U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:11 PM

5,796 posts, read 2,829,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I've been looking, for quite awhile, in a northern market that has some of the worst weather in the country. Very low on sunny days. Mid Oct to mid April is 6 months of low gray cloud cover interspersed with a few bright too cold to go outside freezing days. Short short dark days (summers are long days but there is a lot of cloud cover and rain)

So why all the gray in renovations, flips, etc. I mean seriously, gray walls, ok you can repaint but there is gray tile in the kitchens, grayish colored wood flooring, gray carpeting. Seriously suicide inducing. Just looking at pictures on zillow depresses the heck out of me.

Is this the color now?
Flippers. I ran across the same thing. I particularly noticed because I don't like gray (it's a cold, industrial color). But it started being in vogue a couple of years ago. So I think what happened was when all the flippers started buying houses & fixing them up, they'd just buy versions of gray in everything, in bulk. That way they saved money by being able to use the same materials in all the houses. A little leftover gray countertop from one house could be used in another.

It was a real problem, and prevented me from buying several houses, because the cost to change everything was too much for me. Not just because I don't like gray, but also because my decor isn't in the gray family (the furniture and accessories).

But I think the flippers are the reason there are so many houses with it, and too much of it some of those houses.

I can't count the flipper houses I saw with an ugly gray swirly countertop, gray swirly ceramic tile, gray carpet, etc. It was everywhere. Even gray paint, when it's the whole house, is too much to fix because it would require professional painting running I figured several thousand dollars.

Gray in small doses is fine (if it's not the countertop or tile flooring). Or just a couple of rooms, which I could paint myself or have it contracted for a reasonable amount of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 01:25 AM

674 posts, read 259,199 times
Boring gray-colored cars are everywhere; now we have to put up with gray houses too?

Old 02-01-2018, 03:07 AM

5,439 posts, read 2,879,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Yes this is the on trend color now, if you watch any of the home remodel shows which were filmed probably at least 6 months ago the color schemes are mainly gray, inside and out.

I don't mind a soft gray inside. I like soft colors on walls, which are mostly earth tones in the beige or gray family. I don't like dark colored walls.

Gray is the new beige.
Which seems to present a major problem for some of these people who don't want to replace things like some carpet which might already be beige. Nothing like beige carpet and gray walls or a beige countertop with gray everything else.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:19 AM

5,439 posts, read 2,879,666 times
Quote:
Its not the shade, its the color for me. Pretty, like it, just....its fine to wear buy on the walls and floors its like a dark cloudy day.

In other news at my lat long today it was still light at 6pm! Hot Daymn! Woo Hoo!

But I understand it doesnt bother everyone. Just an unfortunate trend and timing for me.

At least they didn't do this plus black kitchen cabinets like one place I just viewed.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/17_zm/1_fr/
What genius decides to take a kitchen with a brown floor, brown cabinets, brown countertops and brown walls and add a gray backsplash?

Old 02-01-2018, 05:18 AM

14,753 posts, read 22,429,348 times
Gray can be really nice if it's the right shade. My house had a lot of gray walls and it's the most soul sucking gray you can imagine (actually you've probably seen it). Flat, dull, lifeless, doesn't reflect any other color. We've re-done most of it.

It's an ok neutral, but much more likely to be "cold" than "warm" like a tan/beige shade would be. And it actually does not go well with a lot of colors unless you get the shade exactly right.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:02 AM

1,051 posts, read 444,753 times
You know, any color that is used enough starts to become a "neutral". Consider how blue jeans are a neutral in fashion. Every color can be work with them.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:00 AM

1,329 posts, read 406,915 times
Quote:
I've been looking, for quite awhile, in a northern market that has some of the worst weather in the country. Very low on sunny days. Mid Oct to mid April is 6 months of low gray cloud cover interspersed with a few bright too cold to go outside freezing days. Short short dark days (summers are long days but there is a lot of cloud cover and rain)

So why all the gray in renovations, flips, etc. I mean seriously, gray walls, ok you can repaint but there is gray tile in the kitchens, grayish colored wood flooring, gray carpeting. Seriously suicide inducing. Just looking at pictures on zillow depresses the heck out of me.

Is this the color now?
I agree with you completely. It's like they are in mourning. My ex husband loved gray for walls, sheets, and pillowcases, anything actually. It went with his personality . Please, give me color. Even pure white is so much better than gray, blech. It brightens up the inside during those dark, dreary days. And a south facing house/apt so the sun can stream in, when there is any, lol.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:17 AM

15,270 posts, read 24,646,400 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=gray...DI_uw8gBfVEXM:

These homes are similar in color to my house. I love the look

Old 02-01-2018, 08:37 AM

3,358 posts, read 2,318,855 times
The state of the world is now pretty gray. After WW2, everyone was upbeat, and the colors were yellow and bright ones. Its a reflection of everyone’s view of the world.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:17 AM

2,789 posts, read 3,547,080 times
We did cast interior stone in beige and gray. These two colours (colcr in the USA) go with anything. But are custom colours could be licorice. I did a licorice coloured fireplace with a huge overmantel. Nice.

Even within 150 miles, the coast to the interior, the Architect colors will change, because the light spectrum changes.
Watching what's being done in Florida or Vegas does NOT apply to Spokane or Seattle. But notice how many house shows don't let you know the location????!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or