U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:34 AM

29,044 posts, read 51,445,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
...Seriously?

Am I getting close.
No.
None of your rants on this topic make a shred of sense. Supporting the unethical, dishonest behaviors of an ad portal because you cannot afford a home and you blame the world for that is sad.

Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:43 AM

4,537 posts, read 1,740,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No.
None of your rants on this topic make a shred of sense. Supporting the unethical, dishonest behaviors of an ad portal because you cannot afford a home and you blame the world for that is sad.

Seriously.
Then you should not care what some online data base says your home is worth.

Old Yesterday, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Then you should not care what some online data base says your home is worth.
I shouldn't care about Z because you cannot afford a home?

I don't get your point.

Old Yesterday, 05:16 AM

4,537 posts, read 1,740,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I shouldn't care about Z because you cannot afford a home?

I don't get your point.
someone was butt hurt that they did not post a favorable number. If someone has a run of the mill truck and list it for 100k and I balk and they say well I guess you just cant afford a car is nonsense and an obfuscation.

Just because you think your house should be worth X does not mean someone is willing to pay it.

Your mad because the zestimate is putting the seed in peoples heads that hey maybe your not so spectacular run of the mill single family home is not worth big bucks. Your relying on enough people believing that your house is worth that much so that when it comes time to sell someone will put in an offer for that much. Of course you can always just not sell it, there is no law saying you have to sell your house ... ever. So again I ask why do you care?

But if sites like zillow etal keep saying your home is worth 100k less than you think it is, maybe that becomes the new norm. Now suddenly I can afford a house, funny how that works. This whole real estate "market" is based on perception, if your house is really that spectacular and in a highly coveted area then there will be a bid war and a group of idiots can over pay for your patch of dirt and some 2x4s and plywood.

Have fun with your meritless law suit. Of course this is the USA so maybe you will win.

Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM

8,443 posts, read 16,559,293 times
Ehh, I'm more interested in the lawsuit against Realtor.com (which is not owned by Realtors or NAR in case you didn't know - it owned by Rupert Murdoch and move.com). In my personal experience the claims are true and if proven I hope R.com gets crushed.

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Ehh, I'm more interested in the lawsuit against Realtor.com (which is not owned by Realtors or NAR in case you didn't know - it owned by Rupert Murdoch and move.com). In my personal experience the claims are true and if proven I hope R.com gets crushed.
That one is small potatoes.
And, REALTORS® should by now be well aware of what they are dealing with in Move.
If they don't they need to move to a firm with more remedial instruction.

Connecting Z to abuse of consumers would be a much nicer fish fry than worrying about Move plunking REALTORS® who should already know better.

Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM

6,081 posts, read 8,247,802 times
Quote:
Does stating what I think your house is worth to me fall into the realm of slander (libel)?
I never said it qualified as slander or libel. I was merely giving an exaggerated example of another wrong doing and trying to excuse it by saying it was only for entertainment purposes. Thanks for trying to steer the conversation away from the issue at hand though.

Quote:
Yes, Zillow very much does influence peoples perceptions, otherwise they would not have created the data base in the first place.
Those that don't know and don't understand what Zillow is (in my experience) are absolutely influenced by Zillow. Educating my clients is part of my job and this is often a topic I need to address.

Quote:
However, does said influence TYPICALLY benefit the would be seller or the buyer?
Who cares? That's not the point at all. The mere fact that it's wildly inaccurate is all I need to know to say that it's irresponsible and should be removed from their site. I'm not interested in putting my tinfoil hat on and trying to figure out the nature of the conspiracy. It's not germane to the conversation at hand.

Quote:
Its no secret that single family home prices across the USA are hugely over inflated in price (based on median income vs home prices falling way outside the 2.5 times rule of thumb) so I cant feel bad if a zestimate is showing a value lower than what a home owner thinks it should be, especially since so many home owners are banking on their house being their retirement plan.
Again, not relevant to the conversation. Your lack of empathy and the current level of affordability has nothing to do with whether or not it's responsible for Zillow to float inaccurate information in the guise of an appraisal.

Quote:
If it was showing them higher I doubt there would be a law suit by an owner. Unless they were upset because their tax valuation was being based on Zillow which is doubtful.
If it's wrong someone is going to get upset. Buyers get angry too when they think their house (which they just purchased) is being appraised for less than they paid. Again, who is being harmed is not really relevant. The fact that someone is being harmed is enough to say that Zillow should take it down. Your lack of empathy for sellers is not a factor in this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Zillow for Real Estate = True Car for Auto Industy. Both shams that portray themselves as something they are not.
I've always felt True Car is a sham. Where are they getting these sales numbers from? It's not like they're public record like a home sale (at least in some states real estate sale price is). I figured they had to be in bed with the car dealers.

Quote:
Seriously?
I'm beginning to wonder if you are serious.

Quote:
The bottom line is buyers are tired of ratched up price tags by boomers attempting to retire, the only thing any buyer is going to be happy about is a LOW price not a boomer trying to retire off their "equity" price.

If the prices were shown as too high buyers would just leave (or get into a sitaution where they buy a house they cant afford, get laid off 5 years later and get forclosed on). However is prices are shown as too low, the entrenched owners will loose their minds, after all thats their retirement.

No one is going to sue over prices that are to high. And no buyer is going to be swayed by a high zillow price, physiologically only low ball prices will settle into the minds of buyers not inflated ones, they will just move on.

Scenario 1 - Buyer - Oh look another a hole boomer trying to retire off their house sale, no thanks pass. No law suit.
Scenario 2 - buyer - holy cow look we can actually participate in ownership of the nation I have a passport for. Seller - this is an outrage how dare they list my house as not being enough for me to cash out and retire in mexico on. I didnt give permission to put these low numbers in buyers heads so that they think they can buy in without having to live on the edge for 30 years. Buyers might actually start holding out for good deals because they dont want to have a house payment that is an albatross hanging around their necks for the rest of there lives while I relax on the beach because I only paid 10% of that price back in the 70's.
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. This is not remotely "the bottom line." What does this have to do with anything in the article? Your anger about current real estate values has no bearing on whether Zillow's information is accurate or not and whether sharing this information is a responsible action.

Quote:
Am I getting close.
I don't even think you're on the right planet.

Quote:
someone was butt hurt that they did not post a favorable number. If someone has a run of the mill truck and list it for 100k and I balk and they say well I guess you just cant afford a car is nonsense and an obfuscation.
It absolutely is nonsense. Unfortunately, we're having a conversation about the relation of the ridiculously inaccurate Zillow appraisal in comparison to the home's market value. If your analogy was about someone thinking about buying a truck worth $20K and True Car had $100K listed as a great sale price for the truck then we're talking the same language.

Quote:
Just because you think your house should be worth X does not mean someone is willing to pay it.
Just because you as one person think it should be worth less does not make you correct either. As a single person, sellers are wrong about market value and buyers are wrong about market value all the time. As I said earlier, market value is about the "common man" test and it sounds like you may be a statistical outlier.

Quote:
Your mad because the zestimate is putting the seed in peoples heads that hey maybe your not so spectacular run of the mill single family home is not worth big bucks. Your relying on enough people believing that your house is worth that much so that when it comes time to sell someone will put in an offer for that much. Of course you can always just not sell it, there is no law saying you have to sell your house ... ever. So again I ask why do you care?
Again, it's not about who is harmed. The fact that someone is harmed is enough for me. You're clearly obsessed about affordability which is an entirely different conversation.

Quote:
But if sites like zillow etal keep saying your home is worth 100k less than you think it is, maybe that becomes the new norm. Now suddenly I can afford a house, funny how that works. This whole real estate "market" is based on perception, if your house is really that spectacular and in a highly coveted area then there will be a bid war and a group of idiots can over pay for your patch of dirt and some 2x4s and plywood.
So . . . your whole point is you want Zillow to inaccurately report their Zestimate on the low side (they come out too high plenty of the time as well BTW) in order to affect the market negatively so that you can afford a house?

I think I'll let Mike J handle it from here. He enjoys trying to reason with unreasonable people much more than I do.

Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM

8,443 posts, read 16,559,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

I think I'll let Mike J handle it from here. He enjoys trying to reason with unreasonable people much more than I do.
Mike J is patient and persistent. I think I'm actually a happier person just_because I stopped reading troll posts.

Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
...I think I'll let Mike J handle it from here. He enjoys trying to reason with unreasonable people much more than I do.
Quote:
Mike J is patient and persistent. I think I'm actually a happier person just_because I stopped reading troll posts.
Hey.
Mike J has limits, too.

"A host of friends. I have a host of friends."

Who said that, and in what John Wayne movie?

Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,777,517 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate