U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2018, 06:18 PM
 
1,518 posts, read 588,748 times
Reputation: 2533

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I don't like having to take off shoes either... but slip hazards with booties? Really?

Speaking of unexpected hazards... Not everyone is capable of standing or hopping around while putting booties or shoes on. That has been an issue. If shoes off/booties on is requested, I think it is a courtesy to at least have someplace to sit available.

I have had it happen where someone refused. It is rude and puts the agent in a tough spot. Like a pilot who is tasked with telling everyone to put on their seat belt, are we required to not take off until everyone complies?

In summer, on well paved driveways where we haven't been on dirt all day, it's not such a big deal. In winter, at a farm property where we've been in the barn and out in the rain, snow and mud, it makes a much bigger difference.
Will not wear those paper booties. Nope.

That's a great point though....a proper seat should be provided to put on the booties if one chooses to do that

How is it rude for someone to decline to wear the booties? You don't know their reasons. It should be written on the listing and potential buyers should be given a heads up IMO

I don't think they should let people violate the wishes of the sellers either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2018, 06:20 PM
 
1,518 posts, read 588,748 times
Reputation: 2533
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
If you won't either remove your shoes or wear non-slip booties (and you could buy a higher-end pair of reusable booties that would meet your high standards of safety, such as these that have non-slip soles https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Shop-A...+house+booties ), I suppose you aren't that interested in actually buying the house in the first place.

Since you seem to visit a lot of houses, I will ask: Do you feel entitled to visit open houses for your enjoyment and decorating ideas?
Oh not at all, I have been very interested in those houses. The question is, are the sellers who request this that interested in selling?

These haven't been at open houses, only private showings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
2,047 posts, read 1,051,855 times
Reputation: 5794
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
How is it rude for someone to decline to wear the booties? You don't know their reasons. It should be written on the listing and potential buyers should be given a heads up IMO

Sometimes it is on the listing, at least in the agent remarks section. You don't know the reasons for the request. It is, therefore, rude to not comply... it is not your home.

It's February and it is raining here now and has been for the past several weeks. It's muddy out. That's enough reason, at some homes.

I can understand not wanting to take shoes off, but booties are not an imposition, or a risk. If they are a big deal for you, maybe bring some clean house slippers to put on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 07:23 PM
 
9,437 posts, read 3,278,884 times
Reputation: 10320
Sadly a lot of the kids of this generation are spoiled monsters. My parents would of snatched me up and a trip to the car would have resulted in an ass whipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 09:51 PM
 
1,135 posts, read 1,638,588 times
Reputation: 1887
Open houses can be an unpleasant experience. I checked out a few not too long ago with my wife and kid but we made sure he was with us the whole time and never ventured off on his own. But not everyone can contain their kid and unfortunately in the OP's case this is just something you have to deal with and address it so that it can't happen again.

What bothers me about an open house is that all sorts of undesirables enter your house. We were solicited by someone at an open house that wanted to sell their house a few blocks away. And I saw one where someone stepped in dog poo and brought it into the house all over the sellers floors. Yeah, sadly these are the kind of risks you have to take when having an open house. However if the house is priced right and in a desirable area an open house can get your property sold quick. I've been outbid several times when I first started looking.

The other option is to have private showings but that can be a real pain in the A$$ especially if you don't keep a clean house. Just a bit of advice if you do, always ask the agent for some time to straighten up if you go that route. I know several people and I have walked away from a house that was filthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
8,072 posts, read 2,129,049 times
Reputation: 8623
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I agree, I would totally bring my own slippers. However, I wish that agents would have told me that! I do think this should be written on the listing.

It's always happened with my agent. Where I am, the listing agent isn't at the showings.
I don’t think it needs to be put on the listing to request shoes be taken off. I would think that should be common sense! Do you wear your shoes in your own house? Not taking off your shoes to view a home is complete disrespect for the owner. I’m not saying go barefoot, but if you know you’re going to view homes then bring socks/slippers or wear the booties!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Tennessee at last!
1,680 posts, read 1,405,806 times
Reputation: 3227
I moved out of my last house before listing it, but had a load of things in a storage/tool room to pick up after the house sold. I had the carpets professionally cleaned for $800 and had the house professionally cleaned for $750. It was a 3300 square foot house.

I moved 2100 miles away.

Imagine my surprise when the house sold and I went back to take the last load out and do a few minor things the seller requested to find MUD all over the kitchen floor and bathroom and living room on the top floor of the house, at the street level. There is no mud source for that level of the house. And the buyer wanted to meet with me to go over how things worked in the house.

The house is freestanding on the side of a hill with the top floor being street level and the middle floor having an exit, mid mountain and the bottom floor at the level of the backyard with a creek running through it.

As I went down stairs there was more and more mud. At the bottom floor, right from the main doors to the backyard patio there were tons of little foot prints going through out the carpet and onto the tile floor bathroom, then less mud as they went upstairs. And the patio was covered in little mud prints.

There were mats at the door, but apparently they did not now how to use them, or did not care.

Anyway the house was covered in mud. And I was to meet the buyer in less than an hour.

Well, the buyer came...ALONG WITH HER SIX KIDS...who all went into the back yard to play in the creek, and mud.

So, during the walk through to explain how everything worked, she asked me if I could clean up the mud. NOPE I told her I thought it looked like that mess was from her kids, being it was a bunch of little foot prints all over, and I had the carpet and house cleaned to the cost of over $1500 prior to listing it.

The buyer did not object and her realtor just smiled

Some people are clueless!

But I did wonder why some of the comments from people who went through the house was that it was dirty! I thought maybe it was dust from sitting for a few months, never dawned on me it was MUD!

Who would visit a house and let their kids do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:01 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
29,328 posts, read 51,744,908 times
Reputation: 27556
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
...

Who would visit a house and let their kids do that?

Who?
People who live like that and think filth is a normal lifestyle.
And/or, people with no sense.
And/or, people with just one sense: entitlement.

This is testimony to the wisdom of selling a vacant house.
And also, and too often, never returning to a home one is attached to emotionally. These people will likely ruin the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM
 
57,307 posts, read 59,630,160 times
Reputation: 37082
when we were selling the house we had in the pocono's i got a temperature alert from my auto dialer .

it showed 35 degrees in the house .

luckily we had shut the house down this one winter and had all the pipes drained .

it seems what happened is a comedy of errors .

the plumber called us after draining the system and said he is finishing draining the tank and will be done , he will shut it down .

i am thinking the water heater , he is thinking heating system , so he killed the heat .

the next thing is the realtor showed the house and someone , maybe they had kids who went out on the deck ,and when they came in left the deck door wide open .

no one caught it until a neighbor checked on the house and saw the sliding deck door wide open and a pile of snow on the kitchen floor .he thought we were burglarized .


so we had the combo of the heat killed and the door left open going on at the same time .

the realtor totally missed someone went out on the deck and left it open .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
 
24,431 posts, read 46,621,244 times
Reputation: 17279
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I moved out of my last house before listing it, but had a load of things in a storage/tool room to pick up after the house sold. I had the carpets professionally cleaned for $800 and had the house professionally cleaned for $750. It was a 3300 square foot house.

I moved 2100 miles away.

Imagine my surprise when the house sold and I went back to take the last load out and do a few minor things the seller requested to find MUD all over the kitchen floor and bathroom and living room on the top floor of the house, at the street level. There is no mud source for that level of the house. And the buyer wanted to meet with me to go over how things worked in the house.

The house is freestanding on the side of a hill with the top floor being street level and the middle floor having an exit, mid mountain and the bottom floor at the level of the backyard with a creek running through it.

As I went down stairs there was more and more mud. At the bottom floor, right from the main doors to the backyard patio there were tons of little foot prints going through out the carpet and onto the tile floor bathroom, then less mud as they went upstairs. And the patio was covered in little mud prints.

There were mats at the door, but apparently they did not now how to use them, or did not care.

Anyway the house was covered in mud. And I was to meet the buyer in less than an hour.

Well, the buyer came...ALONG WITH HER SIX KIDS...who all went into the back yard to play in the creek, and mud.

So, during the walk through to explain how everything worked, she asked me if I could clean up the mud. NOPE I told her I thought it looked like that mess was from her kids, being it was a bunch of little foot prints all over, and I had the carpet and house cleaned to the cost of over $1500 prior to listing it.

The buyer did not object and her realtor just smiled

Some people are clueless!

But I did wonder why some of the comments from people who went through the house was that it was dirty! I thought maybe it was dust from sitting for a few months, never dawned on me it was MUD!

Who would visit a house and let their kids do that?
Never know what is important to the buyer... at least putting out shoe covers shows what is important to the seller...

The parents of my friends had very expensive Japanese screens made for their expansive windows... it was something her mom loved with the blossom pattern...

On day one all the screens went into the dumpster... made her Mom sick to her stomach... I'm thinking why as she had sold them with the home but of course the attachment was emotional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top