U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

323 posts, read 260,950 times

Advertisements

My RE agent said it would be a good idea to be at the inspection. I have some furnishings that if the buyer would like, I would be willing to sell.

The RE said it would be a good idea to be there, to meet the buyer and answer any questions. I have never had a seller there during inspection when I have purchased in the past. I did not have an inspection on the currently under contract property (low rise condo).

I said I would be there for about 1/2 an hour then leave. Should I really be there at all? I do not want to make the buyer uncomfortable. He is buying the property for an investment only and is going to rent it out.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

2,102 posts, read 5,456,211 times
Sellers should never be there at the time of inspection. The buyers should be left alone with their inspector and real estate agent. Buyers are paying for the inspectors time. Leave a sticker on the personal property you are considering selling and let the agent know.

Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM

1,769 posts, read 893,188 times
I have actually never been sorry to have the owner present when my buyers have been at the property. Just happened again yesterday.... not for inspection, yet, but for the first showing.... and the owner definitely helped explain and sell the house.

It may not make sense for a condo in town to have an owner hanging around watching TV (which has happened!), but it definitely makes sense for the country properties and farms we often look at with clients to have the owner there and helping to show buyers around. On complex properties, owners have a wealth of knowledge about the property features, the outbuildings, systems, soils, flood plains, wildlife and neighbors. They can be a great benefit to explain WHY things are the way they are.

I have also had the owner present during inspection, and it was good to have her there and hearing the inspector call out things. She didn't follow him around, but she was there and could hear the summary when the inspector was done, and he took her over and pointed to a few things. She already knew what was coming in the report and why and even agreed verbally to make some of the the simple changes called for. Switch out that outlet? OK... we can do that.

For you as seller, I would caution against making such agreements on the spot unless it's something easy and inexpensive you obviously should take care of, but IMHO it's not bad to be there and listen if they want to show you something.

I'm not one who is afraid to let the buyers and sellers meet. In my experience, it has always resulted in better information and communication between the parties.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; Yesterday at 10:43 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

50 posts, read 12,639 times
With a property I sold, I was present for most showings and professional visits. As the seller, I discovered that a lot would have fallen through the cracks had I not taken an active role in the process. Ex-Revealing all the amenities of the home, accurate answers to upkeep concerns

I particularly liked being present during the appraisal and inspection because I was able to pick up on their body language and hear their comments about the property with my own ears. If the buyer wanted a small thing fixed and the inspector acted like it wasn’t a big deal, I negotiated it. Had I not not been present and the seriousness was overplayed, I would have paid for it.

I think the seller is as much of the process as the buyer.

Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

2,045 posts, read 4,281,710 times
> My RE agent said it would be a good idea to be at the inspection.

Unless there is some unusual circumstance having the seller present is unlikely to be helpful and may be a negative.

> I have some furnishings that if the buyer would like, I would be willing to sell.

Sticky notes.

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

7,506 posts, read 8,767,986 times
Seems like most inspections take about 2-hours -- and even buyers often don't show-up, but, instead wait for the complete inspection report.

As a seller, it could be an advantage to you to see what the inspector sees for future reference, but, a potential disadvantage to be confronted by a buyer who will likely ask you to make on-the-spot decisions about 'fixing' perceived shortcomings. (Note: Inspectors invariably come-up with a list of things as he/she finds them. Do you intend to discuss each one, as they arise, with the buyer?)

IMO, there is a greater risk of doing damage to a pending sale by being there, than an advantage to be served by further answering questions.

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

3,975 posts, read 1,931,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
Sellers should never be there at the time of inspection. The buyers should be left alone with their inspector and real estate agent. Buyers are paying for the inspectors time. Leave a sticker on the personal property you are considering selling and let the agent know.
The two times I sold a house the inspector showed up and the buyer didn't. So I did the walkthrough with the inspector. I never met the buyers of either house.

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

469 posts, read 584,235 times
The sellers refused to leave during my home inspection. It was a complete cluster**** and I was extremely pissed.

Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

510 posts, read 171,178 times
I HATE it when sellers are present at inspection. We want to get to know the house and talk about the condition without a biased party present.

Arrange a time before the inspection or after (or even on a different day) to chat about the possible sale items.

Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

28,618 posts, read 50,873,029 times
Nuf said:

Should Sellers be home for buyers at showings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate