U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 02:07 PM

1,497 posts, read 832,629 times

Advertisements

I am annoyed with Realtors that don't double check data they put on MLS. Some claim it automatically comes from Assessor...but still. Lot size is commonly not accurate. One county I am looking in doesn't have the data online..and even if they did.....I found this easy to use, free site, no registration BS, set the stakes and it will calculate distance or area. You just enter the address, and it brings up a satellite map, which you zoom into. First one I checked...listing said .31 acres, I asked for verification..told yes, 13,000 sf. Yes, that is the correct conversion, but it is a city lot. So I go to www.findlotsize.com. umm..8630 sf...almost exactly 1/3 less. So there is a mystery of half a lot. I see no reason for stuff like this to be worked out, after the contract is signed. Give it a try. Every Realtor should see some homes, where the lot is worth more than 100% of the lot with the house on it. Saw someone play 140,000,000 for three acres last year. That would be 4.7 million for the tenth acre this lot is missing. Location,location,square footage....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 02:13 PM

3,117 posts, read 5,731,498 times
Typically, Realtors rely on the county/city records exclusively for data entry in the MLS as they are rarely qualified as surveyors and have to rely on such information from those sources. Mistakes happen, but that information is typically confirmed by the title agency prior to closing.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Typically, Realtors rely on the county/city records exclusively for data entry in the MLS as they are rarely qualified as surveyors and have to rely on such information from those sources. Mistakes happen, but that information is typically confirmed by the title agency prior to closing.
But, wouldn't you expect a person, who may have lived for decades within a mile of the house to know? And rectangular city lots, with house barely 20 feet apart? And, when asked to verify, just regurgitated the same slop? People make mistakes, but when obvious stuff is brought to their attention, it is a good chance to show professionalism.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:23 PM

As I stated, Realtors are rarely qualified a surveyors.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:37 PM

And the post didn't ask if they were, or should be. It just pointed out that they frequently overlook and fail to double check major material facts. So three days before closing, they tell you your lot is missing 4500 sf? Wouldn't it be better business for both parties to know the lot size before dealing? I may counter their counter, with a lower offer..Oh, and I will keep you posted on how many days,weeks it takes this listing agent to correct her listing.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:11 PM

7,675 posts, read 6,074,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
And the post didn't ask if they were, or should be. It just pointed out that they frequently overlook and fail to double check major material facts. So three days before closing, they tell you your lot is missing 4500 sf? Wouldn't it be better business for both parties to know the lot size before dealing? I may counter their counter, with a lower offer..Oh, and I will keep you posted on how many days,weeks it takes this listing agent to correct her listing.
so in other words, you weren't just playing around on the internet - you're under contract? And you didn't rely on internet measurements, you've obtained a survey?

A lot that is 1/2 the represented size is material fact, and would have to be disclosed. Certainly, it's material misrepresentation - though not negligent on the agent's behalf - since lot size matters. Although presumably, if you're under contract, you made a physical visit to the site and didn't question the measurement prior to submitting your offer?

I would say that lot size is akin to house size. We should know whether the actual square footage is 1/2 what's reported, and on a smaller lot as you describe - maybe narrow and fenced off ... 1/3 vs 1/4 wouldn't be discerned. 1/3 vs 1/6 probably should.

Where's your agent in all this?

Old 01-31-2018, 04:15 PM

7,675 posts, read 6,074,724 times
that's a neat tool though - I've bookmarked it. I would suggest going to map view,w here it ostensibly shows the plat versus the satellite view.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:16 PM

How do you propose they "double check" the lot size ? They have to rely on county/city records, from the owner and/or from a prior survey. This is the very reason I always recommended buyers to pay for a survey from a licensed surveyor in their own name. The realtor shouldn't be expected to pay for a survey on every property they list.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:34 PM

359 posts, read 201,806 times
MLS pulls from county records county records come from the plat and survey done by a licensed surveyor. Can a survey and therefore county record and MLS be wrong? Yes. Is a real estate agent or broker qualified to make that call and override it? Nope. This is why people have an agreed on survey for closing, it confirms what the deal is as much as price does.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:50 PM

3,156 posts, read 1,834,311 times
I hate when a city lot is listed as acres. It's clearly not but it clutters my searching. Simple proof reading of the date prior to hitting the submit button would be nice.

Thanks for that link BTW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or