Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 11:37 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,442,076 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question in.

My mother's house is adjacent to a house of a family with 4 children. They are not the nicest people. Other neighbors are aware of that as well. There was an issue with their dog before when they would leave it outside barking and wouldn't let it back in. (this is Arizona mind you - very hot). When they were confronted, they were not nice about it at all. The barking continued until the dog eventually died.

Now the issue we are having is that their small kids are throwing things at my mom when she works in her backyard. Food, paper, rocks, pine cones, etc. When my mom told the kids to stop, they ridiculed her. Now, I get it - they are small kids but it's potentially dangerous for my mom. She wrote to the HOA who placed a phone call. The neighbor claimed that the kids don't intentionally throw stuff and it gets accidentally thrown across the 6 foot fence. That is a lie as my mom witnessed the kids throwing stuff at her and then watching how she is going to react.

They also claimed that my mom burns stuff in the backyard. She does have a fire pit in her backyard, and I don't believe there is any rule that prohibits using it... and she used it maybe once or twice in the last year. What should her response be to this?

Lastly, this is verbatim from the HOA: "If you and your neighbor cannot get along this will be a neighbor to neighbor issue. If these disputes continue this will have to be brought to the board."

What should be her actions at this point? It's obvious that the neighbor is mean and is not willing to admit that their kids are in the wrong.

Please help - my mom is older and needs help/advice dealing with the mean neighbors...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 11:50 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
What should be her actions at this point?
Bottom line? This won't resolve until one of them moves.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:02 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I think she needs to get a security camera that can capture the kids throwing rocks at her, if they are continuing to do that.

It's kind of unclear what the HOA is stating here. Are they stating they will both be treated as troublesome and argumentative, and the HOA board will consider what sanctions to take against them both? Or are they planning to help mediate and reach a peaceable solution?

Old 01-29-2018, 12:10 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Security camera is a good idea. Call the police if it becomes dangerous or real harassment. Sad for your mom and she shouldn't have to put up with it.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:24 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
The HOA can't and shouldn't be law enforcement.

I think you need evidence, video evidence... and then police reports.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:40 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Whup those kids

Old 01-29-2018, 12:54 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times
"If you and your neighbor cannot get along this will be a neighbor to neighbor issue. If these disputes continue this will have to be brought to the board."

Sounds contradictory. First sentence seems to mean "you guys deal with it". Second sentences seems to mean "the board will deal with it". Why can't people write with any clarity these days?

Old 01-29-2018, 01:06 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
Ditto on some video evidence. You can probably get a super inexpensive video cam and set it up so your mom can turn it on when she goes in the yard, maybe even a motion detection one. My son bought one of those for the car that was only $35, though no sound. May not have super clear video but it would be better than nothing. Does she have wifi at her home?
My car cam works by digital recording is on a loop. I think it records up to 8 hours and then it records over the oldest recording. So if there is something you want to save and not to be recorded over you just unplug it, I think there is a SD card. It is also activated by simply plugging into cigarette lighter outlet thing in car. Could one be set up some way to use when she goes in backyard?

Last edited by Izzie1213; 01-29-2018 at 02:20 PM..

Old 01-29-2018, 01:48 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
it's assault and battery. Send them a registered letter asking them to cease and desist. If it continues, contact Child Protective Services and the police with video evidence.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:02 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,442,076 times
Thank you for all the replies. I talked to HOA, and they are aware that the neighbors are "difficult". But it sounds like there's not much they can do besides making a phone call. I will look into getting a camera set up. Sad there are people like that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate