Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:20 AM

476 posts, read 1,134,425 times

Advertisements

I made a full price offer on a home but have issues with the seller's agent. On two separate occasions he's prepared vague contract addendums that should have been written or at least reviewed by an attorney. When my attorney reviewed them, he advised I not sign.

A week after the offer was made, the builder initialed each page of the contract but neglected to sign the final page or the buyer's addendum. My (buyer's) agent pointed this out as we were eager to get under contract. So, the seller's agent signed the contract himself! When questioned, he admitted he doesn't have power of attorney but "does this all the time".

The seller's agent promised to have the builder sign the offer by Monday. But, I went ahead and withdrew my offer today. After we closed, my agent and attorney were going to report this man to the Real Estate Commission I suppose they'll proceed with that now.

There's still plenty of inventory in Durham NC. Still, I hoped there was a way to get the home without having to go through the incompetent agent. So CD'ers...is it possible to proceed without the seller's agent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 11:25 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
If a seller has a signed employment agreement with a broker / agent, no, a buyer cannot "cut out" the sellers agent.

If there was a problem such as you describe, then a complaint to your states regulatory agency may be appropriate

Old 03-22-2008, 11:43 AM

That's what I suspected; I'd just hoped there was an exception to those contracts for failure to fulfill fiduciary duty, or perform properly, or something.

Yes, he will be reported to the NC Real Estate Commission which licenses and regulates real estate agents in the state.

Oh well, on with the house hunt!

Old 03-22-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callsnap View Post
That's what I suspected; I'd just hoped there was an exception to those contracts for failure to fulfill fiduciary duty, or perform properly, or something.
I doubt the sellers agent owes you any fiduciary duty. If there was a breach of that duty - it would be up to the seller to make such a claim.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:56 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
Can't your lawyer answer the question if you still own commsision when the agent did somethign illegal? Sounds to me that illegal things shouldn't be rewarded and IMO you should try to get a legal answer so you might be able to have the deal done.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Can't your lawyer answer the question if you still own commsision when the agent did somethign illegal? Sounds to me that illegal things shouldn't be rewarded and IMO you should try to get a legal answer so you might be able to have the deal done.
You, the buyer, have no right to interfere with an employment contract nor, do you have the right to determine compensation to the sellers agent.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:04 PM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
The seller would have to be aware of the fraud and choose to terminate the agency relationship. The contract is with them. That agent will have their license quickly revoked for signing the docs for their client.

If the agent is not the principal broker, I would ask the principal broker to assign a different real estate agent to handle the listing. The listing belongs to the PB and not the agent so they can do that.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:22 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,970,243 times
Many builder's agents operate this way. The agent may not even be a Realtor. If you want the house buy the house. Don't let something like this get in your way.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I doubt the sellers agent owes you any fiduciary duty. If there was a breach of that duty - it would be up to the seller to make such a claim.
When referring to fiduciary duty, I meant that of the seller's agent due the seller. Once breached, I'd assume that's grounds to terminate the contract (a.k.a. cut out the seller’s agent). Enter me, my full price offer, and a brand new competent seller's agent. No idea if that's feasible or how much time it'd take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The seller would have to be aware of the fraud and choose to terminate the agency relationship. The contract is with them. That agent will have their license quickly revoked for signing the docs for their client.

If the agent is not the principal broker, I would ask the principal broker to assign a different real estate agent to handle the listing. The listing belongs to the PB and not the agent so they can do that.
I've no idea whether the seller is aware of the agent's acts. I'm not sure whether it's appropriate to communicate directly with the seller? We'll certainly contact the Real Estate Commission. I will inquire about the principal broker.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:17 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,144,881 times
So your dealing directly with a builders in house staff? Or an agent of in individual seller?

Builder sales reps and builders always try to lock you into contracts that are heavily favored on their side. I'd be surprised if this agent is just an agent of an individual, not so surprised if your dealing with a builder. This is why I always recommend using an agent when dealing with builders, and also kudo's for getting an attorney involved after smelling something fishy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate