Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 04:17 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
If they hit her w/anything it is an assault...why don't you just freakin' call the cops and file a report?
No, if they hit her it's a battery. If they throw things and it scares her, even if she doesn't get hit, it's an assault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 05:27 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question in.

My mother's house is adjacent to a house of a family with 4 children. They are not the nicest people. Other neighbors are aware of that as well. There was an issue with their dog before when they would leave it outside barking and wouldn't let it back in. (this is Arizona mind you - very hot). When they were confronted, they were not nice about it at all. The barking continued until the dog eventually died.

Now the issue we are having is that their small kids are throwing things at my mom when she works in her backyard. Food, paper, rocks, pine cones, etc. When my mom told the kids to stop, they ridiculed her. Now, I get it - they are small kids but it's potentially dangerous for my mom. She wrote to the HOA who placed a phone call. The neighbor claimed that the kids don't intentionally throw stuff and it gets accidentally thrown across the 6 foot fence. That is a lie as my mom witnessed the kids throwing stuff at her and then watching how she is going to react.

They also claimed that my mom burns stuff in the backyard. She does have a fire pit in her backyard, and I don't believe there is any rule that prohibits using it... and she used it maybe once or twice in the last year. What should her response be to this?

Lastly, this is verbatim from the HOA: "If you and your neighbor cannot get along this will be a neighbor to neighbor issue. If these disputes continue this will have to be brought to the board."

What should be her actions at this point? It's obvious that the neighbor is mean and is not willing to admit that their kids are in the wrong.

Please help - my mom is older and needs help/advice dealing with the mean neighbors...
I can't give legal advice outside of New York, and without knowing the situation.

However, assuming that the OP gives a true picture of what's going on, and it's in New York, this is personally what I'd do. I'd mount a camera, as one of the posters suggests. Then file, and keep filing, complaints with the Police Department. Even if the charges are resolved as a subcriminal violation of trespassing or harassment, the conviction or plea of guilty comes with an order of protection that will be rather specific. Violating that order is not just another annoyance; it's contempt of court. Over time, they'll be lucky not to be in jail unless they get their act together.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:19 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Thank you for all the replies. I talked to HOA, and they are aware that the neighbors are "difficult". But it sounds like there's not much they can do besides making a phone call. I will look into getting a camera set up. Sad there are people like that...
That's good, I would have suggested having someone inside with a pellet gun firing if they threw anything....Yeah that does tend to sting. But it's nice and quiet....

Old 01-30-2018, 06:51 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
Quote:

My mother's house is adjacent to a house of a family with 4 children. They are not the nicest people. Other neighbors are aware of that as well. There was an issue with their dog before when they would leave it outside barking and wouldn't let it back in. (this is Arizona mind you - very hot). When they were confronted, they were not nice about it at all. The barking continued until the dog eventually died.

Now the issue we are having is that their small kids are throwing things at my mom when she works in her backyard. Food, paper, rocks, pine cones, etc. When my mom told the kids to stop, they ridiculed her. Now, I get it - they are small kids but it's potentially dangerous for my mom. She wrote to the HOA who placed a phone call. The neighbor claimed that the kids don't intentionally throw stuff and it gets accidentally thrown across the 6 foot fence. That is a lie as my mom witnessed the kids throwing stuff at her and then watching how she is going to react.

They also claimed that my mom burns stuff in the backyard. She does have a fire pit in her backyard, and I don't believe there is any rule that prohibits using it... and she used it maybe once or twice in the last year. What should her response be to this?

Lastly, this is verbatim from the HOA: "If you and your neighbor cannot get along this will be a neighbor to neighbor issue. If these disputes continue this will have to be brought to the board."

What should be her actions at this point? It's obvious that the neighbor is mean and is not willing to admit that their kids are in the wrong.

Please help - my mom is older and needs help/advice dealing with the mean neighbors...
OP, regarding the fire pit. You don't say where in AZ your mother resides. Maricopa County has "no burn" days.

http://cleanairmakemore.com/

Good luck with those neighbors. They sound charming.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:56 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:

Throwing things at someone is called assault. Call the cops and have them pay a visit. Leave the evidence where it’s at and take video of them throwing things.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:05 PM

492 posts, read 630,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
That's good, I would have suggested having someone inside with a pellet gun firing if they threw anything....Yeah that does tend to sting. But it's nice and quiet....
Are you trying to be funny or is this a serious suggestion?

Old 01-31-2018, 12:52 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Install surveillance camera....document and call the cops.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:02 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times
Quote:

Same thing happened with my mom. She ended up just buying them sweets and they stopped.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:43 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
How old is Mom? Is she feeble or incredibly shy?

How old are the kids? Are they elementary age, middle school, teens?

The response really depends on the above. I’m close to 70 and if these kids were not in high school I would do a combination of talking to the parents and kids, getting a fence they can’t see me through, getting a lawyer to send parents a cease and desist letter, filing a complaint with the police. Getting a camera and posting a video surveilance warning they could see.

I might even go as far as talk to the school principal because this “bullying” behavior may flow into other areas and I might make want to enlighten the school that these kids are a potential danger to other kids.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:19 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,494 times
higher fence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate