U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 10:20 AM

30 posts, read 27,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I agree. This house is not an easy sale and houses like this often see better results when a quality professional is hired to assist.

I wish the OP the best of luck but they keep stacking the odds against themselves.
I gave it to a highly rated RE agent w 20+ years experience - gave her complete control of price, marketing, and sales for almost a year. She decided everything - and we did whatever she asked. I'm done with that now. I have decided to sell it myself. I have an excellent re atty who will handle the details once we have a buyer. Brokers are protected, as suggested here. I'm happy to pay a commission. But not to list it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 10:33 AM

Default Newton

Quote:
Huge improvement for sure. Significantly better photos and they're arranged in a much more sensical manner.

I do. I actually lived in Newton for almost 10 years before I moved to Needham. Do you have questions about West Newton?
The reason I was asking is that I'm helping a client empty her house in W Newton to put on the market. I don't know if she has a re agent yet, but since that's your area I could suggest you, or you might have a buyer looking for that type of house. It's been meticulously renovated and maintained. She's in Europe this month, back mid-April.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 03-28-2018, 06:55 PM

4,480 posts, read 7,935,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2houses.oh.no View Post
I have decided to sell it myself. I have an excellent re atty who will handle the details once we have a buyer. Brokers are protected, as suggested here. I'm happy to pay a commission. But not to list it.
Well........ not sure thats the best move. Your not considering the "realtor mafia" especially in mass. Your house will be essentially blacklisted by realtors. Anyone interested they will try to talk the buyer out of it. They will tell their clients, "OOOhhhh no, not that house, so many issues" They will steer clients towards houses with contracts to sell with established MLS commission rates.

Not listing it with a realtor is means, not selling it. Ever.

Its unfortunate that is how the world works, but its reality.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:51 PM

6,324 posts, read 9,023,459 times
Quote:
I gave it to a highly rated RE agent w 20+ years experience - gave her complete control of price, marketing, and sales for almost a year. She decided everything - and we did whatever she asked. I'm done with that now. I have decided to sell it myself. I have an excellent re atty who will handle the details once we have a buyer. Brokers are protected, as suggested here. I'm happy to pay a commission. But not to list it.
I think you may have been misled. The agent who listed your house only has 7 years of history in MLS. Unless she was an agent in another state for 13 years prior to that it seems she doesn't have 20 years of experience. Plus, her MLS ID number begins with "CT." Up until maybe 8 years ago, MLSPIN only issued ID numbers that began with "BB." So, it's easy to spot the agents who've been in the business less than 10 years because their MLS ID numbers don't start with "BB."

I honestly don't know your former agent from Adam and I'm not picking on her but based on what I saw in your listing I would say there's much room for improvement when it came to what she was doing for marketing your house. Some agents are awesome at marketing themselves which makes them very successful. However, when it comes to producing results with a house that's a bit tricky like yours they often fail because they're not as good at marketing homes.

I certainly understand given the experience you've had that you would want to give it a go yourself. You really should seek to market the property more broadly than just putting it on Zillow. There are a lot of people out there who don't know your house is for sale because it's only on one website.

Quote:
The reason I was asking is that I'm helping a client empty her house in W Newton to put on the market. I don't know if she has a re agent yet, but since that's your area I could suggest you, or you might have a buyer looking for that type of house. It's been meticulously renovated and maintained. She's in Europe this month, back mid-April.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
I'd be happy to talk with your client. Thanks for thinking of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Well........ not sure thats the best move. Your not considering the "realtor mafia" especially in mass. Your house will be essentially blacklisted by realtors. Anyone interested they will try to talk the buyer out of it. They will tell their clients, "OOOhhhh no, not that house, so many issues" They will steer clients towards houses with contracts to sell with established MLS commission rates.

Personally, I think the larger issue is that it's listed on Zillow and only Zillow. Most agents I know don't regularly check Zillow for listings. So unless the client finds it, then no sale.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:09 PM

7,745 posts, read 6,110,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post

bull ****, when a seller acknowledges that they understand a Buyer's Agent will receive their compensation - and especially when the house has been listed on their own MLS before.

Now, having raised the price for no readily understandable reason might very well be a different matter.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:34 AM

Default Agents

Three agents have already brought their clients through. One is coming back for the third time tomorrow. And two other people brought contractors through this week. I don't want to be overly optimistic but there is some interest in it.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:50 AM

18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times
Quote:
Personally, I think the larger issue is that it's listed on Zillow and only Zillow. Most agents I know don't regularly check Zillow for listings. So unless the client finds it, then no sale.
Agreed, although these days, I have to think it's a fairly rare buyer who isn't checking out these things on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
bull ****, when a seller acknowledges that they understand a Buyer's Agent will receive their compensation - and especially when the house has been listed on their own MLS before.

Now, having raised the price for no readily understandable reason might very well be a different matter.
I almost posted the same thing but figured I'd leave it to one of the professionals! But yes, I assume that as long as the listing specifies the seller will pay a buyer's agent, there's no reason for that agent to not work with the owner. A sale is a sale and it's in the agent's best interests to get their client into a house they like.

Quote:
Three agents have already brought their clients through. One is coming back for the third time tomorrow. And two other people brought contractors through this week. I don't want to be overly optimistic but there is some interest in it.
Good luck!!

Old 03-31-2018, 08:21 PM

6,324 posts, read 9,023,459 times
Quote:
I hope you sell it!

You've been through a lot on this one and I feel for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Agreed, although these days, I have to think it's a fairly rare buyer who isn't checking out these things on their own.
Absolutely. The buyers are out there looking, but my point is still valid that they're not all looking on Zillow.

I tell my clients this all the time . . . inevitably there is one person out there who will pay more for your house than anyone else. In order to find that person, you need maximum exposure. You need to turn over every rock looking for them. Otherwise, you will not maximize your sale price.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:27 AM

31,591 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
I hope you sell it!

You've been through a lot on this one and I feel for you.

Absolutely. The buyers are out there looking, but my point is still valid that they're not all looking on Zillow.

I tell my clients this all the time . . . inevitably there is one person out there who will pay more for your house than anyone else. In order to find that person, you need maximum exposure. You need to turn over every rock looking for them. Otherwise, you will not maximize your sale price.
I wish the OP all possible success in getting the property sold at an agreeable price and terms.
The presentation IS improved, and may help.

Z.

I often see folks "find" something on Z that my MLS search sent them the day before, but that they didn't open.
Hopefully this year, I get text notifications set up. The opening rate is higher.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:41 AM

3,749 posts, read 2,903,476 times
Price was dropped $46,000. Yoyo pricing, up....then down.....then up.....then down.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or