U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 09:00 AM

948 posts, read 378,042 times

Advertisements

I also prefer the lighter grays, especially because I think those dark grays may be difficult to paint over once the fad passes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 10:09 AM

344 posts, read 71,947 times
Bring back Avocado green!

Old 01-31-2018, 10:17 AM

14,058 posts, read 10,021,086 times
It is pretty! I painted my house light grey outside with bright red trims, painted my door red. My walls inside are different kinds of grey. The kitchen wall is white and my kitchen has grey furniture. White countertops and red curtains. PRETTY.

It is modern. Yellow and green, yikes ....

Old 01-31-2018, 10:56 AM

7,867 posts, read 21,009,677 times
I think the grey is nice to look at and is more of a modern feel.

However, I think it is horribly cold to live in. Even with bright colors thrown in.

My first apartment (17 years ago) was all in gray tones, and no matter how much warm color I threw in for decorating, it always felt cold to me. When I built my house, I put in all tans and browns and the house feels much much warmer. I would never do grays in a house I was going to live in.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:25 AM

19,098 posts, read 22,401,681 times
If you are going to paint your interior gray, be careful what shade you choose or your house could end up looking like a Navy barracks.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:34 AM

1,421 posts, read 492,385 times
I live in one of those places you describe--long cold snowy winters with lots of cloudy days--and am actually a big fan of it I am looking to buy a house here in a couple of years.

Beiges/browns/tans were the neutrals for so long that eventually something else had to come along and replace them.

Personally, I love the grey because anything can go with it.

I did a prior house we owned in greys about 20 years ago and did maroon/black accents and it turned out great.

The townhouse I am living in has yucky brown carpet and off-white walls so I'm kind of limited right now but for one I will be glad to go grey At least as far as house color schemes anyhow.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:33 PM

6,680 posts, read 1,532,481 times
The advice is always to use neutral colors when putting a house on the market. There are only so many neutral colors from which to choose.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:34 PM

15,035 posts, read 24,144,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

IDK, lack of sun, light etc. is really hard on me and I think bases in paints and color can be pretty important in mood. I certainly seem to react.
(I don't like a pinkish undertone in light beige's or creams, reminds me of skin and that's disgusting

Of course one can repaint but wall tile, flooring are a bit harder.

Trends, fads. Sigh
Not sure how the paint effects the sun light. Right now it is 74 degrees and 100% sunny. It is a little on the dry side though. Kind of need to increase the humidity around here.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:36 PM

15,035 posts, read 24,144,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Its not the shade, its the color for me. Pretty, like it, just....its fine to wear buy on the walls and floors its like a dark cloudy day.

In other news at my lat long today it was still light at 6pm! Hot Daymn! Woo Hoo!

But I understand it doesnt bother everyone. Just an unfortunate trend and timing for me.

At least they didn't do this plus black kitchen cabinets like one place I just viewed.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/17_zm/1_fr/
The body of our house is the color of the shutters.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:12 PM

16,536 posts, read 20,102,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Yes this is the on trend color now, if you watch any of the home remodel shows which were filmed probably at least 6 months ago the color schemes are mainly gray, inside and out.

I don't mind a soft gray inside. I like soft colors on walls, which are mostly earth tones in the beige or gray family. I don't like dark colored walls.

Gray is the new beige.

I'll agree with this. Stark white is - well stark. Beige looks dated. I have a 1920s house with lots of warm, oak woodwork and built ins. The very soft grey that we have really make the wood pop.

Also, we collect art and other bright objects. A soft grey is a good backdrop.

I also hate most dark colors inside of homes. They look dated and cheap. Red. Hunter green etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate