U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 12:49 AM

26 posts, read 14,757 times

Advertisements

I know this is bumping an old thread, but in case anyone was wondering about an update on my situation as it's somewhat interesting (and very unlucky for me)...

It's actually a single person living above me - a (quite large) tap dancer who has been exercising/practicing routines all night. This is why the noise is constant.

He used to get home around 8 PM, but now gets back between 12-1 AM most of the time. This has pushed the window that he could be awake up to 7 or 8 am. So on some nights, the noise could go on throughout nearly the entire period that a person with a regular schedule would be sleeping. I will occasionally get a "lucky" night where it will get quiet by 2 AM, but this is incredibly rare.

I've since spoken with him and called him a few times about the situation. The noise will lessen for a few nights after, but as others have already warned, it just goes back to normal after that. He's promised that he is no longer dancing, but I find that hard to believe as some nights it feels like it's worse than before. I touched base with the condo board, but they said that they can't do anything about walking and their hands are tied unless I can prove he is dancing or exercising. I can't, really.

I've long since decided to move out, but have had two separate incidents which have essentially required me to redo my whole condo (pipe leak and sewage backup), preventing me from going anywhere. To make things worse, the insurance compan(ies) are taking forever to get things settled. Lovely timing, isn't it?

Anyways, I thought people that were following this might have been interested to know what happened. I will definitely be getting out of here ASAP, the time just can't come soon enough. If someone is going through something similar, just be thankful that you don't have a giant, nocturnal tap dancer living above you in a poorly insulated space!

Last edited by kebas239; 05-25-2018 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 01:02 AM

4,796 posts, read 1,827,042 times
My sympathies OP, truly. However, I do want to thank you for giving me the incredibly funny mental image of the "quite large tap dancer" doing his routines upstairs at those hours. As causes of neighbor noise go, this one is rather unique.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 165 times
I moved into a ground floor apartment and everting was great. New tenants moved in above. Nonstop stomping from 4:30 am. Large complex, contacted management. They say the neighbors claim they arenít noisy and it must be coming from another apartment. Theirs is a cookie cutter right on top of mine. A leasing agent came today to witness the noise but the manager in charge says my option is to pay lease termination fee as the upstairs neighbors have a right to live their lives. Iím glad to see here Iím not alone but this doesnít sit right w me. Any time Iím in my apartment it sounds like they will come through the ceiling. Iíve contacted lawyers but not heard back. Iím paying a fortune to live here and finding excuses to be out of my apartment. Any advice welcomed. Thank you. Please excuse the typos. On my phone canít see the whole screen and havenít slept in a while.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:45 PM

6,211 posts, read 3,354,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaamy View Post
I moved into a ground floor apartment and everting was great. New tenants moved in above. Nonstop stomping from 4:30 am. Large complex, contacted management. They say the neighbors claim they arenít noisy and it must be coming from another apartment. Theirs is a cookie cutter right on top of mine. A leasing agent came today to witness the noise but the manager in charge says my option is to pay lease termination fee as the upstairs neighbors have a right to live their lives. Iím glad to see here Iím not alone but this doesnít sit right w me. Any time Iím in my apartment it sounds like they will come through the ceiling. Iíve contacted lawyers but not heard back. Iím paying a fortune to live here and finding excuses to be out of my apartment. Any advice welcomed. Thank you. Please excuse the typos. On my phone canít see the whole screen and havenít slept in a while.

Start saving your pennies so you can buy a single family house. I lived in apartments during my younger days and I don't ever want to have to experience that again.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:05 AM

826 posts, read 254,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kebas239 View Post
I know this is bumping an old thread, but in case anyone was wondering about an update on my situation as it's somewhat interesting (and very unlucky for me)...

It's actually a single person living above me - a (quite large) tap dancer who has been exercising/practicing routines all night. This is why the noise is constant.

He used to get home around 8 PM, but now gets back between 12-1 AM most of the time. This has pushed the window that he could be awake up to 7 or 8 am. So on some nights, the noise could go on throughout nearly the entire period that a person with a regular schedule would be sleeping. I will occasionally get a "lucky" night where it will get quiet by 2 AM, but this is incredibly rare.

I've since spoken with him and called him a few times about the situation. The noise will lessen for a few nights after, but as others have already warned, it just goes back to normal after that. He's promised that he is no longer dancing, but I find that hard to believe as some nights it feels like it's worse than before. I touched base with the condo board, but they said that they can't do anything about walking and their hands are tied unless I can prove he is dancing or exercising. I can't, really.

I've long since decided to move out, but have had two separate incidents which have essentially required me to redo my whole condo (pipe leak and sewage backup), preventing me from going anywhere. To make things worse, the insurance compan(ies) are taking forever to get things settled. Lovely timing, isn't it?

