Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 12:20 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times

Advertisements

I liked the grey in some of the houses but not all, depends on the architecture however we ended up buying a house with no grey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 12:57 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
if it's not mousy gray it's ok in my book. soft grays can be paired with vibrant red painting, pictures, furnishings. white curtains and/caprpets, zebra or polka dot throws, black shelves and tables... the sky is the limit. this background can really make the furnishings pop.

I'm sick and tired of beige and earth tones.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:02 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Gray is the new modern neutral. Most younger buyers want nothing to do with beige and tan colors. I have gray in some of my rooms and it looks fantastic with white trim. Sometimes the color looks bluish and other times slightly purple depending on the light. I've been given many complements on it! You add colors such as teal, reds, etc and it look great! Just my opinion!

Old 01-30-2018, 01:07 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Gray is the new modern neutral. Most younger buyers want nothing to do with beige and tan colors. I have gray in some of my rooms and it looks fantastic with white trim. Sometimes the color looks bluish and other times slightly purple depending on the light. I've been given many complements on it! You add colors such as teal, reds, etc and it look great! Just my opinion!
Yes. White trim.
Yes. Bold color.

Agreeable Gray is a background color, IMO.
What you add to can it make it gorgeous.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:18 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
I agree, no grey for me. Not living here anyway.

My go-to neutral is a nice, clean, true cream.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:38 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
I love grays, I like them much better than beige/tan. Add white trim and baseboards and vibrant color via area rugs, pillows, art, bright dishes, etc. and it can be stylish and gorgeous.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:41 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Most of our home is gray. The outside is a dark gray with white trim, white doors, the garage door is white. The inside all the trim is white, doors are white, baseboard, crown molding all white. Light fixtures, cover plates, drawer pulls, door hardware all nickle in color. Even the door bell and door bell button plates are nickel.

I started calling our home the 50 shades of gray house.

I think our kids were all done with gray. Our older son had me paint his room a very dark blue. Everything else is white. Our two teen age sons had me paint their room a deep red. Trim is still all white. Our daughter had us paint her room turquoise. She has so much pink in the room that the color worked for her. Finally my wife decided that she wanted to change our room. We will be painting it burgundy. Still the hallways, bathrooms, living room, entry, dining room, kitchen are all shades of gray. One bathroom is charcoal gray. At first I thought it was too dark but everyone seems to love it.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:57 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Don't get me wrong. I can see it as a neutral and a lot of what I have seen is very nice looking. I like gray. It actually one of my favorite clothing choices.

I just couldn't live with it in an area of no sun. It would drive me out of my mind, between the outside and the in I would feel like I was living in a gray bubble prison.

I would be more likely to use it in a southern beach house than a northern house.

Years ago, I bought a small house with a nice neutral off white LR, DR, hallway. Fine.
Lived with it for a couple of years, then because it needed repainting I did so with a nice neutral off white. My neutral off white had a more yellow base, so when I painted over what was there that was when I realized it had a more gray base. I was MUCH happier with my neutral vs. the other even though they were essentially the same "color" and tone or lightness.

IDK, lack of sun, light etc. is really hard on me and I think bases in paints and color can be pretty important in mood. I certainly seem to react.
(I don't like a pinkish undertone in light beige's or creams, reminds me of skin and that's disgusting

Of course one can repaint but wall tile, flooring are a bit harder.

Trends, fads. Sigh

Last edited by Giesela; 01-30-2018 at 02:16 PM..

Old 01-30-2018, 02:44 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Don't get me wrong. I can see it as a neutral and a lot of what I have seen is very nice looking. I like gray. It actually one of my favorite clothing choices.

I just couldn't live with it in an area of no sun. It would drive me out of my mind, between the outside and the in I would feel like I was living in a gray bubble prison.

I would be more likely to use it in a southern beach house than a northern house.

Years ago, I bought a small house with a nice neutral off white LR, DR, hallway. Fine.
Lived with it for a couple of years, then because it needed repainting I did so with a nice neutral off white. My neutral off white had a more yellow base, so when I painted over what was there that was when I realized it had a more gray base. I was MUCH happier with my neutral vs. the other even though they were essentially the same "color" and tone or lightness.

IDK, lack of sun, light etc. is really hard on me and I think bases in paints and color can be pretty important in mood. I certainly seem to react.
(I don't like a pinkish undertone in light beige's or creams, reminds me of skin and that's disgusting

Of course one can repaint but wall tile, flooring are a bit harder.

Trends, fads. Sigh
I think it really depends on the shade of gray you’re picking also. I have a lighter gray on my walls so it’s not dark at all. Is gray a fad? Possibly? But it is a neutral color and most homes if owned by the same person for more than 10 years will need updating anyway and that includes painting. On to the next so called fad!

Old 01-30-2018, 03:40 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Gray has been the trendy neutral for a few years now. I moved into my last house 10 years ago and found the perfect greige to paint the walls (and I still think it's a great color). But when I moved into my current (then new construction) house 3 years ago, I wanted something different and all of the builder paint colors were a shade of gray. Some were a bit more greige than others but they were all definitely on the gray side.

The fact is that reaction to color is subjective and what one person may perceive as "suicide-inducing" is "serene and restful" to someone else.

But just stick around another couple of years, I'm sure we'll be circling back to the beige side of the trendy neutral circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate