U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 07:17 PM

527 posts, read 141,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
I haven't spent much time there, but it seems like a pretty nice place.
Lol, that's what I thought at first. I guess they meant noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 07:22 PM

9 posts, read 3,302 times
Thank you all for the replies. Seems the general consensus is that things probably won't improve and I will have to move and to make the best of it for now. At least I know that I'm not alone. The lack of sleep and noise is just so draining and makes life feel miserable. I will definitely be approaching the neighbors and hope that there is something that can be done although I feel it will have little, if any, effect.

To answer a few that have asked, yes, I do own the condo. In fact, I paid it off recently. It was inexpensive however, and I do not currently have much stashed away. I had initially planned to move at some point in the near future (perhaps a few years). The problem with moving right now is if I were to buy a house within an hour of where I live, it would cost me around 150k to get something halfway decent. That would be difficult for me right now, although possible. I was really hoping to do that as a last resort, but it appears as if I don't have any other (feasible) options.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:46 PM

8,766 posts, read 6,005,355 times
I HATE that. You know you could catch them outside and give them a sleazy grin and comment on how much you enjoy their midnight wrestling matches. *wink wink* Maybe they'll try to be a little more quiet?

I just finished up 45 days as a FEMA volunteer. I had a roomate who was up until 2am and watched TV with the volume up, snacked on crunchy stuff in loud wrappers, rummaged in drawers, etc. I was about to quit and come home but they FINALLY moved me. It makes me want to cry when I can't get good sleep. So inconsiderate.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:13 PM

7,124 posts, read 6,409,174 times
Aggravate your landlord as much as they are bothering you.

If you start calling your landlord in the middle of the night every time they start acting up, believe me your landlord will put an end to it.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:55 PM

2,854 posts, read 5,180,217 times
The OP stated they owned the condo, why would they have a landlord ?? Renters have landlords, owners deal with their Condo Association board which would be the logical next step.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:01 PM

2,854 posts, read 5,180,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Oh, whoops. Sorry I didn't pick up on it .
No offense taken.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:27 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,092,631 times
The big thing is that the new neighbors start to get extremely active at around 11 PM during the week, and will constantly walk back and forth until about 4 or 5 AM. It's very abnormal. Whoever it is will walk from one side of the condo to the other, stop for 10 seconds, return, then rinse and repeat.

but just for the sake of speculation- what in the world could they be doing? I ask because this has happened to us in several timeshares we have stayed in. This also involved rolling a heavy patio door back and forth repeatedly (oceanfront complex) I remember turning to my husband and saying wtf can't they just sit on the couch and play with their phone or watch TV like everyone else? What could they possibly be doing? Sorry Op we could head home after a week- you are really stuck.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:26 PM

10,319 posts, read 16,724,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
The big thing is that the new neighbors start to get extremely active at around 11 PM during the week, and will constantly walk back and forth until about 4 or 5 AM. It's very abnormal. Whoever it is will walk from one side of the condo to the other, stop for 10 seconds, return, then rinse and repeat.

but just for the sake of speculation- what in the world could they be doing? I ask because this has happened to us in several timeshares we have stayed in. This also involved rolling a heavy patio door back and forth repeatedly (oceanfront complex) I remember turning to my husband and saying wtf can't they just sit on the couch and play with their phone or watch TV like everyone else? What could they possibly be doing? Sorry Op we could head home after a week- you are really stuck.
It's probably just that they work second shift, get off work at 10, come home at 11 and do all the things people do when they get home from work...cook dinner, do a load of laundry, etc. It's just that it's louder because the building was not built well.

One thing that might help is for the upstairs people to get a rug, if they don't have carpeting. That helps absorb some sound and makes footsteps softer.

Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM

1,420 posts, read 514,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kebas239 View Post
Thank you all for the replies. Seems the general consensus is that things probably won't improve and I will have to move and to make the best of it for now. At least I know that I'm not alone. The lack of sleep and noise is just so draining and makes life feel miserable. I will definitely be approaching the neighbors and hope that there is something that can be done although I feel it will have little, if any, effect.

To answer a few that have asked, yes, I do own the condo. In fact, I paid it off recently. It was inexpensive however, and I do not currently have much stashed away. I had initially planned to move at some point in the near future (perhaps a few years). The problem with moving right now is if I were to buy a house within an hour of where I live, it would cost me around 150k to get something halfway decent. That would be difficult for me right now, although possible. I was really hoping to do that as a last resort, but it appears as if I don't have any other (feasible) options.
It's awful, I really sympathize with you. I think you said you tried earplugs? Those orange ones from 3M are amazing if you haven't tried them yet. One thing that helped keep my sanity was going away once in a while on the weekends. Just for a quick overnight, somewhere, anywhere, where they weren't. Taking a two-day breather from the bad energy in that apartment really helped me

I hope you can find a place where you can have some peace and quiet and not have to deal with this ever again. Hang in there.

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

2,595 posts, read 2,692,890 times
Sell it! Buyers won't know about the noise, cause it's gonna be shown during the day. Time to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate