U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:19 PM

10,040 posts, read 12,243,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
This is between the owner and the kid. Why meddle?

In any case, replacing a single tile should be pretty easy, assuming you got spare ones.
Who's MEDDLING?

She's asking a question for potentially listing HER OWN HOUSE.

It's not HER tiles, the question is not about TILES and she doesn't care about the tiles.

Quote:
We are prepping our home for sale this spring so I have been going to a few open houses to see what the interest is in our price range in the neighbourhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 07:52 PM

3,314 posts, read 1,663,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I think in this case it should be the owner. Why put ceramic tile where a doorknob will hit it over and over again. It was just a matter of time.
What an absurd conclusion from a real estate agent.

The listing agent needs to file a claim on her/his business insurance, in my opinion.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:58 PM

2,184 posts, read 726,552 times
I watch a lot of HGTV realty shows, and am shocked at how potential buyers act when looking at houses. Jumping on the bed, putting your SHOES on the comforter, snooping through drawer contents!?!?

I was annoyed last time we sold a house when a looker used the bathroom, left water all over the counter, and dumped the hand towel on the floor. I couldn't believe their agent (who was with them) let them do that. And they didn't even make an offer on the house!

Old 02-02-2018, 10:01 PM

27 posts, read 7,518 times
The people that bought a house that I sold several years ago used the upstairs toilet without flushing it all three times that they looked at the house--including on the final walk-through. Prior to their offer, after other showings, I'd found dirty footprints in both the tub and shower, covers pulled back on our bed and drawers to furniture (not cabinets or closets) hanging open. This was in a high-end neighborhood, too. It seems that money buys neither class nor manners.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:27 PM

551 posts, read 981,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Who's MEDDLING?

It's not HER tiles, the question is not about TILES and she doesn't care about the tiles.
She explained why she was at an open house, not why she was asking.

If the kid's at fault, it's only useful to know that if you can bill him, that is if you know him.

The answer to who's at fault is useless for some hypothetical future open house, because you won't even know who will have done the damage.

The only reasonable reading of the original post was that they were all neighbors, looky-looing at an open house. The OP admitted doing it herself, but left her relationship to the kid unspecified.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:37 PM

551 posts, read 981,761 times
... I wonder why everyone's assuming the OP is female. I've heard that in some countries misgendering is now a crime.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:29 PM

4,861 posts, read 5,546,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
Sure blame the victim.
No, it is common sense. A door will almost inevitably get pushed back hard at some time.....better to plan ahead, I say. Put a door stop on it.

Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM

21,566 posts, read 41,958,708 times
Quote:
I think in this case it should be the owner. Why put ceramic tile where a doorknob will hit it over and over again. It was just a matter of time.
Yes--where was the door stopper???
If the house was flipped and no one was living there, that might be easy to overlook after remodeling

We had work done after toilet overflowed (clean water thankfully) and had to have flooring replace and some baseboards---that meant some of the door stoppers came up---that is the sort of thing you might forget to replace...

But if I were the home owner and two agents where in my house during an open house and there was damage, then I would expect the agents to take the cost of repair on their shoulders...

Old Yesterday, 06:42 AM

992 posts, read 379,380 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if you go to sell your home, and you choose to NOT have any open houses as you believe that they will not have a net positive impact on selling your home - then tell the agent(s) that you interview that you do NOT want any Open Houses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
but if you're just dying to know the answer - whose property is it? And when the property gets damaged, whose responsibility is that?

Otherwise,an individual would have to identify the offending child, take them to civil court, and gain judgement in your favor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Who's MEDDLING?

Yes runswithscissors. It's shocking that some industry professionals on this board could not understand the OP's clear and simple post and jumping to how to tell your agent you don't want any open houses and decorating advice about tiles behind doors. I mean seriously. And "dying to know the answer..." that's just bizarre and insulting, like the OP's concern was so odd. The OP is just like any consumer that walks into your office.

I don't think this is such as strange question or concern and you'd think people posting as industry professionals would be able to immediately relate to the concern of the OP without diving into the weeks of tile and doorstops.

Many here accuse me of denigrating agents so why don't they speak up more when other agents give poor advice or otherwise create a poor perception of agents? That's far more damaging to consumer perceptions than I could ever be by just correcting misinformation in good faith.

You always get a lot of rubbish just thrown around on any forum but it's shocking what some professionals posting in their professional capacity come up with here. Presumably professionals come here to help people and at the same time, build their reputations with consumers. So if you continually demonstrate your inability to help consumers or an unhelpful tone, why bother to post here?

I'm not commenting on agents' competence in their capacity as real estate agents but rather just commenting on the perceptions created by posts like these.

Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM

1,517 posts, read 586,887 times
The one thing I personally will not do is take off my shoes when seeing someone's house for sale.

I will not wear those booties due to slip hazards and I will not walk around in an unfamiliar house without shoes. I always wear flat, rubber-soled shoes when seeing houses (It's not like I am stomping around in stilettos or dirty work boots!)

Anyway, I have left houses where sellers demanded that and guess what...the realtor has always said, oh don't worry about it, and let me walk around anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate