U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

14,108 posts, read 7,243,656 times

Advertisements

For me the drawback of a townhouse is the stairs. They are almost always pretty narrow with multiple levels. I'm in a two story (plus basement) now and it's ok, but 15 years from now, I know I will not miss saying goodbye to the stairs! lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

3,980 posts, read 1,931,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I'm getting the sense that people who live in single family homes never have bad neighbors.
Actually, I never have had bad neighbors at any of my houses, past or present. In fact, I have great neighbors at both my primary residence and my winter house in Arizona. We chat all the time and we watch out for each other.

Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM

752 posts, read 419,733 times
Quote:
I'm getting the sense that people who live in single family homes never have bad neighbors.
At my last sfh, we were pretty much surrounded my bad neighbors. Loud, always doing car repair, not mowing their lawns full of weeds, above ground pools, etc. Ugh. Our condo has no rif-raf and is so much quieter now. Not saying their aren't bad condo communities out there, maybe I am just lucky.

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM

728 posts, read 1,041,103 times
Quote:
I hear you. Distance helps which is why I like acreage.

When I was a kid in deep country we had a neighbor whose chief entertainment was shooting bb guns (and stronger) at pets and vehicles on properties that did not belong to him. My parents worried about when he would start in on the kids.

I am still alive but it gave my parents sleepless nights. Different day and age. Different standards of law enforcement.

Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

2,421 posts, read 1,294,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
For me the drawback of a townhouse is the stairs. They are almost always pretty narrow with multiple levels. I'm in a two story (plus basement) now and it's ok, but 15 years from now, I know I will not miss saying goodbye to the stairs! lol!
I agree. But why settle in more than 2 floors? I would advice to limit to just 1 stair.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

14,108 posts, read 7,243,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I agree. But why settle in more than 2 floors? I would advice to limit to just 1 stair.
I'm not sure what you are saying? When I move to my next home, I plan to buy a single floor condo in an elevator building. No stairs.

Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM

1,090 posts, read 592,273 times
One thing about a condo or TH community (besides the other pros & cons), usually all the lawn maintenance will only happen on weekdays. So, you are less likely to be woken up on a weekend morning by an over-eager neighbor deciding to start his mowing or leaf blowing early.

But the neighbor thing, yes, that is one thing that could drive me out of condo/townhouse living. I've been very lucky where I live now, but one neighbor (on my one attached wall) is now selling. I am very worried about who will move in.

Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,156,112 times
Depends on type of condo (high rise multi unit versus townhome side by side clusters), community rules, management (professional or self managed and the competency/ acumen of those elected to board for self managing), amenities (what is important to me personally - I like to swim year round), location (to regular buying patterns) and setting (park like or proximity to park).

SFH same sort of variables: type (ranch one floor living), location (neighborhood), setting (proximity to amenities of importance, view etc...

The wild card will always be nuisance 'neighbors' and other potential nuisances. And they can occur anywhere unless you have enough money where cost budget analysis is not a primary concern.
I prefer top floor condo in a well built (reinforced concrete with cinder block fire walls) in a good location convenient to daily/ weekly living buying patterns.

Advantages with high rise condo with people of different living patterns and well designed security in place is overall security (eyes on property) can't usually get the same level of security unless you spend a lot of money on high tech for a SFH. of course a good dog in a SFH may do the rick but that's something else to care for house and feed and find someone to care for if you like to travel.

The right amenities in smaller condo can easily lead to higher quality of life. Who can afford an indoor accessible all year round swimming pool? Perhaps a SHF close to community rec with a yearly pass or a health orients SFH HOA with club.

Bad neighbors can be anywhere and so can nuisances (SFH owners across street use the stupid leaf blower early on fall weekends AGHHH! Thank goodness for new energy efficient double pane windows.

Basically, it really boils down to each person tolerance and household size (bigger household almost always better in SFH). as single person I get most bang for buck in a condo. I.e. Total lowest fixed cost

I keep pricing SFH in area and the property taxes alone are 3x to 6x more than my condo, not to mention all the higher utility bills (insurance costs, sewer fees, garbage fees, et al (whatever the various local municipalities keep tapping the "Home Owners" for. Since being in multi unit high rise condo I benefit from shared expenses and hvac, water combined in the HOA fees along with usual landscaping, snow removal etc...

I would not be able to save and invest as much of my income, thus the condo makes more sense for me. I.E. total lowest fixed cost and then manage budget from there.

Too many people look at the home ownership purchase equation all wrong as in "what's the largest biggest house I can get for my money", and think stupidly that their house is an investment first rather than their residence for living and basic needs first and a wise investment second (neighborhood / schools etc).

I think one of the reasons for so many foreclosures is tied to this concept and that many people (if they even think) are always pie in the sky positive about making more money or they become wedded to the dream house and then end up having to take on additional work to afford the house they dreamed of 'owning', only to recognize too late, that the house owns them and even though they are building equity they are paying a high "Rent" themselves to the local municipality in property taxes and insurance and utilities etc...

I realize not all areas have high property taxes but they never get lower (except for homestead reductions and owner occupancy credits maybe) and as more municipalities have budget shortfalls, they look to the 'homeowners' as the easiest place to extract more tax revenue whether by levies or fees (garbage, lights, sidewalks etc..).

Old Today, 07:43 AM

2,421 posts, read 2,518,307 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
At my last sfh, we were pretty much surrounded my bad neighbors. Loud, always doing car repair, not mowing their lawns full of weeds, above ground pools, etc. Ugh. Our condo has no rif-raf and is so much quieter now. Not saying their aren't bad condo communities out there, maybe I am just lucky.
Seasonally there are a couple sometimes grumpy bears who occasionally pass through the yard, a bunch of deer who sometimes poop on the lawn and force us to spray the plants. From May to October the groundhogs are annoying. Nevertheless it's very quiet and we've adjusted to them and they to us.

Some day we may have to give up and move to a condo or similar venue.

Old Today, 12:12 PM

1,423 posts, read 514,834 times
Quote:
There is still a difference between having people's feet running literally on top of your head with only a thin layer of sheetrock between you and having bad neighbors that you don't share any walls with. At least there is some distance between you

I could hear people peeing above us in our apartment. Peeing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate