Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 10:54 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I am very glad that I didn't put it in quotes then! I made a mistake!
I can safely say this - The OP did something stupid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 10:55 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
No he didn't. That is your interpretation of this: "... they had Strong belief toward the structure of the living area"

This is the only description of what happened that the OP gave us and no one knows what it means. And now you have Brandon believing your made up stuff. Don't do this. He's very impressionable.
Well, there is a bit more to the quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman790 View Post
... My wife and teens have some strong belief towards the structure of the living area and they conveyed that requirement as a complete deal-breaker in the first meeting itself. However after visiting first few homes when my wife reminded the agent that none of the homes met her most important criteria than agent started to almost laugh as my wife is a dumb person. ... ...

You might could say that the OP is saying the agent "made the OP's family feel dumb/stupid/vapid, whatever..."
Can we accept "stupid" as a synonym of "dumb," in colloquial conversation?
I would.
Dissed, so it may be.
"He disrespected us."

Old 12-14-2017, 11:10 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Not knowing the agency contract in your state, it's hard to answer. However, in general, his contract is with your firm. So, you get the firm to assign him to someone else.
Is my broker liable when he kills the new agent?

Old 12-14-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

You might could say that the OP is saying the agent "made the OP's family feel dumb/stupid/vapid, whatever..."
I would.
Dissed, so it may be.
"He disrespected us."
The whole thing to me has me wanting to ask if these buyers may have been unrealistic as far as what their money would buy. Still shouldn't be disrespectful to clients, but something clearly happened here that the OP isn't telling us. I have a feeling there may be fault on both sides.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
The whole thing to me has me wanting to ask if these buyers may have been unrealistic as far as what their money would buy. Still shouldn't be disrespectful to clients, but something clearly happened here that the OP isn't telling us. I have a feeling there may be fault on both sides.
Oh, yeah.
Where's Paul Harvey, with "The Rest of the Story?"

Old 12-14-2017, 11:30 AM

Or maybe this: Strong belief toward the structure of the living area? is actually what the buyer said to the agent and he couldn't help but laugh.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:59 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Reminds me of a situation I had recently...Short version of how there are 2 sides to every story.

I was referred to a couple selling a home. I consult with them about repairs/renovations to get it ready for market. About a month later they are almost done with the home and it's vacant so they ask me to go have a look. I could let myself in using the lockbox I already had on the door. I get there and an older man is there doing some work. I ring the doorbell and nothing. I ring it again a minute later and he opens the door. I introduce myself and he stares at me with a blank look. I tell him owners (by name) asked me to come have a look. He says fine and asks me a few questions about work to be done. He's kind of got a grumpy demeanor the whole time. Later that day I get an call that the that their father was irate about how rude an arrogant I was. (first time it's ever happened) He's angry that I didn't introduce myself. Turns out he doesn't hear well so I'm guessing he didn't hear me at all or didn't understand what I was saying. Sellers decide they have to go another direction because of how badly I disrespected their father. (who never told me who I was.) So anyway, 2 sides to every story.

Side note, he was there when I went back to get the lockbox off door and he was a complete jerk about it. I just apologized for the misunderstanding and left.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:47 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
If it's 'pretty clear' then why can't anyone simply explain what the heck this is supposed to mean. As a consumer, at what point can I no longer terminate this agreement? You don't have to answer for me but it would be helpful to consumers to give views on this. And 'pretty clear' is a pretty low bar for standard terms in a contract.

If it's when an offer is placed on a home, then it should say that. If it's when an offer is accepted, it should say that. If it's up to the point when the agent takes you to a home and you say that you absolutely love it, then it should say that. Or if you say you are 'interested in making an offer'. If it's something else, then it should say what that something else is.

So if it's 100% clear, why can't anyone explain it in simple terms?
Again, it is simply when the buyer finds the house they intend to put an offer in on.

Did you think that it wasn't specific in the details because the specifying language could leave a buyer too much room to wiggle out? If you put in "after an offer is written," then that leaves open the possibility of an agent doing all the work for the buyer, having the buyer suddenly terminate, and find out the house is under contract the next day? As you surely know, a good contract protects both sides. Specifying it so closely wouldn't do much to protect the exclusivity the agent needs.

If you were to specify as when the agent writes the offer, how does that protect an agent from doing all the unpaid legwork, showing the house, etc, only to have the rug pulled out from underneath him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
JONOV, please. I fully understand 'good faith'. I've been deeply involved in contracts with values worth multiple $100s of millions. It's not about what happens in court - by that time, all kinds of unnecessary problems have already arisen...it's too late. If I wasn't clear enough, the 'unchecked discretion' is most likely to play out like I described in my last post. First time buyer says he wants to terminate "like it says in my contract". Agent says "well y'all can't terminate now, I've written an offer for y'all". First time buyer doesn't feel right about it. is afraid. Doesn't want to be sued. Feels he's been wronged but not really sure. Agent says that it's standard text that he always uses and anyone with a brain knows that you can't terminate after ____(whatever he wants to say). Buyer is a landscaper with the parks department and doesn't do contracts. Thought he could terminate until he bought his house. Wants to get a lawyer to help fight for him and defend the agent's broker's threat to sue him if he doesn't pay. Wife says "honey, we don't have no money for no lawyer if he's going to sue us over this here mess." "Yeah, you're right. how can we fight a big company like this". Conflict escalates. Could have been avoided or at least minimized if all was clear at the beginning. Lesson learned. Next time find an agent that knows how to write a contract and, more importantly, who can communicate simply and clearly.
There is understanding contracts on a professional level, and understanding the concept of a contract in general. Even Joe Landscaper has signed contracts with his landlord, employer, parole officer, Bass Boat financing company...

If Joe Landscaper is a competent adult, he understands what "going under contract" to purchase a house means, meaning he's obligated to buy the house, and has written a check to the buyer (at least in NC) that he will never see again if he backs out (Due diligence fee.) He certainly can't argue at that point that the house isn't "suitable," since at that point he's agreed to buy it.

So even if he's so dense as to argue that he thought he could back out of the agreement after the offer was accepted, anyone and everyone involved will tell him that he's wrong. Feelings hurt? Sure. My college roommate felt our landlord was obligated to fix his car when a tree branch fell on it. He wasn't. My roommate's feelings were hurt. He went to the student legal aid department, and even they told him that just because he thought the landlord should have spent more money on tree-trimmers, doesn't mean that its his fault a branch came down in an ice storm that took out power for half the county.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:25 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

I would.
Dissed, so it may be.
"He disrespected us."
You did leave out the last sentence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman790 View Post
After that, both of them had a heated argument for 3-4 minutes and I had to step in.
I’m sure OP’s wife wasn’t innocent, but that does sound unprofessional (as does refusing to cancel the contract at OP’s request). But hey, at least it seems like this agent actually recommended houses to OP on his own. I feel like many agents don’t really do that much anymore.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
You did leave out the last sentence:

I’m sure OP’s wife wasn’t innocent, but that does sound unprofessional (as does refusing to cancel the contract at OP’s request). But hey, at least it seems like this agent actually recommended houses to OP on his own. I feel like many agents don’t really do that much anymore.
Well, I was hung up on the "dumb/stupid" dynamic.

Oh, I am certain that it takes two to tango...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate