U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 11:48 PM

3,122 posts, read 1,217,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
Your house sounds interesting. You never know what people will like. I had a friend that had painted murals on her walls, kitchen back splash was broken tile, pieces of cups and plates and even Doll heads and they did some kind of flagstone on the floors. I figured it would set forever. Sold in 4 days for $5000 over asking.
10 foot high heliconia leaf mural on the living room wall, broken plate mosaic on the bar on the back deck. We're painting out the upper half of the bedroom mural, leaving an underwater scene on the lower wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 03:14 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,324,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Thanks, that's good to know.

Our realtor said we should list the house with the painted floors, but I'm looking for things to worry about.

I would never put carpet anywhere here. just too humid.

we covered the decoupage with a clear finish made for decks, it's holding up well.
I would agree to list is as-is. Trying to choose what a buyer might like as flooring is somewhat of a gamble. You can always make a price concession as to what it would cost to install new flooring.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:08 AM

31,594 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I would agree to list is as-is. Trying to choose what a buyer might like as flooring is somewhat of a gamble. You can always make a price concession as to what it would cost to install new flooring.
Agreed.
And, I would add, let the market talk to you as your locally-aware agent suggests. Then, if you get stiffed in the market with terrible feedback after showings, you might consider spending the money for new flooring.

But, what do you really lose if you just give it a go as is?

Old 01-28-2018, 06:46 AM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Painted sub-floor probably will not pass an FHA or VA appraisal. Flooring needs to be where flooring goes, and that is a red flag right there. If you had a cash or conventional buyer, it shouldn't be an issue.
My daughter bought home in FL--w/ FHA mortgage-- and the house has painted concrete/foundation flooring in several of the main areas-only two of the bedrooms and the room that used to be the outdoor lanai and was enclosed (with permit) by person they bought from has carpet...
They didn't have any problem getting their mortgage

Concrete flooring can be very high end finish/floor and in past 10 yrs has become more common
I find them very practical in area like FL where there is lot of in/out traffic

Like others posted, your best bet is to check out homes for sale in your area via Realtor.com or contact a local realtor...

Old 01-28-2018, 07:08 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,377,851 times
I had a flood in my FL condo hall/BR - the padding and carpet had to be ripped out - and would never consider listing it with just subflooring. But it's FLORIDA and bedroom carpeting is common.

Because it would suggest there are problems in the house. Or that I was a deferred maintenance type of person.

I actually would put tile down if I were going to stay here but I'm moving so I'm planning to change out both the master BR carpet AND the [flooded] BR before listing.

You probably shouldn't bother in your case.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:40 AM

7,077 posts, read 16,889,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My daughter bought home in FL--w/ FHA mortgage-- and the house has painted concrete/foundation flooring in several of the main areas-only two of the bedrooms and the room that used to be the outdoor lanai and was enclosed (with permit) by person they bought from has carpet...
They didn't have any problem getting their mortgage

Concrete flooring can be very high end finish/floor and in past 10 yrs has become more common
I find them very practical in area like FL where there is lot of in/out traffic

Like others posted, your best bet is to check out homes for sale in your area via Realtor.com or contact a local realtor...
Stained and painted concrete flooring is completely different than sub-flooring which is usually just partical board. Staining the concrete seals it and makes it a finished product. Partical board/subfloor is never a finished product as it's only meant for something to go on top of it.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:14 AM

18,975 posts, read 10,040,378 times
Real estate is always going to be location specific, but I'd venture to guess that Hawaii is even more location specific than just about anywhere else. I'd go with what your agent says on this one.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:34 AM

1,488 posts, read 573,205 times
As a realtor, I'd suggest putting in a med shade taupe carpet. Or wood look tile in a medium shade. Buyers dont like unfinished projects. And an unfinished cement floor is not appealing to most people.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:46 AM

3,122 posts, read 1,217,954 times
emm74, you're right.
Hawaii is made up of RE microclimates, mostly due to infrastructure.

For instance, I live on a dirt road. But it's fairly wide, and 5 minutes from a paved road. We're about 15 minutes from the highway (a one-lane-in-each-direction road), and 40 minutes from town. They just installed fiber optic cables for internet; up to now, we've had satellite or dial-up. (We got the first available installation appointment--it's in mid-March. woohoo, that'll help the sale; many people have said they won't live where there's no high-speed.)

The next several streets down from me are narrower and in worse shape, and farther from pavement. I'm not sure if they've installed the fiber optic cables there yet.

Streets in the other direction are paved, and have had internet a little longer.

If you go closer to the highway on my street, the road is paved. A little further, and they've had high speed internet and even newspaper delivery for years.

So my true comparables are within just a few blocks of my house. Most of the lots around here are undeveloped, so there are maybe 20 houses in my comp area. And none of them are for sale.
I've been in a few of them; many have single-wall construction, some don't have glass in the windows (just screens used to be very common here. Can be a nuisance in heavy rain.) Most have jsut one bathroom.

That makes my double-wall construction with double pane windows and 3 bathrooms either a jewel or overbuilt for the area. I guess we'll see once we get rid of all this junk and put it on the market!

Old 01-28-2018, 01:36 PM

11,612 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
As a realtor, I'd suggest putting in a med shade taupe carpet. Or wood look tile in a medium shade. Buyers dont like unfinished projects. And an unfinished cement floor is not appealing to most people.
I would definitely prefer an allowance to choose my own flooring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate