U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2018, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,031 posts, read 54,315,552 times
Reputation: 29530

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
And if your land is worth even fifty cents PSF, I would be surprised. And again, on a rectangle, you can come within one or two percent. Human paces are more accurate than liars or idiots, or lying idiots.
I believe my lot is worth about $140,000. About $9.00/SF. If I remove the house.

If you ever meet an agent who paces off a lot for computing area sizing, and advertises that measure, you very likely HAVE met an idiot.
One of the greatest opportunities for error, other than buying and selling without a survey, is to try to guess the area of property with multiple arcs/radii forming front and back of a rectangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2018, 08:20 AM
 
1,357 posts, read 757,386 times
Reputation: 1002
As I stated four time, it is a rectangular lot in a city with houses on both sides. And if your lot was listed at 5.5 and didn't look it, pacing a side or two would be an option. And it is much easier to get an outline of the plat map, than the dimensions. But a bare eye can see that a lot is clearly not 5 times the width deep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,031 posts, read 54,315,552 times
Reputation: 29530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
As I stated four time, it is a rectangular lot in a city with houses on both sides. And if your lot was listed at 5.5 and didn't look it, pacing a side or two would be an option. And it is much easier to get an outline of the plat map, than the dimensions. But a bare eye can see that a lot is clearly not 5 times the width deep.
OK.
For your singular experience, on one property, you may be wise to pace it off.

I misunderstood, and read your post as a recommendation that other people, including real estate licensees should use this site.
Of course, they probably should avoid it, but if it works for you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 08:34 AM
 
1,357 posts, read 757,386 times
Reputation: 1002
Seeing as how so many agents couldn't pass Algebra I, I would suggest it as a tool to anyone buying a small lot just to make sure the ad isn't literally off the map. I can come within 2% from 8500 miles away; they overstated by 1/3 and lived in that exact community for 100 years between them. Up to you.

But, after reading the comments from the Realtor lackeys, I have decided to resubmit my offer, and lower it 1000, with my explanation. If they refuse to submit, I will send a letter directly to the trustee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Kalamalka Lake, B.C.
2,832 posts, read 3,663,142 times
Reputation: 3592
Just dealt with a friends neighbour that insisted for two years that my friends flower border was encroaching on their property. Big issue for them. Got a buddy with a borrowed pin reader and found the pins well inside their property line. They were choked.

This place had sold several times and the Realtors knew nothing. You have to check this out to your, and the city by-law guys. satisfaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 12:03 PM
 
1,357 posts, read 757,386 times
Reputation: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Just dealt with a friends neighbour that insisted for two years that my friends flower border was encroaching on their property. Big issue for them. Got a buddy with a borrowed pin reader and found the pins well inside their property line. They were choked.

This place had sold several times and the Realtors knew nothing. You have to check this out to your, and the city by-law guys. satisfaction.
Never assume...and I recall my brother telling me when he bought his hunting land, that it was surprising how many idiots were told politely that he was the new owner, and he still got comments like Mr. So and so told them they could hunt there. No boys, property rights are one of the most important things on the planet. I just saw some group pay 600,000,000 for 9.92 acres...in central Bangkok. You probably could have got it for 400 bucks in the late 40s. Now 1400 per square foot.

Last edited by Hal Roach; 02-01-2018 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
1,111 posts, read 418,364 times
Reputation: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I am annoyed with Realtors that don't double check data they put on MLS. Some claim it automatically comes from Assessor...but still. Lot size is commonly not accurate.
If you are in doubt about lot size, buy one of these and do your own measuring:


https://www.homedepot.com/s/measuring%20wheel?NCNI-5


House dimensions are often inaccurate, too.


I have one of the small wheeled measurers.


I can measure the lot and the house in 30 minutes and walk away with a diagram of all the room dimensions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
15,328 posts, read 25,198,181 times
Reputation: 19502
When we bought our home it was listed as a 4,800 square foot lot. What was interesting is that the other homes on the street are 6,000 square foot lots. Why was our lot only 4,800 square feet?

We bought it thinking that this was all true. The home was exactly what we wanted. We love our home.

Turns out that we have a 60' X 100' lot. That makes it 1,200 square feet larger than what we were told. Eventually I had the property tax statement and found that we have two lots. One is 4,800 square feet and the other is 1,200 square feet. I asked about this and found out why.

Both of the houses to our right are in a commercial zone, although it is all residential. The houses to the left of us are all in a residential zone. Our property is the buffer zone between the two. Look at our home online and it will have the 4,800 square foot lot listed. You have to drive three blocks north till you can find a retail location. You have to drive 6 blocks south to find a strip mall. Everything in between in residential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
1,111 posts, read 418,364 times
Reputation: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
When we bought our home it was listed as a 4,800 square foot lot. What was interesting is that the other homes on the street are 6,000 square foot lots. Why was our lot only 4,800 square feet?

We bought it thinking that this was all true. The home was exactly what we wanted. We love our home.

Turns out that we have a 60' X 100' lot. That makes it 1,200 square feet larger than what we were told. Eventually I had the property tax statement and found that we have two lots. One is 4,800 square feet and the other is 1,200 square feet. I asked about this and found out why.

Both of the houses to our right are in a commercial zone, although it is all residential. The houses to the left of us are all in a residential zone. Our property is the buffer zone between the two. Look at our home online and it will have the 4,800 square foot lot listed. You have to drive three blocks north till you can find a retail location. You have to drive 6 blocks south to find a strip mall. Everything in between in residential.
DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!


Better check the "legal description" on your deed and make sure that the "legal description" covers both lots.


I had a similar situation with my first house. It straddled two lots at one address. The deed showed the right address but the "legal description" showed only one lot. The title insurance company had to go back to the sellers and get a corrected deed signed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 01:31 PM
 
2,595 posts, read 4,004,657 times
Reputation: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I am annoyed with Realtors that don't double check data they put on MLS. Some claim it automatically comes from Assessor...but still. Lot size is commonly not accurate. One county I am looking in doesn't have the data online..and even if they did.....I found this easy to use, free site, no registration BS, set the stakes and it will calculate distance or area. You just enter the address, and it brings up a satellite map, which you zoom into. First one I checked...listing said .31 acres, I asked for verification..told yes, 13,000 sf. Yes, that is the correct conversion, but it is a city lot. So I go to www.findlotsize.com. umm..8630 sf...almost exactly 1/3 less. So there is a mystery of half a lot. I see no reason for stuff like this to be worked out, after the contract is signed. Give it a try. Every Realtor should see some homes, where the lot is worth more than 100% of the lot with the house on it. Saw someone play 140,000,000 for three acres last year. That would be 4.7 million for the tenth acre this lot is missing. Location,location,square footage....
You can do this via google maps as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top