup service, and we have special containers as a result.....so not only did I not need mine, it wouldn't have even been acknowledged if I tried to use it at the new place. So I asked the buyer of my old place if she wanted that too. Again, something she needed, and one less thing to buy.

Old Today, 09:14 AM

398 posts, read 1,343,417 times
The previous owners left us an old TV(circa 1980's black and white), an old Christmas tree, old paint(most didn't match the current colors), old suitcases, old electric heater, rusted patio benches and other junk. I threw out everything except the TV-it still works and brings back memories-probably will junk it too since we don't use it. In the home I sold, I asked the buyers if they wanted anything of should we throw out. We left garage storage shelves, a plasma TV that was just a pain to take down since it was wall mounted, various paint colors for touch ups, and spare wood for the newly installed wood floors.

Old Today, 09:36 AM

5,321 posts, read 3,922,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggy_house View Post
That was BS for them to demand the removal of hail and leaf debris.

I'd tell them to kindly point to me where in the contract I am to remove anything that mother nature disperses before the final possession date. Otherwise, go blow those leaves yourselves.

Was this addressed in your purchase contract??

Sounds like you and your realtor handled it much more friendly than I might have.
Not exactly the same, but I wish I had asked for the lawn to be mowed within a week of closing. Front yard was short since it never really grew well enough to get out of hand. The backyard was another story. We closed and started moving in right away, but the movers to take the bed, couches, dressers didn't come til a week after closing. Being first time homeowners, and doing 60% of the move ourselves, the lawn wasn't first on my mind.

When I did get to it a week after closing the backyard was so overgrown I couldn't mow it, and had to rent a brush mower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate