U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 07:58 PM

29,032 posts, read 51,429,738 times

Advertisements

Gee, I asked Zillow to delete my home Zestimate and they said that the algorithm did not allow that.
But, apparently, they can.
Did Z fib to me?

https://therealdaily.com/corporate/z...m_campaign=trd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 09:10 PM

4,511 posts, read 1,733,421 times
Why did you want it taken off?

Old 01-15-2018, 10:25 PM

6,077 posts, read 8,243,829 times
I remember when I first became an agent I signed up to advertise on Zillow. My sales rep at one point said to me . . . don't worry if you get any negative reviews we'll just delete them for you. Luckily, I've never had to take him up on his offer, but I also discontinued my service 6 months later so I'm not sure he would do it for me now anyway.

I don't really have a major issue with Zillow. I think NAR is a gaggle of morons for sitting back and watching it become the #1 real estate website but that's another story. My biggest complaint is that Zillow is not transparent about what they really are: a website to market sales leads to real estate agents. They don't care about data accuracy, listing accuracy, the Zestimate being within a million dollars of the real value or anything else. They just want consumer's information to sell to real estate agents and that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Maybe because it's wildly inaccurate but yet many in the public seem to think it's some kind of appraisal . . . just hazarding a guess here.

Old Yesterday, 12:53 AM

4,511 posts, read 1,733,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I remember when I first became an agent I signed up to advertise on Zillow. My sales rep at one point said to me . . . don't worry if you get any negative reviews we'll just delete them for you. Luckily, I've never had to take him up on his offer, but I also discontinued my service 6 months later so I'm not sure he would do it for me now anyway.

I don't really have a major issue with Zillow. I think NAR is a gaggle of morons for sitting back and watching it become the #1 real estate website but that's another story. My biggest complaint is that Zillow is not transparent about what they really are: a website to market sales leads to real estate agents. They don't care about data accuracy, listing accuracy, the Zestimate being within a million dollars of the real value or anything else. They just want consumer's information to sell to real estate agents and that's about it.

Maybe because it's wildly inaccurate but yet many in the public seem to think it's some kind of appraisal . . . just hazarding a guess here.
Considering "market value" is subjective I am not sure what the basis of the law suit would even be. It sounds like someone is butt hurt that they did not see a fatty value when they went on to the web site ... so?

The property is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Old Yesterday, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Because I did not give them permission to publish an opinion of value on my home.

Because I think "Opinion of Value" is the realm of formal appraisal. Pop appraisals via commercialized AVMs are unregulated, without any accountability or responsibility.

Quote:
Considering "market value" is subjective I am not sure what the basis of the law suit would even be. It sounds like someone is butt hurt that they did not see a fatty value when they went on to the web site ... so?

Pop appraisals via commercialized AVMs DO influence what some parties are willing to pay, or what some parties expect to receive for the property.
Meddling with valuation perception with unsolicited pop appraisals is irresponsible and harmful to consumers.

Did you read the story?
Zillow is being sued for favoring some firms by withholding Zestappraisals, but refusing to withhold them for other firms.
After telling me that their algorithm did not allow them to pick and choose, they proceeded to pick and choose.
Liars.
I support the plaintiffs.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; Yesterday at 03:33 AM..

Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM

2,817 posts, read 2,324,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Because I did not give them permission to publish an opinion of value on my home.

Because I think "Opinion of Value" is the realm of formal appraisal. Pop appraisals via commercialized AVMs are unregulated, without any accountability or responsibility.

Pop appraisals via commercialized AVMs DO influence what some parties are willing to pay, or what some parties expect to receive for the property.
Meddling with valuation perception with unsolicited pop appraisals is irresponsible and harmful to consumers.

Did you read the story?
Zillow is being sued for favoring some firms by withholding Zestappraisals, but refusing to withhold them for other firms.
After telling me that their algorithm did not allow them to pick and choose, they proceeded to pick and choose.
Liars.
I support the plaintiffs.
Surbiton, Let Mike go and we won't press charges.

Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post

I miss ol' Surbiton.

Smart guy.

Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
2,672 posts, read 1,183,487 times
Quote:

Bwahahahaha!!

If I wasn't a daily reader of this section, I wouldn't get this.

I do read and this was fuuuuuuuuny!

Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM

6,077 posts, read 8,243,829 times
Quote:

It is absolutely subjective. I'm not sure why you quoted me because I never said it wasn't.

Market value falls into the realm of a "common man" test. If you lined up 100 average Joes and asked them what they think a particular house is worth, you may get 80 different answers. However, the vast majority will fall within a fairly narrow range.

This being said, is it responsible for a company to put a value label on each and every property in the country that has a fairly limited chance of actually falling within that range? If you sell some property, I would encourage you to follow the Zestimate before, during, and after your sale. I think you'll find it quite interesting. Larger question from the article though is: is it fair to put the Zestimate front and center on some listings and hide it in the small print in others?

BTW, my favorite thing about the Zestimate is that Zillow puts a disclaimer on it saying that it's for entertainment purposes only. Maybe I'll start going around slandering people and when someone sues me I'll just say it was for entertainment purposes only.

Quote:

Hilarious!

Last edited by MikePRU; Yesterday at 09:17 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

179 posts, read 239,459 times
my only issue with Zillow was when I seen my house for sale on there and it wasn't really up for sale at that time. I had a friend call the number and it was a scam where the lady told them that she is relocating out of state but needed a deposit to hold the house.

I had to contact Zillow three times before they finally removed the house and it was only after I threatened them with a lawsuit. I actually had people looking into my house through the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate