U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 02:48 PM

579 posts, read 156,748 times

Advertisements

It's fraud. Do it at your own risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 07:29 PM

132 posts, read 55,623 times
In one of the houses that I bought, the dishwasher had rusted out. The warranty company was going to replace it with a cheap dishwasher. I asked the seller to just give me the money and I'd choose my own dishwasher.

Fast forward to closing. There was nothing in the closing documents about the dishwasher. I asked, and she said the warranty people had never given her a check. She told me to just file a claim, but that would be another $45 co-pay or whatever it is called. No thanks.

I asked if she could just give me a check for the $200 they had promised her and get it back from them. The closing lawyer said, "I wish you hadn't mentioned it, but, no, now she can't."

He left the room, someone redid the closing paperwork, and a $200 credit showed up on my side.

So, no, I don't think a lot of this is going on under the table if you are dealing with reputable people.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:07 PM

9,983 posts, read 21,018,749 times
Many persons have had time to ponder this question in the federal penitentiaries.

Old Today, 08:12 AM

5,109 posts, read 5,904,653 times
I confirmed that the insurance was not listed in the closing documentation. Coincidentally, the buyer asked about buying the lawn mower and a few other items still at the house, so we just left those items for free in exchange for dropping the issue of paying for the insurance.

Thank you for your help everyone

Old Today, 08:14 AM

5,109 posts, read 5,904,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
In one of the houses that I bought, the dishwasher had rusted out. The warranty company was going to replace it with a cheap dishwasher. I asked the seller to just give me the money and I'd choose my own dishwasher.

Fast forward to closing. There was nothing in the closing documents about the dishwasher. I asked, and she said the warranty people had never given her a check. She told me to just file a claim, but that would be another $45 co-pay or whatever it is called. No thanks.

I asked if she could just give me a check for the $200 they had promised her and get it back from them. The closing lawyer said, "I wish you hadn't mentioned it, but, no, now she can't."

He left the room, someone redid the closing paperwork, and a $200 credit showed up on my side.

So, no, I don't think a lot of this is going on under the table if you are dealing with reputable people.
I don't understand the motivation in your example.

In my case, the buyer wouldn't be allowed to receive any more dollars in help from the buyer. In yours, they added it to the documentation and it was allowed, so why wouldn't they just have it there from the get go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate