U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 07:12 PM

2,824 posts, read 2,330,627 times

Advertisements

Lived in SFH's most of my life in the east and then moved here in retirement and bought a condo. I bought a few years ago when the prices were more reasonable. Today in my complex a 1700 square foot unit will sell in the 700k range. We're in the coastal zone. Real estate even closer to the sea can go into the million plus range.

I like not doing any yard work. We have a cleaning staff, gardener and security. I was concerned about the noise level so I bought on the top floor. Pretty quiet. Some concern about short term rentals as this is a tourist destination. High HOA fees actually costing me more than my annual property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 08:12 PM

752 posts, read 419,733 times
Sold our SFH 3 year ago for a condo that we love. More sq ft., nicer features, neighborhood is very quiet, plus a massive clubhouse with a gym, pool, etc. The monthly fee is worth it to keep out the rif-raff. Love not having to worry about hillbilly neighbors with their unmowed grass and red-neck above ground pool in the back.

And I disagree about the “shared common wall” complaint. There is no shared wall. I have my wall, then a firewall, and then the neighbors wall. Never have heard a single thing from next door. Quiet and I love it.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:18 PM

1,423 posts, read 514,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
- We own a corner unit that is on the top floor (2nd). We share one wall with an older couple whom we hardly ever hear, and there's no one above us.
I think your post would be very different if you had noise issues

I hope that I never have to live attached to other people again after a bad noise experience

Old 12-06-2017, 12:32 AM

3,980 posts, read 1,931,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I think your post would be very different if you had noise issues

I hope that I never have to live attached to other people again after a bad noise experience
Someone just started a thread in this forum about the neighbors from hell who just moved in upstairs. Previous occupants were quiet. In all the years I've owned a house I've never had noise issues.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:20 PM

53 posts, read 12,639 times
Default Response

I prefer a single family home. This is because condo ownership is very affected by variables outside the unit you own.

-Complexes have to have FHA approval, as a complex, to accept buyers with FHA loans. You get an FHA buyer and the complex isnít FHA approved, you canít sell to them. The same goes for VA. Different loan type, but same circumstances.
-A lender for a conventional loan may not approve a purchase if they are not happy with the complex books, savings, and community upkeep. They donít just look at your unit. They look at the health of the complex that is beyond your control. You could end up real estate trapped by a poorly run community.
-If a complex has too many rentals, conventional loan companies may deny the loan.
-Communities that are poorly run, operate on a shoestring budget so owners can have expensive cars and take multiple vacations, etc.

I loved having a pool, no yard work, and cheaper monthly expenses, but none of this outweighed what was bad. I will never go back to another condo.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:23 PM

14,108 posts, read 7,243,656 times
I have lived in a condo before and liked it. I'm currently own half of a side by side duplex which feels like a single family - it's well built and I almost never hear my other side neighbors. I like it but it's a lot of work because I'm responsible for all of my own outside maintenance, I would just need to coordinate with the other half for a new roof or exterior painting, otherwise, it's all on me as far as my side goes. I anticipate downsizing back into a condo in retirement.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:38 PM

728 posts, read 1,041,103 times
Not condos. Nope.

I agree with many of the reasons people prefer condos to SFHs except .....

The Psycho Bat$#1+ Neighbor From Hell. Most people, Praise the Lord, will not encounter them in their fullblown psychotic frothing raving glory. They exist in various locations but if you have your own property with some space away from them due to real estate setback, you can keep them at an arm's length. If they share a common wall, floor, hallway, entrance or roof with you that is another story entirely. Or storage areas, gyms, playgrounds, sidewalks, recreational areas, parking lots, bus stops, gates or streets.

Experience, experience.

Last edited by ersatz; 12-06-2017 at 06:53 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM
Status: "Going too fast to safely dismount" (set 10 days ago)

2,784 posts, read 2,272,345 times
I'm getting the sense that people who live in single family homes never have bad neighbors.

Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM

5,364 posts, read 3,933,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I'm getting the sense that people who live in single family homes never have bad neighbors.
Right???

I like my SFH. I like having my yard.

But I can see the benefits of the reduced maintenance, etc...Different strokes for different folks.

Personally, I would probably prefer a townhome to a Condo, simply because I don't want to walk from outside, to inside, down the hall up the stairs/elevator to my unit.

Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM

2,421 posts, read 1,294,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Right???

I like my SFH. I like having my yard.

But I can see the benefits of the reduced maintenance, etc...Different strokes for different folks.

Personally, I would probably prefer a townhome to a Condo, simply because I don't want to walk from outside, to inside, down the hall up the stairs/elevator to my unit.
The advantage though of condos over townhouses is the view, especially if in a skyscraper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate