Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 04:22 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times

Advertisements

I would guess that most people give people a shot at the job.....then you can look over there ideas and they submit an estimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 04:31 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
For a room addition and garage with standard wiring and little or no plumbing, most contractors can provide drawings that will pass the county planning commission. You don't need an architect.

Or you can hire a draftsman to draw basic plans. Try your local college
How'd you get so smart?
My other has drawn up plans before. As he just said, "that's why you hire a General Contractor, to deal with the Building Department"

Old 12-24-2017, 05:18 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,586,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I am looking to do a house addition, and will need an architect. I want to build a big living room plus a garage, perhaps 1000 sqft in size.

I really have no special requirement for this new addition; I'm happy just to buy an off-the-shelf plan of a design that looks pleasant to me. I have flipped thru plans and many are acceptable. My main use of architect is really to deal with the building department on my behalf.

I looked at a few lists of architecture firms in my area, all advertise how great their style is, which is not what I need. More important, they look VERY expensive. Some outright suggest a starting project value in the millions.

How do I go about finding an architect service that is just barebone and inexpensive, if such a thing exists? If I assume $150-200 per sqft, this is perhaps a $200K project.
Why would you need an architect for such a simple addition? A good carpentry crew or contractor would have plenty of approved and appropriate designs on hand and would know how to carry out the work. Many architects wouldn't know the difference between a nail gun and a paper stapler.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:25 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,229 times
For a fairly simply project design-wise, you might want to look for a contractor who offers Design/Build service. Here's a quick explanation:
https://www.dbia.org/about/Pages/Wha...ign-Build.aspx

Old 12-25-2017, 12:56 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I am looking to do a house addition, and will need an architect. I want to build a big living room plus a garage, perhaps 1000 sqft in size.

I really have no special requirement for this new addition; I'm happy just to buy an off-the-shelf plan of a design that looks pleasant to me. I have flipped thru plans and many are acceptable. My main use of architect is really to deal with the building department on my behalf.

I looked at a few lists of architecture firms in my area, all advertise how great their style is, which is not what I need. More important, they look VERY expensive. Some outright suggest a starting project value in the millions.

How do I go about finding an architect service that is just barebone and inexpensive, if such a thing exists? If I assume $150-200 per sqft, this is perhaps a $200K project.
I asked a friend who had done an addition for a reference. I told the architect to whom I was referred that I only wanted to pay for the bare minimum and he assigned the project to a young kid just out of architecture school; I wound up paying $8000 for the drawings for a roughly $180K project. The kid made a few mistakes but it worked out well, since my builder and I were able to work out the kinks on site. You might try that approach.

p.s. this was in 2008 so prices may have risen.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:25 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
around here, some architects advertise they will draw plans "as built," which means they help get your unpermitted house legal. They seem to be the most flexible and affordable option, even for permitted additions.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:57 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
For a fairly simply project design-wise, you might want to look for a contractor who offers Design/Build service. Here's a quick explanation:
https://www.dbia.org/about/Pages/Wha...ign-Build.aspx
I didn't know that this type of contractor existed. This is exactly what I need. Thanks so much for posting this link. I really hope I am able to find someone like this in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate