U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

994 posts, read 379,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
The one thing I personally will not do is take off my shoes when seeing someone's house for sale.

I will not wear those booties due to slip hazards and I will not walk around in an unfamiliar house without shoes. I always wear flat, rubber-soled shoes when seeing houses (It's not like I am stomping around in stilettos or dirty work boots!)

Anyway, I have left houses where sellers demanded that and guess what...the realtor has always said, oh don't worry about it, and let me walk around anyway
I have no problem with this personally. It's not my house if the agent requests shoes off, I assume that it was the request of the homeowner who doesn't want their carpet dirtied up just when they need it to look its best. And in many cultures, there is a deeply rooted practice that shoes aren't to be worn in your home.

If I had a problem with the booties or wearing my own socks around the home, I would bring my own slippers to viewings. Otherwise, it's just rude not to respect this wish and to put the agent in the position where he/she has to go against the instructions of the homeowner or turn away a potential buyer.

Would you respect the agent more for allowing you to wear your street shoes around the house or for respecting the explicit instructions of their client? Strictly speaking this is a violation of the realtor code of ethics as they are not carrying out the instructions of their client which presumably they've agreed to carry out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

8,065 posts, read 2,122,308 times
Quote:
The one thing I personally will not do is take off my shoes when seeing someone's house for sale.

I will not wear those booties due to slip hazards and I will not walk around in an unfamiliar house without shoes. I always wear flat, rubber-soled shoes when seeing houses (It's not like I am stomping around in stilettos or dirty work boots!)

Anyway, I have left houses where sellers demanded that and guess what...the realtor has always said, oh don't worry about it, and let me walk around anyway
I’m sorry, but that’s just ignorant and rude! It’s not your house, it’s someones else’s home. If you can’t respect their wishes to not not wear shoes in their home than you have no right being there. You have to respect others property! I understand not wearing booties for slip reasons and not going barefoot, but than you need to bring extra socks to walk in, NOT ANOTHER PAIR OF SHOES!!

As far as people going on homeowners beds, going through drawers, having kids play with your kids toys, etc. I would bring it to the realtors attention who brought them there and call them out on it! Some people have no respect for others property.?Irs like they forget it’s someone’s house!!

Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

2,039 posts, read 1,047,745 times
I don't like having to take off shoes either... but slip hazards with booties? Really?

Speaking of unexpected hazards... Not everyone is capable of standing or hopping around while putting booties or shoes on. That has been an issue. If shoes off/booties on is requested, I think it is a courtesy to at least have someplace to sit available.

I have had it happen where someone refused. It is rude and puts the agent in a tough spot. Like a pilot who is tasked with telling everyone to put on their seat belt, are we required to not take off until everyone complies?

In summer, on well paved driveways where we haven't been on dirt all day, it's not such a big deal. In winter, at a farm property where we've been in the barn and out in the rain, snow and mud, it makes a much bigger difference.

Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

2,039 posts, read 1,047,745 times
RE going through drawers.... on personal furniture that is strictly not allowed... but in kitchens and baths... opening drawers and cabinets is perfectly OK and should be expected... not to rifle through things or snoop, but to look at the build quality and condition of the cabinets.

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

8,065 posts, read 2,122,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
RE going through drawers.... on personal furniture that is strictly not allowed... but in kitchens and baths... opening drawers and cabinets is perfectly OK and should be expected... not to rifle through things or snoop, but to look at the build quality and condition of the cabinets.
Totally agree!

Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

2,903 posts, read 1,205,102 times
You get all sorts of characters at an open house. They demand to know what you paid for it. They tell you how much work the house needs whether it needs work or not.

I won't do that again.

Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

24,431 posts, read 46,606,593 times
Let me give a couple of examples of where the Realtor's Insurance stepped in.

One was a fire that destroyed a million dollar California home in Silicon Valley a few years back... the Realtor had candles on the counters and forgot to extinguish before locking up... the owners had already relocated... all the insurance companies got involved as well as the owner hired an Independent Adjuster.

Another time was a child was injured on a ranch listing... the home was being privately shown...

Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM

3,316 posts, read 1,663,536 times
Quote:

If you won't either remove your shoes or wear non-slip booties (and you could buy a higher-end pair of reusable booties that would meet your high standards of safety, such as these that have non-slip soles https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Shop-A...+house+booties ), I suppose you aren't that interested in actually buying the house in the first place.

Since you seem to visit a lot of houses, I will ask: Do you feel entitled to visit open houses for your enjoyment and decorating ideas?

Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM

2,192 posts, read 726,552 times
It is routine to take your shoes off before entering a person's home here. Most people provide a bench or chair by the front door so people can sit to remove and replace their shoes.

That would be a good idea for any situation where you want people to take off their shoes.

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

1,518 posts, read 586,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I have no problem with this personally. It's not my house if the agent requests shoes off, I assume that it was the request of the homeowner who doesn't want their carpet dirtied up just when they need it to look its best. And in many cultures, there is a deeply rooted practice that shoes aren't to be worn in your home.

If I had a problem with the booties or wearing my own socks around the home, I would bring my own slippers to viewings. Otherwise, it's just rude not to respect this wish and to put the agent in the position where he/she has to go against the instructions of the homeowner or turn away a potential buyer.

Would you respect the agent more for allowing you to wear your street shoes around the house or for respecting the explicit instructions of their client? Strictly speaking this is a violation of the realtor code of ethics as they are not carrying out the instructions of their client which presumably they've agreed to carry out.
I agree, I would totally bring my own slippers. However, I wish that agents would have told me that! I do think this should be written on the listing.

It's always happened with my agent. Where I am, the listing agent isn't at the showings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate