Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 11:34 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,109,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
There is still a difference between having people's feet running literally on top of your head with only a thin layer of sheetrock between you and having bad neighbors that you don't share any walls with. At least there is some distance between you

I could hear people peeing above us in our apartment. Peeing!
then that apartment was extremely poorly constructed.

I own half of a side by side duplex, or paired home as they are called where I live. The party wall is so well constructed that unless my neighbors are banging on it with a hammer, I don't hear them from inside their house at all.

I can hear them when they are outside or if noise comes through their open windows, just like I can with my non-attached neighbor on the other side of my house or the people who are across from me in our shared alley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 03:06 PM

270 posts, read 208,773 times
I prefer SFH over condo because my home my rules...NO HOA. Some condo owner friends told me HOA restrict their activities at their own home.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:43 PM

26 posts, read 39,131 times
Never again, as you could probably tell by my post history. But I suppose it really depends on the complex and your location within it. My initial attraction to condos was that you pay an HOA fee and all the yard work and outside repairs are taken care of by someone else. Less maintenance you have to worry about. If you need something that's cheaper price wise, you can usually get a better deal on a condo than on a house. The higher end condos may include features such as swimming pools, spas, etc.
On the other side of the coin, in many cases, you have to share a close space with other people. Those people can be loud whether it be dogs, parties, kids or heavy walking. The condo may also have poor or no sound proofing which can make things worse. As I've found, the noise can occur at any time day or night - And you may not have much recourse depending on it's source. You might have to reorganize your life around the distractions. You are really taking a big risk if you're living in condos that put you in a closer space with your neighbors, particularly if someone lives above you. Another negative is that you don't own any land and any yard space is communal. You also need to abide by the association's rules such as pet requirements, which may turn some people off.
But, if you're looking in the higher end, many of the negatives can be alleviated. I would consider a condo again if I was going high end. But on the lower end, nope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate