Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 01:57 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Good example of what sellers face these days though - you raised kids in a house with only 1.5 bathrooms but today's buyers would pretty much rule that out without even looking.

And in reality, I'm one of them, I wasn't willing to even consider something with less than 2 full baths (and at a minimum a half bath on any floor with living space).

Just shows how times have changed.
Indeed.

We hadn't given it a thought until she mentioned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 02:00 PM

Her advice to stage it for a couple or a single person was right on. A number of families toured. Each one said that not having two full bathrooms was a deal breaker for them.

She also advised us to pull up our worn carpet. Said the hardwood floors underneath, even if they needed to be refinished, were much more attractive to buyers. She was right about that.

We had professional cleaners come through before the photos. They mopped the floor with a product that made them look gorgeous.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:52 PM

1,066 posts, read 766,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Her advice to stage it for a couple or a single person was right on. A number of families toured. Each one said that not having two full bathrooms was a deal breaker for them.

She also advised us to pull up our worn carpet. Said the hardwood floors underneath, even if they needed to be refinished, were much more attractive to buyers. She was right about that.

We had professional cleaners come through before the photos. They mopped the floor with a product that made them look gorgeous.
Interesting. I guess we will probably market to families then given there are 3 bathrooms and a rough-in for a fourth in the unfinished basement. That's a good point to consider, thanks!

I am currently going though and stripping the grout on the porcelain areas to bring it back to it's former warm gray shade, then resealing it. Wow, that makes a big difference just by itself. I use a floor scrubber to clean it but after time cleaning agents have darkened the grout. Didn't realize how dark it had become.

Will see what sorts of comments we get about carpet vs. hardwood, but definitely are going to leave the carpet in at least at first.

I am a professional photographer (mostly architectural and real estate) so will be doing the photos and 360 vids (have already started the process). Makes me crazy to see poorly done real estate shots, skewed and raked angles, poor lighting and off-key color balance.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Just put it on the market. You never know what buyers will prefer, including what style hardwood.
Exactly. People around here still seem to be on the handscraped shabby barn look bandwagon whereas I love a hardwood floor with a nice dark oak-y finish. I'm definitely in the minority around here. To me, the wide plank handscraped look would be a definite turnoff. I'd rather buy a cheaper house and put in flooring I like.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:16 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I concur

If it ain't broke... don't fix it.
Clean it? Sure!
^^^^This.

We recently sold our 20 year old house which still had the original carpets on the top 2 floors. Since we had put in upgraded carpet, it held up very well. We had it cleaned and our buyer had no complaints about it.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
Interesting. I guess we will probably market to families then given there are 3 bathrooms and a rough-in for a fourth in the unfinished basement. That's a good point to consider, thanks!

I am currently going though and stripping the grout on the porcelain areas to bring it back to it's former warm gray shade, then resealing it. Wow, that makes a big difference just by itself. I use a floor scrubber to clean it but after time cleaning agents have darkened the grout. Didn't realize how dark it had become.

Will see what sorts of comments we get about carpet vs. hardwood, but definitely are going to leave the carpet in at least at first.

I am a professional photographer (mostly architectural and real estate) so will be doing the photos and 360 vids (have already started the process). Makes me crazy to see poorly done real estate shots, skewed and raked angles, poor lighting and off-key color balance.
Cleaning the grout sounds like just the ticket.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:41 PM

Part of staging it for couples or a single person involved turning one of the four bedrooms into an office and another one into a work out room, leaving a master bedroom and a guest bedroom.

Another thing she had us do was get rid of our dresser and put a chair and a lamp in that corner.

I asked if people wouldn't recognize there was no dresser. She said if they did, they wouldn't remember. But they would remember that the master bedroom had room for a sitting area, and that they would recall it as spacious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate