U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:09 PM

1,974 posts, read 812,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
If you feel 'ridiculous' negotiating except when you use the strategy of giving it all away on the first offer, then perhaps you're in the wrong line of work. An agent should be able to successfully use a variety of strategies depending on the situation.

You say that a buyer rejecting an offer that is actually within his acceptable price range (hoping to get more money out of the buyer) sometimes can work in the seller's favor. So why would you not think that making offers lower than your highest and best sometimes would work in the buyer's favor. Odd logic.
Buyers and sellers both have a lot at stake and obviously market conditions dictate the balance of power.

Everyone seems to be operating under the assumption that a buyer losing a house is always a disaster. It might be for some buyers but certainly not for all. Perhaps from an agent's perspective it is very undesirable because it delays commission payment and creates more work. But many buyers can live with losing a house, especially if they are aiming to get the best deal possible. While I'm not always aiming to get the best deal possible, I've lost loads of houses over the years. Some you look back on thinking "what if I..." but most...well...life goes on. You find something else. Often it's better.
Well ya, at this point you've convinced me you just know it all. Prattle on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:18 PM

1,974 posts, read 812,762 times
Quote:
Well maybe I misunderstood. It's not really a clear post. She said that for herself, she feels 'ridiculous' and when her clients do it (it's not really clear what 'it' is - offering more than their highest and best? going in with an offer less than h &b and then raising up to h&b) - they 'criticize' this.

Doesn't sound like openness and comfort with strategies other than just going in with H&B with first offer.
No, Please read again. I said I feel ridiculous doing it myself when I am the buyer, so I don't. I buy as an investor myself. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't and it isn't a big deal.

Representing someone else is a different matter. I look at the counter carefully. Again, multiple counter and highest and best can be two different things. If it doesn't specifically say that there are other offers there may not be. All you can really do as an agent is explain things and let the client make their own choice.

So now, go ahead, with all your experience and knowledge and explain to me how I'm wrong.

Old Today, 08:44 PM

6,072 posts, read 4,989,600 times
Quote:
It's no surprise that many agents will favor going in with your highest and best offer as your first move. Why?

Sometimes going in with your highest and best is a good strategy but if an agent says that it's always the best strategy, consumers should consider the incentives above and think about the mix of motivations involved.
this is the germane paragraphs of your post. you said "many agents" - that's multiple. Mike further did not say it was "always the best strategy".

When you make the big deal out of words that YOU do, you don't then get to pick and choose when they do matter and when they don't.

In this one post, neither were there multiple agents saying so, nor did any agent say it was always the best strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate