U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2018, 09:42 AM
 
25,833 posts, read 49,727,953 times
Reputation: 19286

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Which works on items that are NOT appraisal issues. If defects will get flagged on appraisal, like the roofing and electrical might do... they must be fixed by the seller, or the house won't finance. A house that won't finance is much harder to sell at retail price.
Several times I have used the work around for Schedule 1 Structural Pest Report Items and once for a roof... I did not want a cheap roof and the seller was not going to pay for anything but the bare minimum FHA roof...

I placed twice the repair costs in Escrow, had the work completed within 90 days, with permits as needed, filed a Notice of Completion and paid for a re inspection...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2018, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
3,832 posts, read 2,056,232 times
Reputation: 10577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Several times I have used the work around for Schedule 1 Structural Pest Report Items and once for a roof... I did not want a cheap roof and the seller was not going to pay for anything but the bare minimum FHA roof...

I placed twice the repair costs in Escrow, had the work completed within 90 days, with permits as needed, filed a Notice of Completion and paid for a re inspection...
Good info. That's a good option for those who DO have the cash... apparently twice the cash... to make that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2018, 09:46 AM
 
25,833 posts, read 49,727,953 times
Reputation: 19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
J_B... Enough. Every single thing we buy from another person is paying a few to many people's salaries who helped make it happen. That's how the economy works.

That is not just true with Real Estate Commissions. The house has a value that includes the sweat and effort of the guys who cut the trees and planed the lumber, and drew the plans and put it all together and painted it and.... The chain of involved persons goes on and on. Some will feel our commissions are well earned... some won't. They'd probably be right! The same can be said for those who pay $9.99 for a Hamburger. Or a couch, or a car. Value is subjective, and sometimes... highly variable. Some are better values than others, and not everyone will value the same thing.

How much of YOUR life energy are you spending just talking complaining about the Real Estate industry? Is that going to feel worth it in the end? For your sake, I hope so.
When I buy a car... the only thing I care about is the out the door price...

When I buy a home... it is the same... how it gets divided is of no interest to me.

The only reason For Sale by Owners represent themselves is to increase their net... totally understandable but it is foolish to think the For Sale by Owner is going to "Pass Along" the savings to the Buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2018, 09:50 AM
 
25,833 posts, read 49,727,953 times
Reputation: 19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Good info. That's a good option for those who DO have the cash... apparently twice the cash... to make that happen.
It use to be 1.5 times... the last time it was 2 times... nobody really likes this option and forget about anyone volunteering...

In my case it let me use premium materials that no seller would ever use simply to sell...

I like good roofs... do it once and be done... this means removing all of the old roofing... sometimes putting down new sheathing... double coverage 30# felt, heavy gauge flashing and Lifetime or 50 year shingles or standing seam metal roof...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 04:54 AM
 
1,528 posts, read 726,575 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
When I buy a car... the only thing I care about is the out the door price...

When I buy a home... it is the same... how it gets divided is of no interest to me.

The only reason For Sale by Owners represent themselves is to increase their net... totally understandable but it is foolish to think the For Sale by Owner is going to "Pass Along" the savings to the Buyer.
It's a common refrain here that the system is designed so that the services purportedly provided to the buyer via the buyer's agent are paid by the seller for the reason that they can be mortgaged. I.e. if buyers paid directly for the services rendered to them, they would need to pay with cash, like they do for an attorney, inspector, etc. Having the seller pay for it allows it to be rolled into the overall price and mortgaged. This is not my idea. Just repeating what i've read here. And it shouldn't be controversial and anyone who disagrees should offer a good alternative reason why services to the buyer would be paid by the seller as this is not intuitive by any measure. Nobody can agree who pays for buyer's agent commission so let's not debate that but you can't have your cake and eat it...if you talk about mortgaging commission, you need to address the financing costs.

So, it's absolutely relevant to raise the reminder that things that are financed have finance (interest) costs. I don't see why this is so controversial. If you add 20k to your mortgage that's attributable to commission is going to cost you roughly 36k. That's just the fact.

As for headline pricing only, many people do care about transparency in pricing. And there are many examples of regulators outlawing 'bundling' and pricing that's not transparent - cell phones and financial services are good examples. So I believe the tide is in favor of transparency, not "just the headlines". And I do care if my car pricing includes unwanted things like undercoating treatment. Or if my TV price includes costs for unwanted extras like a service plan, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 09:23 AM
 
2,136 posts, read 3,418,603 times
Reputation: 1281
Worse part of all this is the waiting. They have until 6 tonight with a response but we've been anxious since the inspection.

As far is whether the house is priced accordingly, it's not. It's 20K over what the last house sold for (October) and this one is a bit smaller by about 300 square feet. It will be interesting what it appraises for. You factor in some of the work that may need to be done, maybe there's even more wiggle room, who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
3,832 posts, read 2,056,232 times
Reputation: 10577
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Worse part of all this is the waiting.
Always!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 04:02 PM
 
2,136 posts, read 3,418,603 times
Reputation: 1281
Update: seller agreed to the repairs, will pitch in $1500 for water heater. Color us shocked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
3,832 posts, read 2,056,232 times
Reputation: 10577
Excellent! Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 07:28 PM
 
25,833 posts, read 49,727,953 times
Reputation: 19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
It's a common refrain here that the system is designed so that the services purportedly provided to the buyer via the buyer's agent are paid by the seller for the reason that they can be mortgaged. I.e. if buyers paid directly for the services rendered to them, they would need to pay with cash, like they do for an attorney, inspector, etc. Having the seller pay for it allows it to be rolled into the overall price and mortgaged. This is not my idea. Just repeating what i've read here. And it shouldn't be controversial and anyone who disagrees should offer a good alternative reason why services to the buyer would be paid by the seller as this is not intuitive by any measure. Nobody can agree who pays for buyer's agent commission so let's not debate that but you can't have your cake and eat it...if you talk about mortgaging commission, you need to address the financing costs.

So, it's absolutely relevant to raise the reminder that things that are financed have finance (interest) costs. I don't see why this is so controversial. If you add 20k to your mortgage that's attributable to commission is going to cost you roughly 36k. That's just the fact.

As for headline pricing only, many people do care about transparency in pricing. And there are many examples of regulators outlawing 'bundling' and pricing that's not transparent - cell phones and financial services are good examples. So I believe the tide is in favor of transparency, not "just the headlines". And I do care if my car pricing includes unwanted things like undercoating treatment. Or if my TV price includes costs for unwanted extras like a service plan, etc.
How would a consumer even know what the seller is paying for a commission or how it is split?

If I am selling my home as I did... the offer that provides me the highest net is the one I am going with...

As for the cost of financing commission or rolling it into the mortgage... over 40% of the sales in my area are cash sales... so nothing be rolled into a mortgage since no mortgage exists.

Brokers are part of business and not limited to Real Estate... Insurance, Real Estate, Investment are common but there are brokers in just about all segments... especially in farming where half my family tree is grounded...

Again... when it is all said and done... look at the net that remains.

I believe those against would have a stronger position if a home owner was required to use a broker... no such requirement here and I have been on both sides...

Some of the best transactions only came to me because the Broker called me and said I have a property I think you will like...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top