U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 04:14 PM

3,969 posts, read 2,032,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
A lot of agents will tell you an open house is important to sell the home.

But the reason agents like to hold open houses, is not to sell the home, but it is a place for them to meet potential buyers and take them on as a client, and to meet neighbors that are planning on selling their home soon, and are at the open house to get ideas that may help them in getting their home ready for sale. This is why they want to hold open houses. The odds of selling the home the open house is held at at the open house are extremely low. Open houses sure draw a lot of people from the neighborhood, who just want to take a peak into your private life. Often the only ones that go to that open house.
This is true. I like to attend Open Houses especially in my own neighborhood only to gauge the market and to talk to real estate agents. I would not, however, hold my own house open in order to sell it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 07:02 PM

2,670 posts, read 6,845,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
This is true. I like to attend Open Houses especially in my own neighborhood only to gauge the market and to talk to real estate agents. I would not, however, hold my own house open in order to sell it.
This has been quite an education for me!
We are listing our house this spring and I was interested to see how many people are looking in the neighbourhood. I am sure some were neighbours like me but many of them came with their agents and many came with multiple family members, several out of State license plates (Pa and NY).

This home was staged as the owners moved out so there was no personal stuff in the home, they had 2 agents on duty. They had also wisely made a play area for the kids in an empty bedroom (probably 8 or so kids there when I was there).

Do any agents limit the number of "lookers" in the house at a given time? Seems that might also help control a situation like this. Have you experienced this?

Old 02-07-2018, 08:23 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,010,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
This has been quite an education for me!
We are listing our house this spring and I was interested to see how many people are looking in the neighbourhood. I am sure some were neighbours like me but many of them came with their agents and many came with multiple family members, several out of State license plates (Pa and NY).

This home was staged as the owners moved out so there was no personal stuff in the home, they had 2 agents on duty. They had also wisely made a play area for the kids in an empty bedroom (probably 8 or so kids there when I was there).

Do any agents limit the number of "lookers" in the house at a given time? Seems that might also help control a situation like this. Have you experienced this?
I think people here don't understand what an open house is. It means the door isn't locked and it is open for people to look at. People are not going to stand outside and wait their turn, because it really isn't important enough to them to wait around. It is open. It also isn't something you need to do in order to sell your house. If sellers ask me about it I recommend they don't do it. It is mostly a benefit to the realtor who may find buyer clients that way. After this thread I am for sure never doing one again.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:55 AM

1,528 posts, read 671,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I think people here don't understand what an open house is. It means the door isn't locked and it is open for people to look at. People are not going to stand outside and wait their turn, because it really isn't important enough to them to wait around. It is open. It also isn't something you need to do in order to sell your house. If sellers ask me about it I recommend they don't do it. It is mostly a benefit to the realtor who may find buyer clients that way. After this thread I am for sure never doing one again.
i'm not saying whether that's a good idea or a bad idea generally but people interested in seeing the home and who've come out to it will wait 5 minutes or whatever. If it's not "important enough to them" (your words) then they're probably qualified out right there as a tire kicker. I don't know of any rule that says an open house must literally be open/unlocked. Further, if the turnout is huge for the open house, and you're made to wait outside simply because the home can't accommodate any more buyers, it could very well increase the interest. The more perceived interest and competition for the home, often the more people desire it. Marketing 101.

Again, not saying that this is a good idea or bad idea generally, just addressing your logic.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:30 PM

49 posts, read 20,993 times
$hit happens. Buyer fixes the problem and should install one of these
Attached Thumbnails
Damage during open house?-doorstop.jpg  

Old 02-25-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Just a quick update.

We listed the house with an agent we have known for years.

We had an open house today at her suggestion.
She had a co-worker with her at the house and assured us that she would take full control of the event.

We had 57 groups of people at this open (she estimated 160 people counting kids, grands, aunts etc.)

She locked the door (our home is small) when the number of folks became too much for the homes footage.

She said they waited patiently (in the rain).

We chose our agent wisely.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:30 AM

1,528 posts, read 671,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Just a quick update.

We listed the house with an agent we have known for years.

We had an open house today at her suggestion.
She had a co-worker with her at the house and assured us that she would take full control of the event.

We had 57 groups of people at this open (she estimated 160 people counting kids, grands, aunts etc.)

She locked the door (our home is small) when the number of folks became too much for the homes footage.

She said they waited patiently (in the rain).

We chose our agent wisely.
Sounds like your agent used her brain rather than following some non-existent rule that an open house means that the house must literally be 'open' regardless of the situation.

If I observed or heard about my agent allowing chaos to erupt in my house due to allowing far too many people in at once, i would not stand for the agent sitting there trying to explain herself:

<<<<I think people here don't understand what an open house is. It means the door isn't locked and it is open for people to look at.>>>>>

I'd fire her and get another agent very quickly. First for allowing the situation to get out of hand and secondly for that explanation which shows lack of judgment.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:10 AM

6,892 posts, read 2,710,402 times
I donít know why SOME parents feel that itís everyone elseís job to monitor their kids. Iíve seen this at RV shows also. The kids are jumping on the beds and slamming doors etc. If you have hyper kids you should PAY a babysitter to watch them and give us all a break.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:04 PM

3,969 posts, read 2,032,101 times
Default Just curious...

Quote:
I think most of us do understand what an Open House is, and yes, usually one just goes up to the door, turns the knob and enters the house. That's what works for agents (who don't want to interrupt a conversation they are having with one of the neighbors who has come to look around because they surely want to get another listing in the future). It's also great for those of us who are neighbors and/or just general lookey-loos, because we can come and go as we please. We know the houses near us and we know just what we want to see to compare the open house to our own. We know where the access doors are so that we can look and see if there is water under the house, and we are curious about it. We are also curious about different agents and want to see if there is one with whom we are compatible, and also we attend because we want to get a feel for the current market by chatting up the agent. We want to check out homes that have been staged or renovated, and we are just curious. It's also free entertainment.

We also attend open houses to get a general feel for houses in a particular area where we might like to buy in the future. If we are serious, though, we go with an agent.

What most of us who go to Open Houses are not is serious, prospective buyers for the house that is being held open.

There is an area in Santa Rosa where we were seriously interested and we attended the Sunday open homes in the community just to get a feel for the community (meaning we were in lookey-loo mode); however, we already had a pre-arranged plan with a totally different agent on the following Monday in order to see with her four or five houses that she had selected based on our criteria. None of those houses had open houses, but they were the only ones that were of real interest to us as buyers. We came close to putting an offer on one of them, but it was too high up a road and near a park with constant wildlife mulling about (wild turkeys and deer), no usable backyard and a worry about fire danger.

But when it comes to Open Houses, I think they are a waste of time and stressful for most homeowners, unless they have already moved out of the house they are selling or they don't live there in the first place.

If I'm interested to BUY a house, I will attend with an agent and the house won't be full of other lookey-loos.

I repeat that I will never have an Open House if I am still living in my house. I just don't need to do that.
I know the serious buyers are not the ones who attend Open Houses.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

But when it comes to Open Houses, I think they are a waste of time and stressful for most homeowners, unless they have already moved out of the house they are selling or they don't live there in the first place.

If I'm interested to BUY a house, I will attend with an agent and the house won't be full of other lookey-loos.

I repeat that I will never have an Open House if I am still living in my house. I just don't need to do that.
I know the serious buyers are not the ones who attend Open Houses.
I guess it depends on your market, I thought the same when we put our house on the market last summer for 5 days. We took it off because our new build wasn't ready. Those 5 days were a pain having showings every day.

This time we put it on the market no showings til the open. Had neighbours, lookers, whoever, 160 folks (our agents locked the door between groups).

Our agent did an exceptional job of controlling the open, the house was in perfect shape before and after.

Never thought we would have an open house but glad we did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or