Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:52 AM

7 posts, read 7,188 times

Advertisements

I was gifted the house while they were still alive. My grandparents couldn't maintain the land and they didn't want to sell it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 09:12 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Are the taxes up-to-date? You can usually find out online if you're not sure. Probably, since you've been there a couple of years.

Interesting you say it's livable but it needs a new foundation and roof. Probably foundation work and.... what do you mean roof? Decking? Shingles?

I was a single mom in a money-pit kind of house. I couldn't afford anything really. Wrong kind of house for me. Someone will want it, though. I'd list it for $35K. That's almost cash price for many. If someone wants it they'll make you an offer. I wouldn't dicker around too much about it, though, if you get someone interested.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:27 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasga1521 View Post
I was gifted the house while they were still alive. My grandparents couldn't maintain the land and they didn't want to sell it.
That's too bad! You need to seek advice from a tax professional to find out if there's any way you can step up the basis. The foundation issues are going to be a red flag for many buyers. You actually might be better off selling to one of the "we buy houses cheap" investment firms if your goal is simply to unload the property. But beware, you want to watch these guys like a hawk. Have a lawyer review any contract they want you to sign.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:12 AM

I was gifted the house while they were still living.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:15 AM

The roof is not leaking anymore. We made small patches. But it definitely needs a new roof.shingles and decking Im sure. It also needs new siding.
I would love to get as much as could out of the deal but Im so afraid I would have to wait around a lot longer and I hate to do that. but I definitely don't want to just throw it away.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:37 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
What are your plans for the future? Do you have better financial options elsewhere? If not, a roof over your head is a great relief, even if it needs work.
If they gifted it to you and they've been dead a few years, what have you been doing for the past few years?

Old 01-04-2018, 11:51 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
this is all WAY above your level of understanding. Start with a real-estate/estate attorney (perhaps who has helped you to date).

I'm not an attorney, but I can't imagine any letter -notarized or not - that "gifts" you a piece of real property matters. The DEED in your name does.

Everything has been ignored for 2 years. Your best outcome may not be 2 years from now, but it requires specific steps as advised by a lawyer and/or capable accountant.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:34 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
You were getting ready to list it based on the assessed value. Get a professional to help you with the sale. I can't say financially you'll be better or worse with an agent but at least they can help protect your interests.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:14 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Yes. That is what the deed says. I apologize, I have never owned a home and this was just thrown on me. I am trying to research all I need to know about it. I appreciate you telling me this.

I would seriously look at getting a realtor so you don't give it away! Let them know you want to sell it fast an "AS IS". They will price it accordingly so you get a decent price and a quick sale. Look at realtors in the area the home is in that have lots of sales and good reviews.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
You really should talk to a local realtor, especially since this house has land also. You may be very surprised that it could be worth a lot more than you are thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate