U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:55 AM

8,238 posts, read 9,994,274 times

Advertisements

Condo units in the same complex/building are pretty much the same. Even though some may have a few added amenities, buyers check the sales prices of units with similar floor plans and prices vary little between those units.

If your parents unit is particularly bad in terms of wear and tear, dirty carpets or chipped/scratched woodwork and paint, spending a little to fix those things will go a lot further than spending $1.5 to $2K to try to cover it up with staging. If the basic condition is not that bad, staging is probably going to cost you more than it returns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 09:33 AM

4,445 posts, read 5,169,495 times
A clean, empty condo with a few well placed artistic paintings on the wall will give you the open space with splashes of color.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:36 AM

718 posts, read 840,623 times
Some great advice. I like the mostly empty with tasteful wall decorations and some minimalist furniture approach.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:05 AM

3,827 posts, read 2,047,976 times
I usually recommend leaving a dining table and chairs, or porch benches, or someplace to sit for a minute. If there's no where to sit, people will look and leave. Many many times clients have wanted to sit there and talk awhile to contemplate making an offer.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I usually recommend leaving a dining table and chairs, or porch benches, or someplace to sit for a minute. If there's no where to sit, people will look and leave. Many many times clients have wanted to sit there and talk awhile to contemplate making an offer.
That's a great idea. We might even purchase a cheap set at IKEA because their existing set is dated and dirty.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:51 AM

5,412 posts, read 3,386,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Talk to your realtor. If the kitchen and baths are original, and if the carpet is old, I don't think staging it will improve it enough to justify the expense. But we cannot possibly know. An experienced realtor should.
I've never met a real estate agent who wasn't in favor of me spending more money so s/he can get paid quicker.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:53 AM

We're actually going to use Redfin. I see no convincing reason to use a realtor in that market outside of the sort of ideas and insights I'm getting for free right here.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:58 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,311,331 times
Are you using a realtor? Most realtors now have a stager come in as part of their included service. I would ask for your realtors opinion on this matter!. Personally, I like a staged home. It lets me see how the rooms will look with furniture in them. An empty home could be deceiving and seem bigger than it actually is. I guess that would be a plus for the seller though!

WAIT....I just saw above that you're using a Redfin. Isn't that with a realtor, just discounted? They should still be able to advise you on this as they know the area best.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:08 PM

31,592 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Are you using a realtor? Most realtors now have a stager come in as part of their included service. I would ask for your realtors opinion on this matter!. Personally, I like a staged home. It lets me see how the rooms will look with furniture in them. An empty home could be deceiving and seem bigger than it actually is. I guess that would be a plus for the seller though!

WAIT....I just saw above that you're using a Redfin. Isn't that with a realtor, just discounted? They should still be able to advise you on this as they know the area best.
Well, Redfin IS generally a REALTOR® firm.

There truly is no such thing as a "discount" firm.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:01 PM

4,779 posts, read 1,542,522 times
Clear out half of the clutter and furniture and have it professionally cleaned.

That's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or