Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 06:15 AM

30 posts, read 38,194 times

Advertisements

Hi Mike,

I emptied the house and barn, wrote a completely new description, and had new photographs taken by an excellent professional photographer. I just relisted it by owner - broker protected as was suggested here. First Open House yesterday. Zillow. Take a look:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...r/?view=public

(Also, I know you are an agent. Do you cover West Newton?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 06:50 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times
Wow big difference in the barn. That looks much better. I know there are different views about the desirability of a home with a pool but I wonder why you included no photos of it. It's a nice looking pool and you had some good photos of it when it was uncovered. People might wrongly assume it's a disaster area as it's mentioned in the description but has no photos.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:12 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
IMHO, the pictures are very nice, and emptying the house seems to make it show better too! Nice job/good luck!

Old 03-19-2018, 11:33 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Looks lovely. Don't have the money and don't want to live there, but I am sure someone does.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:46 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Man - wish I could import that house to Texas! While there are some interior decor choices that aren't my style, a buyer in this range (for this type of property) can probably see what $20K would do - I'd expect to see something around that number as a closing cost concession or price reduction in your initial offers.

Good job on the listing for sure. The description is a bit wordy for my taste, but I usually like just the nuts/bolts. Pics look great, but I do agree with the previous rec to include shots of the pool/area if it looks good. Also, Have you looked into power washing the exterior? (not sure if that was brought up previously).

ETA:
It'll green up quick out there, replace the photos as the lawn and trees green out to make it look more "now" - also, you may want to put a floorplan in the photos. The layout is hard to compute from the photos and I think that's a major selling point to the property.

In a couple of months if you're still not getting traction, I'd look into stripping that wallpaper and the carpet in the bathroom

Last edited by RoamingTX; 03-19-2018 at 12:23 PM..

Old 03-19-2018, 12:40 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Those pictures look great!!

Some good suggestions from RoamingTX, and I also agree about including at least one photo of the pool.

Fingers crossed for you that your buyer comes along soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
ETA:
It'll green up quick out there, replace the photos as the lawn and trees green out to make it look more "now" - also, you may want to put a floorplan in the photos. The layout is hard to compute from the photos and I think that's a major selling point to the property.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:00 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2houses.oh.no View Post
Hi Mike,

I emptied the house and barn, wrote a completely new description, and had new photographs taken by an excellent professional photographer. I just relisted it by owner - broker protected as was suggested here. First Open House yesterday. Zillow. Take a look:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...r/?view=public
Huge improvement for sure. Significantly better photos and they're arranged in a much more sensical manner.

Are you sure you don't want to list with an agent though? There are still tons of people who don't look at Zillow (like Surbitron ) who won't see your property. An agent will get you more exposure than just Zillow will. Plus, there's still a ton of negotiating and bumps in the road ahead that will need to be navigated. Not everyone is comfortable handling such things and if you're not you should reconsider hiring someone. If you are, then I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that you'll have a successful sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2houses.oh.no View Post
(Also, I know you are an agent. Do you cover West Newton?)
I do. I actually lived in Newton for almost 10 years before I moved to Needham. Do you have questions about West Newton?

Old 03-19-2018, 03:38 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
the pictures look better. A lot better. The description is ok, but a little repetitive (built in 1825, almost 200 years old...antique - they're ALL the same)
perhaps a New Englander can figure out the layout, but I sure can't. and along those lines my personal opinion is the flow doesn't make sense from the photos.
too many pics of the open dinding space with the fireplace.
what's the photo with the black-shelved structure? like a platform bed?
is carpet in bathrooms a thing up there.
remove valances, especially the monogrammed one, unless you think your magic buyer will have the same initials
one BR's carpet looks dirty from the pic
unless it's of value somehow, remove the wallpaper

Old 03-19-2018, 03:41 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
that's not intended to be nitpicky, just to point out what I saw. The presentation is WORLDS better.

oops, I did leave one out - is the ivy growing up the wood a thing? I know structurally it's a big nono.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:20 PM

30 posts, read 38,194 times
Default Oil heat or natural gas?

Thanks for the tips on pool, wallpaper, carpet, and floor plan!

I have a question about the furnace - maybe you can give me your opinion?

It's steam heat by oil and the furnace is old. We were going to replace it ($6k) but then had some feedback that a natural gas system may be preferable. There is gas on the street. Last week the furnace had somewhat of a melt down. Technician has it working but, should we put the new furnace in now, (it would look a lot better), or wait and let the buyer choose? Do people prefer natural gas in New England? We would have to remove the oil tank if we switched to gas. There is also a propane tank on the property for the range and dryer. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate