Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 10:09 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
HOAs help maintain property value, in most cases.
and/or maintain common areas that add value and benefit to the community, like community parks and picnic areas, docks, tennis courts, etc.

Lots of other reasons for HOAs besides just being nosy about cars or garage doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 10:12 AM

40 posts, read 53,696 times
It is much better to live in an area with decent po!ice and zoning. I will never buy in an HOA, again. The extra closing costs are bad enough. Pool issues are worse. Selective enforcement, still worse.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:13 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
BTW... avoiding HOAs at all cost is a fairly extreme position also. Not all HOAs care about your paint colors or your garage doors.

I am president of our HOA, and all we do is maintain our half mile stretch of private road. No nosy design committees... just a private road that needs to be graded twice a year. We split costs and collect dues - $25 a month covers it.

I encourage everyone who wants to buy in an HOA neighbhorhood to read the bylaws. Find out, before deciding.
Bylaws and rules do nothing to protect you from the lunatic busybodies that manage to get into leadership positions in an HOA. HOAs are all eventually taken over by people that derive some sick pleasure out of making their neighbors lives into a living hell.

The people that care enough to get involved with an HOA are the exact kind of people that should not be allowed control over anything or anyone. HOA boards attract sociopaths, bullys and control freaks.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:30 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Bylaws and rules do nothing to protect you from the lunatic busybodies that manage to get into leadership positions in an HOA. HOAs are all eventually taken over by people that derive some sick pleasure out of making their neighbors lives into a living hell.

The people that care enough to get involved with an HOA are the exact kind of people that should not be allowed control over anything or anyone. HOA boards attract sociopaths, bullys and control freaks.

I personally have never had this problem in the 2 HOA's in which I've lived. I did, however, have problems in the last non HOA neighborhood I lived in. The owner occupied properties were fine, but too many others had become rentals. This led to too many cars, too much noise, and unkempt yards. Within 3 years after the homes were built, the neighborhood started disintegrating.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:34 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Turns out, whether you have an HOA or not... any trouble in the neighborhood is usually about ~people~.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:37 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post

LOL! We were blessed with good boards for so long, and now we are here, as you describe. They say why did the prior board hold on so desperately for so long? I have been saying the opposite for 2 years - what is your angle for wanting to take control so desperately? (The prior board held on to save us from YOU, is what I want to say........)

Though they are not making our lives hell at this time, they could! They are certainly eating up our money.........

Old 01-09-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I personally have never had this problem in the 2 HOA's in which I've lived. I did, however, have problems in the last non HOA neighborhood I lived in. The owner occupied properties were fine, but too many others had become rentals. This led to too many cars, too much noise, and unkempt yards. Within 3 years after the homes were built, the neighborhood started disintegrating.
Until now this was the only problem I ever had. The HOA didn't like renters. They harassed me. Without even giving me time to show I was a good renter, no need for concern! I felt bad for the owner who was disadvantaged over this.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:41 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
and/or maintain common areas that add value and benefit to the community, like community parks and picnic areas, docks, tennis courts, etc.

Lots of other reasons for HOAs besides just being nosy about cars or garage doors.
Homeowners' Association Bans Kids From Playing Outside, Parents Claim

https://danvillesanramon.com/news/20...t-play-outside

Old 01-09-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
BTW... avoiding HOAs at all cost is a fairly extreme position also. Not all HOAs care about your paint colors or your garage doors.

I am president of our HOA, and all we do is maintain our half mile stretch of private road. No nosy design committees... just a private road that needs to be graded twice a year. We split costs and collect dues - $25 a month covers it.

I encourage everyone who wants to buy in an HOA neighbhorhood to read the bylaws. Find out, before deciding.
Certainly true, and good advice, but as was said above, many places, inevitably, get a bad board and they can change the by-laws.

I was naive about this for a long time. I took forever to decide to buy here, and a primary concern was 'is the BOD sane or insane?' It can change..............

Old 01-09-2018, 10:44 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
If you don't like HOAs, then don't buy in an HOA neighborhood, plain and simple. My only problem is the high fees that some charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate