Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 10:45 PM

340 posts, read 223,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
We left a minimal amount of things that I would have wanted if I were a buyer - a small shelf in the garage, a wooden silverware tray in the kitchen drawer, the curtain rods we took down for the showing (they were fairly new and good quality), a concrete bird bath and a large potting table on the side of the house. We were supposed to close on Tuesday and got a call on Monday morning to come remove everything. But that wasn't the worst of it. There had been a hail storm over the weekend and the very large driveway was full of leaf debris from the storm and they wanted it all removed before closing! My poor realtor was out there trying to sweep the leaves - an impossible task. We borrowed my neighbor's extension cords, blew the leaves off the driveway and packed up everything that wasn't attached. It was a rather unpleasant finish to a stressful sale.
That was BS for them to demand the removal of hail and leaf debris.

I'd tell them to kindly point to me where in the contract I am to remove anything that mother nature disperses before the final possession date. Otherwise, go blow those leaves yourselves.

Was this addressed in your purchase contract??

Sounds like you and your realtor handled it much more friendly than I might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 10:51 PM

340 posts, read 223,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
So you wanted to leave the impossible task to the people who didn't even own the home when the hail storm occurred?

Gee Murphy, had it rained should she have went to walmart and bought thirsty towels to dry up the roof and yard too?

What task are you referring to as impossible anyhow? Obviously they got it done, even though they likely didn't have to.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:31 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Well one thing is that one mans treasure is another man's old junk and sometimes it makes no sense what buyers want vs what sellers think, as reasonable people, that buyers will want.

Case in point, when I sold my place , I wasn't really that keen on moving the patio furniture, just because it takes up some space and its unwieldy, and just kind of a pain. So I was pretty happy when their agent asked if they could buy it, and I said sure, they can have it but since I'm ALSO leaving them a garden shed with all the tools that the gardener uses and all the special fertilizers and chemicals for the plants and such (hundreds of dollars worth of stuff), I don't feel like I need to give it away, so its $300. This for a set that is $1000 easy brand new. It was powder coated cast aluminum, really nice quality, and only a little normal wear - but certainly worth the $300 in used condition. Well, they decided that was too much to pay - despite the fact that replacing the set would cost at least 4x as much. So I moved it all.

And on the other hand they asked specifically to buy certain books they saw in the library. Good eye too - they were not only the most valuable pieces but also family heirlooms. So that time I had to say no. I didn't even think to ask what they wanted to pay, partly because I was already chafed over the patio set and didn't want to be aggravated by a lowball offer, and partly because these items were literally the only things in the entire library that I consider "irreplaceable", so their "cash value" is moot anyway.

I also ran into the situation that the agent wanted the extra carpet rolls (from a carpet replaced within the last two years) out of the garage. I was very surprised someone wouldn't want the carpet, because it was enough to do the stairs twice. That's a big thing in a house with kids. A lot of people wind up replacing the entire carpeted floor when only the stairs and maybe a hall need to be replaced...and its because they can't match the carpet with a new product (different dye lots or no longer available). So instead of just paying for labor, a couple hundred bucks for a flight of stairs (or even doing it yourself, stairs are really easy), they will spend $5-8K to replace the whole thing? It doesn't make any sense, but then again, buyers sometimes just don't care, or they don't like whatever you have and intend to replace it anyway.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:16 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggy_house View Post
Gee Murphy, had it rained should she have went to walmart and bought thirsty towels to dry up the roof and yard too?

What task are you referring to as impossible anyhow? Obviously they got it done, even though they likely didn't have to.
I'm not. The PP referred to it that way.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:38 AM

143 posts, read 217,996 times
When I sold my old house, the buyers were coming from a much smaller house and asked if there was any furniture we would like to sell to them. I told them they could the couches in the family room, an giant old tv we never got around to getting rid of, and the entertainment center that was literally falling apart, for free, and I was very surprised when they said they would take them. If they didn't take them, I was just going to throw them all out on the curb. I also offered them the backyard play structure because my kids were too old for it and hadn't used it in years, and they gladly took that as well. My new house came with a bunch of leftover paint cans, tiles, and laminate flooring. The extra laminate boards are nice to have, but I ended up repainting most of the house so I really didn't want the extra paint. However, the sellers lived in Colorado and had been renting out the house for the past 3 years, so I didn't make them take anything out of the house. Two years later, the paint cans are still sitting in the basement bedroom closet lol.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:23 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
when we sold last year our realtor told us to remove EVERYTHING. There were a few items that we had her ask the buyer if they wanted. You can't assume.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:41 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
When I sell a house it always has new paint and new carpet. I always leave the leftover paint complete with color formula and any of the leftover carpet for repairs. The last house I sold had a brand new Bella Wood hickory floor and I left a box with the label and stock number plus a few sticks of wood, in case the buyers wanted to know how to match. I've never had a buyer complain, but I would come and take it away if they didn't want it

I sure wish the house I just bought had paint and information about the flooring. Paint is good and I like the color but the sellers ripped chunks of paint off the walls and gouged the walls moving out furniture. I can get paint to matched but it sure would have been easier to have the paint can. I really like the wood floor and would like to extend it into the living room and office, but I have no idea what it is.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 11-27-2017 at 10:54 AM..

Old 11-27-2017, 11:36 AM

384 posts, read 376,465 times
LOL , I was left a 4ft rat snake that was living in my garage when I moved in 3 months ago. I had to call a wildlife removal company and pay over 300$ to get him gone because I knew he would come back. I wish all that the previous owners had left were paint cans and carpet remnants .

Old 11-27-2017, 11:50 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Exclamation I'd have left mr. snake alone and focused on getting rid of the other critters in your garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post
LOL , I was left a 4ft rat snake that was living in my garage when I moved in 3 months ago. I had to call a wildlife removal company and pay over 300$ to get him gone because I knew he would come back.
Ever ask yourself how that rat snake got to be 4ft long?

Old 11-27-2017, 02:37 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Well, they decided to keep the extra carpet.

And they wanted the garage cleaned. Not simply vacant but cleaned and dusted. We passed that one over to our agent to deal with or explain why not, his option. I think anything more than broom clean is excessive. But maybe they're planning on having dinner parties out there by the light of the garage door opener.

It's Silicon Valley. We get a lot of strange people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate