Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 09:58 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times

Advertisements

Interesting tool. It couldn't find my address, but I was able to drag the icon to my lot (even then it showed the wrong city, just like Google does. I wonder where they get their pictures...). I had to kind of guess at where the stakes would be, so it's not an accurate measuring tool.

How are you determining the stakes on your lot? Fences or power poles? They could be entirely on your property instead of on the property line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 12:20 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
How do you propose they "double check" the lot size ? They have to rely on county/city records, from the owner and/or from a prior survey. This is the very reason I always recommended buyers to pay for a survey from a licensed surveyor in their own name. The realtor shouldn't be expected to pay for a survey on every property they list.
They could use the tool I found with google in less than one minute, and mentioned in my OP.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
so in other words, you weren't just playing around on the internet - you're under contract? And you didn't rely on internet measurements, you've obtained a survey?

... 1/3 vs 1/4 wouldn't be discerned. 1/3 vs 1/6 probably should?
They say .31, my site says .20....so the difference falls in between your two examples, but is closer to the first.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:58 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
They could use the tool I found with google in less than one minute, and mentioned in my OP.
Yes, that's a nice little tool to get rough approximations, but no one should rely on it for measurements, agents included. We have a similar function on our County GIS web site but I never use it to determine lot sizes. I'll either confirm the lot size through the legal description or, if platted, may check out the plat maps.

Since it doesn't sound like you got a survey, how did you determine the actual lot size?

Old 02-01-2018, 06:41 AM

I am far away. But first, I thought .31 was large for a city lot of 100 year old homes. Then looked at the photos. Then compared the size of the house, at 1053 sf, to the size of the lot. That is when I asked her to verify. She said, yes .31..13,000 sf.. I would expect any Realtor to be able to do a visual on a flat rectangular lot, with houses on both sides, to know the difference between 8600 and 13000. With only a driveway wide space on each side? Can safely assume fifty feet wide, and close to 16-17 steps across the front. So from 8500 miles away, I can seee it doesn't pass the sanity test. So the house is owned by a revocable trust, likely heirs, I low balled by 17,500. they came back 12,500 under list. 5000 apart. Now I discover 4500 feet missing from the lot. She sent me a tax sheet from the county. Square footage is blank on lot size..

Old 02-01-2018, 07:01 AM

Continued...
Under LEGAL DECRIPTION:
Plat Book/Page. BLANK
Tax Area. 2710
Block/Lot. 46/35
Description. Clawson lots 35,36 Block 46 5-04 Lv Map Book

************"""

So here is a part that may be confusing...they are saying it is lot 35...but the description says 35,36 but is that just because that is reference to the location of the survey for both lots? But only one goes with this house.

But the plat map on this property record is clearly one Lot, which I measured with the software to be .20 acres...and while not precise, it is a helluva lot more precise than .31.

Now I would like to have her resubmit the same offer, but no one at their end (seller/listing agent) has yet to acknowledge their error. And that is the main reason my offer isn't changing. So they are playing dumb. Yes, here is the county data....but no mention of sf.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I am far away. But first, I thought .31 was large for a city lot of 100 year old homes. Then looked at the photos. Then compared the size of the house, at 1053 sf, to the size of the lot. That is when I asked her to verify. She said, yes .31..13,000 sf.. I would expect any Realtor to be able to do a visual on a flat rectangular lot, with houses on both sides, to know the difference between 8600 and 13000. With only a driveway wide space on each side? Can safely assume fifty feet wide, and close to 16-17 steps across the front. So from 8500 miles away, I can seee it doesn't pass the sanity test. So the house is owned by a revocable trust, likely heirs, I low balled by 17,500. they came back 12,500 under list. 5000 apart. Now I discover 4500 feet missing from the lot. She sent me a tax sheet from the county. Square footage is blank on lot size..
So, you're trying to buy the house sight-unseen, eh? That's not something I recommend but I know people do it on occasion. You should at least get the size confirmed before making another offer. That's where a Buyer's agent could have/should have helped. But, on request, a listing agent should be able to do that, too, if the Seller doesn't have that info on hand. You could also condition your offer on the results of a new survey.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Continued...
Under LEGAL DECRIPTION:
Plat Book/Page. BLANK
Tax Area. 2710
Block/Lot. 46/35
Description. Clawson lots 35,36 Block 46 5-04 Lv Map Book

************"""

So here is a part that may be confusing...they are saying it is lot 35...but the description says 35,36 but is that just because that is reference to the location of the survey for both lots? But only one goes with this house.

But the plat map on this property record is clearly one Lot, which I measured with the software to be .20 acres...and while not precise, it is a helluva lot more precise than .31.

Now I would like to have her resubmit the same offer, but no one at their end (seller/listing agent) has yet to acknowledge their error. And that is the main reason my offer isn't changing. So they are playing dumb. Yes, here is the county data....but no mention of sf.
Well, it obviously needs to be clarified whether the house is being sold with one lot or two lots. Descriptions like that are typical for platted subdivisions. They usually don't indicate the lot dimensions. For that, if other reliable information isn't available, someone would need to take a look at the plat map which should include the dimensions for each surveyed lot. (An Abstract of Title might include that info, but not many people have those lying around anymore.)

Old 02-01-2018, 07:33 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
That link is fun, but definitely not reliable.

I pulled my house, and got an aerial map that required me to set the corners.
On a wooded lot.

No chance I would use that tool to measure lot size, vs. county records, as I currently see it.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
That link is fun, but definitely not reliable.

I pulled my house, and got an aerial map that required me to set the corners.
On a wooded lot.

No chance I would use that tool to measure lot size, vs. county records, as I currently see it.
And if your land is worth even fifty cents PSF, I would be surprised. And again, on a rectangle, you can come within one or two percent. Human paces are more accurate than liars or idiots, or lying idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate