Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 10:45 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times

Advertisements

So is the point of the OP that the HOA doesn’t want their residents cooking meth in the gargage during the day or they just want everyone to get their ish stolen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 11:59 PM

638 posts, read 529,536 times
We just aren't classy enough for an HoA, lol!

Quote:
Too many crazy people out there who have too much time on their hands.
Kind of how I feel about life in general sometimes.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:39 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
HOAs help maintain property value, in most cases.
People give up freedom for money.
They lose both.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:50 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Bylaws and rules do nothing to protect you from the lunatic busybodies that manage to get into leadership positions in an HOA. HOAs are all eventually taken over by people that derive some sick pleasure out of making their neighbors lives into a living hell.

The people that care enough to get involved with an HOA are the exact kind of people that should not be allowed control over anything or anyone. HOA boards attract sociopaths, bullys and control freaks.
What about reasonable people who were tired of the stuff you are talking about? Let's not put everyone in the same bucket.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:15 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
What about reasonable people who were tired of the stuff you are talking about? Let's not put everyone in the same bucket.

Don't you know they don't exist? They're like Big Foot and Unicorns.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:05 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The city doesn't offer the same services for HOA's as they do regular communities. When my HOA was having fresh water pipe issues and the streets needed to be repaved, the city would not and did not pay a single dime for the repairs. The entire cost was borne by the HOA members through our reserves. The city didn't lift a finger to help our HOA despite several appeals.
This is any HOA behind private walls. They make an agreement with major land owner/developer that they will pay for all up keep. Its really cheaper overall.

An employee lives in one with low dues and they do nothing, the city still takes care of the streets etc. They have no gate etc. Don't even understand their need for an HOA? I'll have to ask.

I'm not of the opinion I'm giving up anything to live in a strict HOA. There are no rules I find objectionable. I can't paint my house pink or purple. There are literally dozens of colors I can use.
I'm guaranteed safe when I come home at midnight. In Vegas, outside a guard gated community, no one can say that.

Its always the people who don't have any real world experience who believe the bad rumors. Not all HOA'S are the same. Our last one I didn't like most of the snobby neighbors. We have another one here we wouldn't move into as anytime I went to a function there, about everyone way over drank.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:20 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The city doesn't offer the same services for HOA's as they do regular communities. When my HOA was having fresh water pipe issues and the streets needed to be repaved, the city would not and did not pay a single dime for the repairs. The entire cost was borne by the HOA members through our reserves. The city didn't lift a finger to help our HOA despite several appeals.
And this is exactly why some States REQUIRE HOAs. It's not the owners of the properties who setup HOAs, it's the developers. And they don't do it because they want to, but because it's required by the State. That way the State can avoid costs they are on the hook for in non-HOA neighborhoods like sewer/water repairs, repaving, trash pickup (if the neighborhood is gated), upkeep of right of ways, etc. What a racket given that the homeowners pay the exact same tax rate as owners in non-HOA neighborhoods and receive lesser services.

If you have a beef about the existence of HOAs, don't address them to the HOA Board. Register your complaint with your State. They're the ones responsible for the existence and proliferation of HOAs.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:24 AM

884 posts, read 1,172,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And yet I find that I am having more and more clients tell me that one of their requirements for a home is "anywhere BUT with an HOA!" because of nonsense like this.

That pendulum may be swinging the other way based on what I've seen.
This post made me laugh because I'm about to start looking for a house to buy, in Texas, and I plan on telling my realtor "no HOAs!"

I've never lived in an HOA and never had neighbors with cars up on blocks or furniture outside or anything trashy at all and I certainly don't live in a fancy neighborhood. In my experience you're more likely to see that stuff in rural areas, but people who move out there are so live and let live and busy tending their land/whatever I doubt they care.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:59 AM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnemj View Post
Our second to last move we liked two homes in Northern Mississippi, one in an “open” development and one controlled by a HOA. We ended up buying in the HOA plan. The other house we didn’t buy was where there was no HOA. A neighbor in the house we didn’t choose parked 8 carnival food trucks in his backyard. We were relieved we didn’t buy that house. Who wants to see large trailers with cotton candy, sausage, or hot peanuts every time you went into your back yard? Our HOA was well run with appropriate restrictions.

I think the neighborhoods with HOA, with few exceptions, are run in a responsible manner.
To each their own.
I'd rather live with the next door carnival trucks than in a place that had a HOA.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:14 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
The HOA found out someone had been letting someone else live in his garage.

If my friend fell on hard times, I, as an American, ought to be able to let him sleep on my couch or live in my garage until he could stand on his own two feet again. Crazy HOAs is as un-American as it gets.

Who wants to bet the aforementioned HOA is ruled by a powercrazed busybody?
You think living in a garage is acceptable? In my city it wouldn't take the HOA to deal with that. It is not allowed by ordinance. For a reason. Why not let him stay in the actual house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate