U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 04:37 AM

31,594 posts, read 55,307,520 times

Advertisements

So, Lennar collects on both sales, and gets assurance that their contracted buyer will have funds to close.
Slick. Smart.

https://therealdeal.com/2018/01/24/o...for-expansion/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 05:00 AM

33,035 posts, read 12,497,258 times
Sweet deal.

Saves a lot of work and worry.

Surprised to read that OpenDoor invests in repairs.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Sweet deal.

Saves a lot of work and worry.

Surprised to read that OpenDoor invests in repairs.
Actually, I would expect any well-funded buyer to invest in repairs, rather than demanding repairs from sellers.
And, to purchase the property at a price that will recognize those repair costs.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:43 AM

5,920 posts, read 10,440,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Actually, I would expect any well-funded buyer to invest in repairs, rather than demanding repairs from sellers.
And, to purchase the property at a price that will recognize those repair costs.

I've watched a couple of open-door acquisitions from the sidelines in Phoenix over the past year - it appears they're paying too much for acquisitions & sitting on rehabbed properties longer than a true flipper would. The properties I've watched still had a tiny bit of (apparent) profit in them, but mostly because the market is so hot & appreciating monthly. I don't think the business model works anywhere except the hottest & most expensive markets. Maybe they're super-awesome at negotiating & managing repairs, but I suspect they're just "buying" notoriety & relevance with their start-up cash. Probably worth looking at if you've got a dog to sell - if you've got a house that's well maintained & better than the comps, I'd just sell it myself for full retail.

In Phoenix, it's a solution to a "problem" that doesn't really exist- if you're priced right, you're not going to have to wait more than a couple of weeks to sell. There are plenty of buyers & plenty of $$ available in loans. My last deal in Phoenix went pending on day one, at full pop. No need for a middleman.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I've watched a couple of open-door acquisitions from the sidelines in Phoenix over the past year - it appears they're paying too much for acquisitions & sitting on rehabbed properties longer than a true flipper would. The properties I've watched still had a tiny bit of (apparent) profit in them, but mostly because the market is so hot & appreciating monthly. I don't think the business model works anywhere except the hottest & most expensive markets. Maybe they're super-awesome at negotiating & managing repairs, but I suspect they're just "buying" notoriety & relevance with their start-up cash. Probably worth looking at if you've got a dog to sell - if you've got a house that's well maintained & better than the comps, I'd just sell it myself for full retail.

In Phoenix, it's a solution to a "problem" that doesn't really exist- if you're priced right, you're not going to have to wait more than a couple of weeks to sell. There are plenty of buyers & plenty of $$ available in loans. My last deal in Phoenix went pending on day one, at full pop. No need for a middleman.
I looked at an Open Door listing online this morning in Raleigh.
Can't see details of their acquisition, but it appears that some repairs were buried in the acquisition price.
And, if they charged a fee to the seller, then they may have a whisker of a margin. A very fine whisker.

It is an interesting house, so I will watch it a bit and see how it goes.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:58 PM

6,324 posts, read 9,026,282 times
Quote:
I looked at an Open Door listing online this morning in Raleigh.
Can't see details of their acquisition, but it appears that some repairs were buried in the acquisition price.
And, if they charged a fee to the seller, then they may have a whisker of a margin. A very fine whisker.

It is an interesting house, so I will watch it a bit and see how it goes.
Didn't I read in the article that they charge a 7% fee to the seller?

I have to imagine their model is setup to realize a profit somewhere. I know we live in an age where companies lose millions every year and just make it up by getting additional funding but there has to be some income somewhere in the model.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:52 PM

704 posts, read 550,117 times
I have had builders take homes on trade before, but typically at about 80% of value to accommodate for 8.5% to resell the property, carrying costs and risk. At 7%, it doesn't appear to make sense to me unless their margins on the new homes justify it.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:27 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,055,531 times
Quote:
Yes, I have thought that this approach makes a lot more sense.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post

I've never heard of them until now, but I know that some of these that buy in quantity expect to lose money on some and make up the difference somewhere else. I've don't flips, but never will do anything on that scale. Sounds scary to me.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Didn't I read in the article that they charge a 7% fee to the seller?

I have to imagine their model is setup to realize a profit somewhere. I know we live in an age where companies lose millions every year and just make it up by getting additional funding but there has to be some income somewhere in the model.
I saw that too and asked myself where that fits in if the seller is getting fair market value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or