Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 02:56 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,603,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by switzerlandgal View Post
Two families have purchased homes in Goshen Valley area of Church Hill, TN - a beautiful area - if you don’t count the car junkyards— but were not advised by realtors of the lack of broadband internet service. As people with children, businesses, and those trying to get an education this is a sad state of affairs. Welcome to the modern world of East Tennessee!
dont know the state, but if they had buyer's agents they have every right to be upset. the buyer's agent picks up tens of thousands of dollars. They should be looking out for the client in a real and meaningful way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 03:15 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,903,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
dont know the state, but if they had buyer's agents they have every right to be upset. the buyer's agent picks up tens of thousands of dollars. They should be looking out for the client in a real and meaningful way.
I'm not sure exactly what the OP is looking for, but it appears there are at least two cable internet providers and one DSL internet providers in his zip code. Perhaps this band isn't broad enough for the OP's needs, but I would suggest that if someone is looking for something beyond the norm, one should make it a point to ask about it.

https://broadbandnow.com/Tennessee/C...Hill?zip=37642

Old 12-12-2017, 03:17 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,388,195 times
My gosh, whatever happened to the buyer just researching it themselves? Or ASKING the question for that matter? Why would anyone just assume something if it's that important to them?

It's that important to me because I love streaming services and when my husband is gone, which is a lot, I usually binge on something online. When we were looking at homes about four years ago, I wouldn't even consider any place that didn't have high speed internet with streaming services and my realtor knew it was mandatory.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:55 PM

37,281 posts, read 61,045,095 times
I have known at least a dozen people who moved to my state, that all say when they were researching various towns, the ISPs all 'say' that they provide service to X town. But once you live there, then they will decide to be honest and admit the town is outside of their service area.

One friend in particular was a connectivity tech for an ISP in her previous state. When she moved here, she would call a phone company and ask to speak with their service techs. Within a few minutes the service techs would admit if they served the area, or not, and what kind of through-put they were able to offer.

It is NOT just realtors who lie, cheat and horse-trade.

I have stories about the lying realtors I have dealt with, but a Mod asked me to stop telling those stories on City-Data.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:24 PM

6,408 posts, read 7,620,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I totally agree that the "agents" should be doing the right thing but often their own selfish interest take over resulting in many posts on CD begging for help. Sadly, if the public accepts their treatment, and those of other commissioned salespeople, there isn't much we can do but try to educate each other. I also agree that any buyer needs to wake up and pay attention knowing this is the climate we have in the marketplace.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:34 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,388,195 times
People need to take responsibility though for their own research within reason. Researching internet options is within reason in my opinion.

It's one thing if you ask your realtor, "Is there high speed internet out here?" and he/she says, "Absolutely!" and then there's not. I mean, that's irresponsible of both parties at best.

But to not even ask the question and just assume there's high speed internet, or a good school, or no plans for a freeway running through one's back yard (hint - go visit City Hall and ask for a five year and twenty year plan for the city), or to just assume that trash pickup is by the city rather than by a private contractor - that sort of thing is on the buyer in my opinion.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:31 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,983,213 times
I live in a rural area with Fiber Optic. Sometimes my connection speed is about 8KBPS. And I am picking up the same fiber optic network from my landlord, the local library, and another open public network. Sometimes they are all down. Just because they call it broadband doesn't mean it is that great.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,318,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switzerlandgal View Post
Two families have purchased homes in Goshen Valley area of Church Hill, TN - a beautiful area - if you don’t count the car junkyards— but were not advised by realtors of the lack of broadband internet service. As people with children, businesses, and those trying to get an education this is a sad state of affairs. Welcome to the modern world of East Tennessee!
Ah, sounds like someone who normally posts in the CA forum, saying how much better it is to live in TN than CA LOLOL! And as we always say, you get what you pay for. There's always a reason something is cheaper.

But, really, that surely can't be a realtor's job. To tell you something not related to the structure and land. Are they also supposed to warn you about the local gossip, etc.? To guarantee the weather or nice neighbors?

Yeesh, lazy people are always looking for someone to blame - other than themselves.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
POTS will always be available.
parents over the shoulder? What are you talking about?

Old 12-12-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
They also won't tell you if the town makes you pay $2.50 for every bag of trash you put out for trash pickup--something I'd never even heard of before moving to Exeter NH.

There are few things a real estate agent (or even the home seller) is legally required to disclose, and some things they only must disclose when you ask specifically about them. And unfortunately, even when the seller and/or real estate agent knowingly hold back information they are legally required to disclose, you're hosed. I once bought a house that the seller "forgot" to disclose was losing the entire front lawn and parking area (1/3 of the lot) under eminent domain to widen the road. It would have cost a fortune to sue, and all I would get would be a voiding of the sale--meaning the house was no longer mine, but recovering a penny of the $100,000 cost was pretty much impossible. BTW, the "fair market value" you get under eminent domain means "whatever they feel like giving you" -- I got $600 for losing 1/3 of the property and having to create a driveway and parking area in the remaining space. Some states are toxic, and RI is one of them.

It's a good idea to poll all the neighbors near the house you're considering buying, and asking them (1) what they dislike about living in the area, and (2) what surprised them most when they moved in and started living there.

Unfortunately, there are so many things that relate only to certain areas, and it is very difficult to know what to ask when moving to a different area, or an area unlike the ones you are familiar with (urban vs rural).
Wouldn't that be covered in your title insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate