U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 08:05 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
One concern of selling through a realtor is our house has gotten water in heavy rains. Yes, I would disclose that. However, there are a few brick walls in corners of the basement with black mold, which we don't touch and have never gotten ill from. I heard it can cost thousands of dollars for mold removal and don't want to put that much money into this old house. That's another reason I thought the Ugly House people would take it off my hands, no questions asked.

I appreciate all the feedback.
Bleach costs about $2 per jug and a one gallon sprayer costs about $10. Look here for mix ratio http://removemoldguide.com/do-it-you...t-rid-of-mold/
BINGO! Mold gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 08:26 AM

845 posts, read 1,647,267 times
Quote:
nobody wants to believe that they have an ugly house. Many sellers take negative feedback on their houses personally
Yes they do. I believe some people feel guilt for not being able to maintain their homes to what they think is an acceptable standard, so they don't assess the home's value correctly. These buyer's are preying on home owners' low self/home esteem.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:28 AM

506 posts, read 222,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Bleach costs about $2 per jug and a one gallon sprayer costs about $10. Look here for mix ratio http://removemoldguide.com/do-it-you...t-rid-of-mold/
BINGO! Mold gone.
I did hear of the bleach method...but will that work on a rough brick surface? And won't all the paint come off from scrubbing?

Old 02-01-2018, 08:39 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times
Quote:
I did hear of the bleach method...but will that work on a rough brick surface? And won't all the paint come off from scrubbing?
Read the link as all the instructions are there. Spraying and maybe wiping is about all that's required from my experience.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:57 AM

6,818 posts, read 4,410,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
In this time of extremely low inventory I would not see any benefit of using one of these companies. I have people contacting me all the time looking for rehab or fixer upper properties for investment. You are bound to do better just listing it as is.
What about situations where a house is old, was built prior to (or in violation of) applicable codes, and now has such extensive structural deficiencies, that a proper repair would be more expensive, than the nominal value of the house (it would involve, for example, excavating around the basement walls, jacking up the house, demolishing the basement walls, digging out the footers, pouring new footers and walls, and then re-setting the house on the new walls)? This can happen in slow and moribund markets, where there is plenty of inventory, and houses havenít really appreciated in 20 years.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
What about situations where a house is old, was built prior to (or in violation of) applicable codes, and now has such extensive structural deficiencies, that a proper repair would be more expensive, than the nominal value of the house (it would involve, for example, excavating around the basement walls, jacking up the house, demolishing the basement walls, digging out the footers, pouring new footers and walls, and then re-setting the house on the new walls)? This can happen in slow and moribund markets, where there is plenty of inventory, and houses havenít really appreciated in 20 years.
That's probably what I need, but I want to move so I don't have to put money into all that.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:40 AM

4,781 posts, read 1,544,109 times
Quote:
Thank you. After disclosing the problems of the house to a realtor, they may require me to have possible "violations" fixed...plus I'd owe them a percentage of the selling price. That's why I thought it would be quicker and easier to sell to "Ugly Houses" because they know it's "as is".
Why not just ask them to come out and make an offer? Then you'll know.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Why not just ask them to come out and make an offer? Then you'll know.
I guess I could, but closer to the time I'd actually be moving which would be in the fall. I'm just in the very preliminary stages because it would take months to downsize and figure out all the logistics.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:17 AM

10,265 posts, read 6,495,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
What about situations where a house is old, was built prior to (or in violation of) applicable codes, and now has such extensive structural deficiencies, that a proper repair would be more expensive, than the nominal value of the house (it would involve, for example, excavating around the basement walls, jacking up the house, demolishing the basement walls, digging out the footers, pouring new footers and walls, and then re-setting the house on the new walls)? This can happen in slow and moribund markets, where there is plenty of inventory, and houses haven’t really appreciated in 20 years.
Prior to code should not be a problem. Usually a property is grandfathered in. New code may say that you need to have hard wired smoke detectors but for an existing property you would just need the removable ones. Also some homes are sold with asbestos siding which is fine and does not need to be removed as long as it's not cut into or removed or disturbed. Also homes are sold all the time without proper egress windows which open out instead of up or down or side to side, and some bedrooms ony have one window with an AC in them and that blocks egress if there is a fire.

If something is illegal such as an addition that was not permitted that's a different issue that can cause a problem, or an attic or basement apartment without proper egress in case of an emergency.

Also older homes may have bedrooms that are smaller or more narrow at some point that the current code or not have a closet but still be considered bedrooms.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:17 AM

128 posts, read 50,237 times
That business is strange, in that millions of Americans work hard to earn around $40k gross in a year, and then leave $40k on the table in order to save a few dozen hours of 'hassle.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or