Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:35 PM

569 posts, read 439,823 times

Advertisements

I didn't make it through all the pages of this forum posting and I may be too late to the game but I have a couple cosmetic suggestions.

I think the kitchen cabinet and island colors don't look great with the floor color. I would lighten the dark cabinets and the accent color for the island and paint that black door to the left side of the one kitchen picture white. I would remove the recessed light above the kitchen island and add a drop down light as a focal point for the center of the kitchen. Also the counter tops are a strange shade of green. I understand they area a quality material but, with that small of a kitchen, I think updating the granite would make a huge difference. When doing that you might be able to extend the island length a little to provide a small bar seating area at the island for more functionality. I would consider getting ready of the lower desk area in the kitchen if you changed out the counters as well. I just think with lighter colors and less dated materials that you could give more of a wow factor to the kitchen that might make the difference in selling it quickly. I would also remove the chandelier in between the kitchen and the fireplace for a flush mount fixture.

I love the sunroom with lots of windows but I believe the color of the wall is too close to the color of the window trim. It's not the same color but so close that you don't have any contrast with the window trim. A nice light bright color would be wonderful in there with all the light. And replace the builder grade looking ceiling fan with something more attractive.

With spring/summer coming up I would add a couple lounge chairs or a dining set on the pool patio and some planters for a focal point. Right now the patio looks very barren. You want people to imagine themselves there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 07:07 AM

19 posts, read 23,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2houses.oh.no View Post
Can any real estate professionals give me some insight as to why this house has not sold? It has been on the market since May in a really hot town south of Boston. The realtor has had tons of open houses, advertising, brochures, traffic, showings. Not a single offer.

Obviously it's not professionally staged. We emptied it out a few months into the process. There is still old stuff in the basement and barn, not a lot, but some. What's your gut feeling? I took it off the market yesterday. Plan to realist in the spring. You can be honest, I really want to sell it and need help! Thanks!

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M43347-40237
[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Looks like it's still for sale, and there's 16 pages here... not reading any of it, but I'll give my opinions.

Love the house. I went to Eaglebrook School in Deerfield, MA back in the early 1990s... and I've always loved the New England area. Your house is exactly what I think of when I imagine a "finished" home from This Old House. It has all the touches that Norm Abrahms would have (custom built-ins, etc.). It looks finished, and needs nothing.

If I must find something to criticize, the only thing I'd point to is that the appliances in the kitchen seem a bit dated for the price of the home. Usually, when a home is that well maintained and so well appointed, all the little things stand out. There are some old 2.5 gallon toilets in there, and mid 1990s appliances.

But... I don't think that's the issue. I think that asking $1.3 million puts it in a price point where there are likely fewer buyers. I'm certainly not saying it isn't worth every penny of it... but a home in that price range usually takes longer to sell.

I hope you get an awesome buyer that maintains the home as well as your family has.

... I bet Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners are awesome there!!!

Old 04-17-2018, 09:26 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
OP, saw that you added back in some additional exterior photos including some with the pool, as well as a floor plan.

Smart move!! Good luck with the open house, hope your buyer shows up then!

Old 04-17-2018, 10:40 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
There are buyers for them crappy, old New England ramblers. I would not touch one with a 10 foot poll. My first wife would wet herself with glee owning that home. One of the reasons we did not stay married long.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:16 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
The outside photos show these shingles on all sides that need replacing. Not the roof. That's huge right there.
Then the trailing vine going up an outside wall. That messes with the shingles / wall, too.

I agree with Luckeeesmom from a few posts back.

The kitchen cabinets. Green? Sorry, it looks nice in an empty kitchen but it doesn't inspire hunger for a family meal.
Same with the sunroom - Bad wall color choice.
That black in one room and those awful black valances.
I'm wondering if there's energy efficient items to off set utility costs of this 'barn'. Obviously it's a big house.
I didn't read the data points on this house but I wonder which floors the bedrooms are on, if the master is on the first floor, or if the family is going up and down stairs all day. Sounds exhausting.
New England? Yes I'm concerned about heating during the winter. Streets clear of snow. How soon does the city clean the streets out where this house is?

Personally? I wouldn't buy it.
Edit: Even with a pool. How many months can you use a pool in NE? Two?
I remember visiting my parents in Vermont and going to a 4th of July parade in a heavy winter coat. !!

Old 04-30-2018, 10:44 AM

30 posts, read 38,180 times
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. At this point I think we're limited to dropping the price until it sells.

The positive comments of encouragement are much appreciated, especially from those who have been following along from the very beginning. We may go forward with professional staging if we don't have an offer soon.

There are contractors who have been back so many times on behalf of their buyers that I feel like they are personal friends of mine. At least 4-5 parties are circling but no one has made an offer, so it's down to price at this point.

Here we are opening the pool again! Oh well...

Old 04-30-2018, 10:53 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Oh no! I saw your post and hoped it was good news.

Good luck this spring. We'll stay tuned.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:43 PM

779 posts, read 876,560 times
Also wishing you luck! I thought about you when I saw a few houses on Prospect go up for sale. And I'm very glad that tree that blew over didn't hit the house. So nerve-wracking during those big storms (we have a few that I always worry about during storms).

Old 04-30-2018, 01:05 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times
Quote:
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. At this point I think we're limited to dropping the price until it sells.

The positive comments of encouragement are much appreciated, especially from those who have been following along from the very beginning. We may go forward with professional staging if we don't have an offer soon.

There are contractors who have been back so many times on behalf of their buyers that I feel like they are personal friends of mine. At least 4-5 parties are circling but no one has made an offer, so it's down to price at this point.

I may be wrong but aren't multiple visits from contractors a very positive sign? Or do people just do this? It takes a fair amount of time to think of and organize all of this. Explain what you want to contractors, answer a million questions, etc. Depending on the market and type of contractor, you may have to pay for such "assessments".

I assume they are pricing various pieces of work? What kind of work is it if you don't mind saying? obviously this is a big statement as to what people see are the weaknesses.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:34 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:

You had plenty of lookers when listed with an agent.

Gotta find out how to convince them to take the next step.
Price is the easy way, but you might press to learn what the true stumbling blocks are for these buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate