Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 08:06 PM

774 posts, read 1,777,672 times

Advertisements

Why do some people periodically (once every couple of years) list their houses and remove the listing after a month?

Having strangers come to your house just to test the market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 08:47 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
my house is ALWAYS on the market. It's never been in MLS, but if someone wants to pay me ~ 110% of market value, it'll be theirs and soon.

some people see a house they'd move for, and put their house on the market hoping they can sell in time to buy the dream home. When the dream home goes under contract, they pull theirs off the market.

And then some humans are just plain mentally ill, and they do what you think they're doing.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:00 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Phishing

Old 01-06-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
some people see a house they'd move for, and put their house on the market hoping they can sell in time to buy the dream home.
I guess their acceptance of the buyer's offer would have to be conditioned on their own offer being accepted (Otherwise they might sell without actually buying anything) Do people do that?

Old 01-06-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Phishing
Not sure what you mean. I was talking about legit (MRL) listing history on zillow, redfin, etc.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:54 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
Not sure what you mean. I was talking about legit (MRL) listing history on zillow, redfin, etc.
Dude, in hot markets, as legitimate as any, some folks will always offer a nibble to see what that may stir up in a potential offer.

Those markets hold to their own dynamics, not constrained to otherwise “normal” market conditions.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:48 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
I guess their acceptance of the buyer's offer would have to be conditioned on their own offer being accepted (Otherwise they might sell without actually buying anything) Do people do that?
Yes, people do that. Particularly if the offer is fat.
When they can afford to live elsewhere temporarily before buying.

Actually, plenty of people move out of the house to sell it, on their own terms, at their own pace.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:34 AM

344 posts, read 244,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
my house is ALWAYS on the market. It's never been in MLS, but if someone wants to pay me ~ 110% of market value, it'll be theirs and soon.

some people see a house they'd move for, and put their house on the market hoping they can sell in time to buy the dream home. When the dream home goes under contract, they pull theirs off the market.

And then some humans are just plain mentally ill, and they do what you think they're doing.
I think this true for many people. For 110% of market value I don't think I'd consider moving. We love living where we are and our community. We are also not house poor - living above our means, which means we spend more ($) enjoying ourselves than just paying for our house (many people in our area are overextended). Now...if someone would offer me 150% of market value, I might consider it.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:37 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
I bought a great house once where the listing history for the previous couple of years was to list it in the early summer, then pull it off the MLS at the start of autumn. The people who owned it only wanted to move into another house during the summer months. They used the same agent for each listing period, so I imagine he was very happy when they sold it to me (in June of that year.)

Old 01-07-2018, 09:29 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
There are plenty of 'make me move" listings around.
ironically, house we now own, was MMM listed for 1.2m for 2 years. Our realtor sent the owner several letters of interest as we wanted it. No response.
Suddenly, owners placed it for sale for $940K and we made $870K offer on it same day. They agreed.
Go figure. House is currently, 2 yrs down the road, valued at 1.2m that we were willing to pay him 3 yrs ago.
Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate