Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 09:08 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
When they're having sex and she's about to climax, smash on the ceiling with a broom handle right underneath them. I found that to be quite effective.
Not if they come after you with intent to do harm . You could P.O. the wrong people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 04:15 PM

731 posts, read 678,780 times
I guess people live in anthills like this because they have to. I am so glad to live in the country on a dirt road. The only loud thing out here is the coyotes and owls.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:19 PM

457 posts, read 693,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kebas239 View Post
LONG POST
This happened to me. I tried all the options that you have listed, and you want to know the only way I found relief? I had to move. Hope this helps.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:21 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
All the folks that keep insisting OP talk to the neighbors, have you ever successfully done so yourself? Neighbors that clomp and bang nonstop for hours on end (remember, this is constant for 5+ hours) KNOW they are disturbing others. They do not care. This is self absorbed, obnoxious behavior. At best, and this is absolute fairy tale happy ending best, they will simmer down for a period of time before ramping back up, and will start responding with sarcasm and hostility to any future complaints when they do. There's just no point.
The last place I rented before buying a small SFH had neighbors with hardwood floors who stomped around like elephants despite being average size people. I left a nice note on their door shortly after they moved in and the wife came down with flowers and an apology! I was shocked. But unfortunately with hardwood floors in a building that was now a condo but previously an apartment complex it was impossible to have complete quiet.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:41 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
My last relocation was to a townhome I purchased that was built in the mid 1970's. The neighbors were not joking when they told me the place was built like a s___ brickhouse (where on earth did that phrase come from). While the walls are not 12 inches of poured concrete, they are cinder block on all 4 walls and no shared walls share cinderblock. I believe there is poured concrete between units, but not 12 inches. I have never heard my neighbor (end unit), with the exception of once: I heard a scream, and some thumping, which was EMS responding to a heart attack call - but I heard this thru our windows that were each open a couple inches.

There is a downside (far cheaper than offering to share carpeting expense) which is any time I need something hung on an outside wall of my unit, I am calling a handyman to drill......and even then, all handymen are not created equal (that's for another thread).

Old 12-20-2017, 08:06 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
If moving isn't an option at the moment, what about sleeping in the lower bunk of a bunk bed with acoustic curtains?

https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/a...l_curtains.htm

Old 12-20-2017, 08:09 AM

If that doesn't work, you might want to build or buy a canopy bed and put acoustic panels on the top and sides. Build your own cone of silence.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:11 AM

Create opportunities to meet your neighbors. Always nice to know those you live around.

But I wouldn't get too hopeful about getting them to curtail their activities to meet your needs for peace and quiet.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:28 AM

Fascinating article on the difference between blocking versus absorbing sound.

https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/b...f-0864c1c0ae29

Old 12-29-2017, 05:18 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,282 times
People keep saying it's a construction issue, except it's not. The OP didn't have this issue with the previous neighbor. The new neighbor is a jerk. I had this experience when I lived in an apartment. No issues above me until I got a new neighbor. STOMPING like an elephant 24/7. When I pounded on the ceiling with a broom stick, the douche came down and tried to confront me.

Long story short, the landlord was an idiot, even the reviews after I moved out said she did nothing and was a horrible manager. I broke my lease and bought a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate