U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 09:22 AM

7,641 posts, read 10,677,618 times

Advertisements

I've been looking, for quite awhile, in a northern market that has some of the worst weather in the country. Very low on sunny days. Mid Oct to mid April is 6 months of low gray cloud cover interspersed with a few bright too cold to go outside freezing days. Short short dark days (summers are long days but there is a lot of cloud cover and rain)

So why all the gray in renovations, flips, etc. I mean seriously, gray walls, ok you can repaint but there is gray tile in the kitchens, grayish colored wood flooring, gray carpeting. Seriously suicide inducing. Just looking at pictures on zillow depresses the heck out of me.

Is this the color now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 09:27 AM

7,919 posts, read 5,059,230 times
Yes this is the on trend color now, if you watch any of the home remodel shows which were filmed probably at least 6 months ago the color schemes are mainly gray, inside and out.

I don't mind a soft gray inside. I like soft colors on walls, which are mostly earth tones in the beige or gray family. I don't like dark colored walls.

Gray is the new beige.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:27 AM

2,801 posts, read 1,368,739 times
Well, they offer the bright yellow pillows! To brighten it up.

I think grey was big last year. This year, I hear the new big color is some kind of purple.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:29 AM

4,238 posts, read 4,866,835 times
Gray will lend itself mixing well with other colors so a buyer has more flexibility to decorate without having to re-paint.

I was raised in Ohio but we never paid all that much attention to the weather until the heavy snow started. What makes you want to look in the Northern market? I will always miss the people in Ohio, especially those in the farming communities but I'm not sure how many of them have survived over the years.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:31 AM

30,090 posts, read 52,792,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I've been looking, for quite awhile, in a northern market that has some of the worst weather in the country. Very low on sunny days. Mid Oct to mid April is 6 months of low gray cloud cover interspersed with a few bright too cold to go outside freezing days. Short short dark days (summers are long days but there is a lot of cloud cover and rain)

So why all the gray in renovations, flips, etc. I mean seriously, gray walls, ok you can repaint but there is gray tile in the kitchens, grayish colored wood flooring, gray carpeting. Seriously suicide inducing. Just looking at pictures on zillow depresses the heck out of me.

Is this the color now?
People tend to overdue any good thing.

I have seen gray houses that I dislike as much as you do.
But, when I had my offices painted last year, I used a lot of gray at the advice of a decorator.
"Agreeable Gray" with lots of colored canvases on the walls, and the canvases really pop out.
I like it a lot more than I ever thought I would.

But, gray walls, cabinets, tile, counters?
Yeah, I agree. Awful. Just awful.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:35 AM

6,206 posts, read 8,530,201 times
People who build on spec tend to decorate using a neutral pallet in order to appeal to the largest number of buyers. Currently, gray is the hot neutral color. Not too many years ago the hot neutral color was beige.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:14 AM

209 posts, read 135,229 times
Builder brown and flipper gray! Although, a lot of builders are doing the gray thing now. I don't really mind it, it seems to blend well with just about every other color.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:52 AM

2,591 posts, read 921,174 times
I like gray--truly neutral, goes with everything. I was considering painting our bedroom a deep gray, but happened to put gray curtains in another room first. Yikes, the light was downright depressing! And that room was painted a light, cheerful yellow-green.

Several years ago, we painted the outside of our house light gray with dark gray trim (and a bright red front door). It looked great. When we sold a dozen years ago, our contractor friend talked us into repainting a warm color to appeal to more people. House sold fast, and has sold 2 or 3 more times since then. The latest was a flipper, who painted the outside pale gray with dark gray trim. I guess I was just ahead of my time.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:34 AM

19,694 posts, read 23,376,674 times
Gray has been the number one fashion color for houses. I liked the look well enough until I went out house shopping and after seeing a couple dozen gray houses, i'd had enough gray.

I like it fine for exteriors in gray weather areas, but if the weather is gray, the interior should be a warmer color.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 01-30-2018 at 11:44 AM..

Old 01-30-2018, 11:59 AM

189 posts, read 71,516 times
We are looking at doing some remodeling in our house and my wife told me that the hot trend now was gray. The look on my face pretty much said "no way." October through February is more gray than anything else up here. I like to have some color in places I can control to help balance the gray weather. Also, we've been in the house for over 20 years with no plans to move, so who knows what the hot trend will be when we do decide to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or