U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 06:19 PM

4,480 posts, read 7,935,315 times

Advertisements

Personally.....
I'd put it back on the market and drop the price $10k per week until it sells. There is a point where a buyer will say, I gotta have it and that will be the price its worth. Looks like you bought it for 1,150,000 in 2007, so you have plenty of wiggle room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 06:23 PM

124 posts, read 186,511 times
The price probably has something to do with it. Good lord.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:51 PM

30 posts, read 27,529 times
Default Staging

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMoves View Post
Have your agent bring a stager in, who can help alleviate some of the flow concerns, and make some of the shots more interesting. They can't move walls (unless you want to), but they can definitely suggest ways to use & connect spaces that you & your agent may never have thought of, and that buyers have a hard time envisioning..
How does staging work? How much does it cost? Would we rent or buy furniture/accessories? Someone suggested that the RE agent sometimes pays for it. Is that common? Thanks!

Old 01-25-2018, 07:13 PM

7,754 posts, read 6,110,007 times
your agent should have one or more qualified stagers they use.
for what you probably need, you're looking at $1-2K/mo.
They have the furniture, so your fee above includes the furniture/accessories
there are several ways to pay for staging. your agent may pay some, all, or none

Old 01-25-2018, 07:29 PM

30 posts, read 27,529 times
Default Staging, accessory dwelling unit option

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

It's an antique house that's been added on to a few times over its life. This isn't unusual around here. However, antiques (depending on the town and the house) don't have as broad appeal to buyers as newer houses do.
There's no question that the new 4 bedroom colonial w/extra family room, finished basement media/play room/gym, and two car garage at $950,000. is going to win the buyer almost always.

When we bought this place, which was perfect for us, I thought it was a good investment given the town and I felt that homes with accessory dwelling units/flexible living options would be in demand as the cost of housing and education continues to escalate, parents wanting independence living longer staying healthy traveling, etc.

I feel like that didn't come across in the marketing of the property. When you make it all into a 6-bedroom single house I think it falls apart and becomes a disjointed mess that is overwhelming. And because it's old, underwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'm a big proponent of staging and I do stage all of my listings. I think it will help but the floorplan is so jumbled that it's not going to be able to solve the problem IMO.
How does staging work? Do you pick out the furniture and plan what will go where? Who pays for it and how much does it cost?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:52 PM

6,324 posts, read 9,023,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
your agent should have one or more qualified stagers they use.
for what you probably need, you're looking at $1-2K/mo.
They have the furniture, so your fee above includes the furniture/accessories
there are several ways to pay for staging. your agent may pay some, all, or none
This is Massachusetts. Everything is more expensive here! I would guess renting an appropriate amount of furniture for staging in a house this size would be $3K/month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2houses.oh.no View Post
When we bought this place, which was perfect for us, I thought it was a good investment given the town and I felt that homes with accessory dwelling units/flexible living options would be in demand as the cost of housing and education continues to escalate, parents wanting independence living longer staying healthy traveling, etc.

I feel like that didn't come across in the marketing of the property. When you make it all into a 6-bedroom single house I think it falls apart and becomes a disjointed mess that is overwhelming. And because it's old, underwhelming.
IMO you're ahead of the curve on that idea. While having an accessory dwelling is more popular than it has been in the past, it's still not yet a widely desired feature. In the future that may well change but you're selling now.

Although I completely agree with you that your house is not being presented well, I still contend that it has the greatest appeal to a limited section of the buyer pool. This is going to result in a longer market time and a lower price than a house with wider appeal that has similar square footage, acreage, etc.

You certainly made a good decision buying in Hingham. It's a desirable town and the same house in a less sought after town would be harder to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2houses.oh.no View Post
How does staging work? Do you pick out the furniture and plan what will go where? Who pays for it and how much does it cost?
Typically, you hire a stager who handles everything. How much it's going to cost is going to depend entirely upon how much staging your house needs. If it's still furnished then the stager can likely use a lot of your furniture. The cost would be low in this case. If the house is empty then you'll want to rent furniture for a select number of rooms. Likely, that will cost thousands per month.

As for who pays . . . that's something you'll have to talk to your agent about.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:55 PM

6,064 posts, read 2,492,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinderman View Post
How rude.
So we went to a place called Mattapan and got right on the red line, seemed ok, then people told us it was bad ... does that mean real estate is cheap?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:55 PM

364 posts, read 195,034 times
Many others provided very helpful input, asked great questions, shared good suggestions, etc.

Being familiar with Scituate & Cohassett (lived there)) and Norwell (multiple friends lived/live there), the price isn't out of the ordinary for the area. And, it appears you're only asking $200K more than you paid during the 2007 market bottom. My first reaction was to the location (not as in "ugh Weymouth" like someone joked, but more commuter rail and water shuttle/ferry [in]convenience). As more people work at home, that's not as much of a killer as a decade or so ago. However, the bedroom locations/sizes and current 1-car garage would be a deal breaker for this native New Englander.

No one's raised the home heating. Perhaps I'm way off the mark, but the antique iron & seemingly dated baseboard radiators caught my attention. For example, I wondered how well the house is insulated, potential for it to cost a gold mine to heat, wondered how much "Continuously renovated" applied to the heating, and pondered what would need to be invested to bring the HVAC to reasonable 2018 standards.

Finally, a few people commented on the realtor's pictures and queried about the photographer's professionalism. Based on some responses, my focus was more on the purportedly well-respected, knowledgeable realtor. If not absolutely satisfied with the realtor him/herself, perhaps he/she is also part of the challenge. Regardless, good luck to the OP!

Old 01-25-2018, 09:26 PM

6,324 posts, read 9,023,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowai View Post
Being familiar with Scituate & Cohassett (lived there)) and Norwell (multiple friends lived/live there), the price isn't out of the ordinary for the area.
Definitely not. There are oodles of houses in Hingham at this price point. I couldn't agree with you more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowai View Post
And, it appears you're only asking $200K more than you paid during the 2007 market bottom.
One of the very first things they teach you about pricing houses when you become a real estate agent is that what the owner paid for the house is completely irrelevant to what the house is worth today. Any appraiser will tell you that as well. How do you know the current owner paid a fair price for it when they bought the house? Also, different houses will appreciate at different rates even in the same town. For example, your house may appreciate at a faster rate then the one a couple blocks away that's exactly the same except that it abuts some railroad tracks.

A house like this with appeal to a limited number of buyers, in my experience, appreciates at a slower rate than a house with broader appeal.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:47 AM

308 posts, read 194,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
So we went to a place called Mattapan and got right on the red line, seemed ok, then people told us it was bad ... does that mean real estate is cheap?
Not sure what exactly you're asking here. That being said there is a world of difference between Mattapan and Weymouth. Weymouth is just kind of blah. Large swaths of Mattapan are really bad.

The "How rude" was a joke though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or