Anyways, I thought people that were following this might have been interested to know what happened. I will definitely be getting out of here ASAP, the time just can't come soon enough. If someone is going through something similar, just be thankful that you don't have a giant, nocturnal tap dancer living above you in a poorly insulated space!
Yes thanks so much for the update. My God, You poor soul having to put up with this. And to think this is one guy and a tap dancer! He must be off his rocker too to think this dancing and tapping would be acceptable in an upstairs unit. Good grief! Literally crazy situation. Good luck with your house hunting.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:01 AM

4,544 posts, read 1,806,603 times
I see the OP was here a few months ago.. wonder how things are. Some people should definitely NOT live above others, but are not self-aware or don't care.

I've been a renter in a unit for many years and have a thoughtless bozo living above me. A couple of others were also unpleasant, but most were fine. (I am older and seeking appropriate income-based housing which is not readily available, so I am still stuck here). The guy's schedule has him leaving in the afternoon, returning before 11:00 pm. Then, he makes his "living noise" from that time until 4:00-5:00 am. His having a recliner right over my head, I hear every time he gets up and down - bam-BAM - most times doing so every few minutes. He repeatedly walks to the kitchen and back, clunks something, then plops down again, until a few minutes later. On his day off, the noises are all day and night.

He bangs around, walks heavily and fast, at times dropping heavy objects, opens and closes all windows forcefully any time of day. The ceiling sounds like "cracking and snapping" with each step, which the manager has never been able to witness. (I have tried recording with the iPad, since it is all I have and do get some sound, but not to the level necessary).

Initially, he would play his stereo BASS noise all night or loud, rumbling TV noise, having taken four months before the manager got him to stop. I was glad that it was at least over for a period, yet a couple of months ago, I began hearing TV noise again. Not the same as it once was, but will hear a steady murmuring right above my head, while having my TV low at about 7 1/2 feet away (same layout). It may sound silly, but it is conflicting sound. Turning up my volume doesn't help, just being noisier and can still hear his. I had spoken to the manager again who later went to speak to him, but hadn't come to my apartment to hear how it sounded in here, saying that she "didn't think it was too loud". So, on it goes.

I would go into the bedroom, but he walks back and forth all over the apartment, some nights worse than others. Then, his adult daughter visits / stays often or some other female will arrive at 3:00 am sometimes, so there is MORE walking around all over. What is especially nice is the big ((( SQUEAK ))) in one spot, every time one leaves or enters the bedroom. It is said it cannot be repaired. (I wonder how the next tenant will like this place, especially if this freak is still here, assuming I'll be able to move). So, I wait for quiet, in order to sleep and have had to be on his schedule, then he wakes me. Earplugs are unhelpful. I sometimes nap when he is gone. It's all screwed up..sleep, days, my head.

The frustration:

* The manager is not going to visit him or witness anything here after hours.
* If he has a day off, being irregular, she may not be available at the time or "is off" that day.
* If she says she "will call him", he never answers and has never called her back, so that is pointless. Time passes, there is no follow-up, is taken lightly, isn't resolved.
* If one has a late schedule, habits and preferences that they do not want to alter and walk very hard, they should not be living above others. I think he should be told it is unacceptable.
* I attempted the usual suggestions early on, being useless.
* Being unable to have witnesses to, which I believe would prove to be disruptive to anyone.
* Though I have told some neighbors and others, no one knows what I experience.
* I am stuck. I had said I might take even a smaller unit here possibly, then was told that one needs to reapply even if going to another unit. (I transferred to this unit a long while ago and hadn't done that then).
* It was mentioned to have him moved to another unit his size, but no one is vacating.

I am one of those who is respectful and would not disturb others any time, keeping my TV at a normal volume to hear from a few feet, for one thing. He should be able to do that, but won't. He should be considerate, but is an immature, selfish person near age 60 and should know better. I feel this is not his first rodeo.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 12-12-2018 at 05:10 AM..

Old Today, 06:07 AM

1 posts
I have the same issue, except the neighbors have a baby that is up all night with them. And they don't mind construction sounds at 2-3am. They literally go to bed when I wake up and wake up when I go to bed. Its very strange and I suspect they are meth addicts.

So, I started making as much noise as I can during the day, blasting music, the works, hoping it will cause them to lose sleep and think about what they're doing.

Calling the police over a noise complaint did nothing to stop their horrid behavior. And it's like they never relax, always noise all night long. We are losing so much sleep. Even my heavy sleeper boyfriend can't sleep through it. It does affect your health! We have been so cranky and exhausted that it's even affecting our 4 year relationship.

I'm about to look at my lease to see what I can do about this.

Old Today, 03:27 PM

28,472 posts, read 43,874,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanucPhobia View Post
I have the same issue, except the neighbors have a baby that is up all night with them. And they don't mind construction sounds at 2-3am. They literally go to bed when I wake up and wake up when I go to bed. Its very strange and I suspect they are meth addicts.
Some people do work nights - or simply keep weird hours. I keep exact opposite hours from my landlords (who live above me), and I'm certainly not a meth addict. Just a night owl with late work hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or