U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 09:16 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,055,031 times

Advertisements

I don't think this thread is real.

Having elderly parents myself I know that if something were up like this that two siblings could figure out how to get a rifle away from 91 year old mom. If it were my parents I would go to moms and hang out, wait for her to nod off, set the gun down etc. Or if it is a situation where this is too dangerous, she is a potential danger to herself or someone else you can call the police. You can't legally threaten someone with a gun for no good reason.

As far as claiming someone is incompetent I've had to do this and it isn't a quick process, can take longer if they oppose you on it.

Rarely do things go this far, but it happens. Most of the time people just move on and find another house rather than fight over it. How much cash would it take to make these buyers happy enough to walk away? If this is for real that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 10:11 AM
KCZ

1,548 posts, read 762,582 times
You might suggest your coworker's realtor point out to the other party's realtor that it won't look good for the prospective buyers if the media learns they're trying to force a 90 year old woman out of her family home. Of course, it's not going to look good for your coworker's realtor or the sister either.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:43 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,030,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I don't think this thread is real.

Having elderly parents myself I know that if something were up like this that two siblings could figure out how to get a rifle away from 91 year old mom. If it were my parents I would go to moms and hang out, wait for her to nod off, set the gun down etc. Or if it is a situation where this is too dangerous, she is a potential danger to herself or someone else you can call the police. You can't legally threaten someone with a gun for no good reason.

As far as claiming someone is incompetent I've had to do this and it isn't a quick process, can take longer if they oppose you on it.

Rarely do things go this far, but it happens. Most of the time people just move on and find another house rather than fight over it. How much cash would it take to make these buyers happy enough to walk away? If this is for real that is.
Op here.

First, As I said this isn't my rodeo. My coworker came in upset over this situation and I said I would post the question. it's very possible she could be blowing smoke up my backside but why would she??

Next, her mom is 91, this rifle belonged to her dad (my friends granddad) so we're talking what over 120 years old. I've got a feeling this is not an ak 57, that it's an antique that's been in the basement since Jesus was a boy. I had an Italian neighbor, very nice women and when I broke up with my ex she always asked if I wanted her "cousins" from Jersey to take care of him. Did I really think she had mob connections that would rub someone ut? NO.
I think mom was simply ranting after receiving a notice that someone was suing her for 500K and threatening to take her house.

again, this isn't my horse race, I just offered to get some advice on it.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:25 AM

15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times
I hope your co-worker has gotten the gun out of the house. I don't care how old someone is, pointing a weapon at authorities will not end well.

Her mom likely qualifies for free legal help. Have your coworker call #211 from her mom's local area code and ask for free senior legal help. And, any other resources she needs.

211 is a National free resource information provider...You can call and ask for assistance related to any issue. The phones are manned 24/7 with volunteers trained to identify which local/national agency you need for any issue, and they provide the contact information to you. Anyone, any age can call. 2-1-1.org

a general webpage with help services for seniors. https://index.about.com/index?qsrc=9...yAAEgIYgvD_BwE

Old 01-28-2018, 04:55 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,030,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I hope your co-worker has gotten the gun out of the house. I don't care how old someone is, pointing a weapon at authorities will not end well.

Her mom likely qualifies for free legal help. Have your coworker call #211 from her mom's local area code and ask for free senior legal help. And, any other resources she needs.

211 is a National free resource information provider...You can call and ask for assistance related to any issue. The phones are manned 24/7 with volunteers trained to identify which local/national agency you need for any issue, and they provide the contact information to you. Anyone, any age can call. 2-1-1.org

a general webpage with help services for seniors. https://index.about.com/index?qsrc=9...yAAEgIYgvD_BwE
Thanks Jan
I'll post an update on Monday when I get to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate