U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2018, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 279 times

Advertisements

I was the first to move into a new subdivision without street lights, trash pickup etc. When should i start paying HoA fees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 01:33 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,586,306 times
What does your CC&R say? What does your developer say?

I know when my parents moved into their home back in 2003 they were the third family to move there. The remainder of the homes were in different stages of construction. At the time they were not required to pay because the developer was handling everything. When a certain percentage of the development was completed they then were required to pay.

Not all developments will be the same. I don't know if any of us can answer that question for you.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:49 PM

7,077 posts, read 16,898,623 times
When you closed, was a certain amount of HOA dues collected at closing? Look at your closing statement. You start paying when your closing statement left off. Maybe they paid the year. Maybe they paid the quarter or the month. Only you know that.

If you don't hear from the HOA, that's no excuse not to pay the dues. Contact them to ensure they have your information, siting you have not heard from them for any recent invoice. Don't get behind as they are probably adding interest if you have back amounts. It's always your responsibility to check when you aren't hearing things.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:58 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,002,985 times
The notification of standard HOA fees should have been part of your closing documentation and were likely included in your closing. They are typically due upon ownership, but, may only be collected on a quarterly or even annual basis (particularly if the dues are below $500 per year).

In a new development or condo, the developer typically manages the HOA (and may pay most of the dues) until a percentage of the units are sold (often 50-percent). Then the Owners HOA takes over (and often raises the dues to cover longer-term fees the developer was not setting aside.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:28 PM

2,393 posts, read 4,862,876 times
For a new development, the HOA will be run by the developer. I would contact them in the (unlikely) event that you do not receive notices.

ASK. If fees are due and there IS an inadvertent error, at best you will need to do some pleading to have any late fees reversed. At worst you will owe fees plus penalties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or