U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 04:58 PM

206 posts, read 69,882 times

Advertisements

It's certainly not a thing all Realtors do.

I'm also curious about the actual email.

My first thought is she's trying to compare the home with yours and show why yours has more value (thus, insinuating you should list it with her because she knows the scoop in your area and thinks yours is going to sell better) BUT it sounds like she's gone a terrible way of doing it. Sounds like she needs to work on her relationship building skills.

Good luck with your sale!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 06:00 PM

3,403 posts, read 1,620,928 times
TACKY to the max. I agree; tell the neighbor what happened, ask the brokerage if this is how they operate, but ignore the agent who sent it

Wow, a new low...

Old 02-02-2018, 06:44 PM

5,413 posts, read 2,829,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Makes me wonder what she'll tell my neighbors about my house after it's listed.
That sums it up nicely. You dodged a bullet here.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:59 PM

4,832 posts, read 2,776,826 times
My first thought is that since you didn't hire her, she's inferring that you bought in a neighborhood of tacky homes that sell for less than others of the same size.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:14 PM

7,384 posts, read 16,790,620 times
Oh, oh ,oh!!!!!! <jumps up and down> I am in NO VA. Can we play guess the initials of this person???

Alex, can I have "DR" for $200? (Lol, I have about 90,000 more combinations, but this one comes to mind immediately!)

#unprofessional

Ok, I am done. It is extremely tacky to compliment someone by insulting someone else.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:15 PM

10,610 posts, read 12,696,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
#releasetheemail (redact names)
hahaha good one!

Old 02-02-2018, 08:20 PM

10,610 posts, read 12,696,178 times
FIRST of all....

Why in the world would she think it was her prerogative to announce your neighbor was GOING TO list their home?

Then to gossip about the condition of it?

How RUDE.

Yeah it sounds like she was trying to find out if you were interested in listing with her YET.

And maybe the neighbor's house isn't even her listing?

Old 02-03-2018, 06:06 AM

15,312 posts, read 17,307,183 times
Are you sure that the email was actually meant for you? Have you maintained an email relationship with a realtor that you never hired in the first place?

It sounds to me like this realtor was likely discussing this house with someone else, and it got sent to you by mistake. Perhaps the auto email address included your address.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:20 AM

30,087 posts, read 52,792,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Are you sure that the email was actually meant for you? Have you maintained an email relationship with a realtor that you never hired in the first place?

It sounds to me like this realtor was likely discussing this house with someone else, and it got sent to you by mistake. Perhaps the auto email address included your address.
I maintain mutually-agreed email contact with potential clients until they hire another agent or tell me they are no longer interested.

But, you may be right. The OP may have been included in an email blast inadvertently.
That wouldn't make it a more acceptable message, but just an additional error by the agent.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:51 AM

3,837 posts, read 1,292,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
This morning I got an unsolicited e-mail from a realtor about a neighbor's new listing. The realtor was someone that we interviewed to sell our house in Northern VA but didn't hire.

The e-mail informed me that my neighbor was about to list her house, and then went on to give her opinion of the renovations done. Some of the comments seemed mildly catty (or at least they came across that way). Things like "the floors are mismatched." "They're asking $650,000 and I honestly hope they get it" ($650 is a relatively low price for this neighborhood; it's priced low to sell quickly).

Is this a new thing to do? To be honest, it seemed gossipy and possibly even spiteful in a thinly veiled sort of way. I've never had a realtor do this before, but then again the last time I sold a house was 15 years ago, so maybe this is a new marketing thing realtors do. Or maybe it had something to do with follow up, since she interviewed with us (and we didn't tell her that we hired someone else--were we supposed to?) By the way, if that's what this was, an email like this is NOT how to get me as your client, LOL Makes me wonder what she'll tell my neighbors about my house after it's listed.

I'm not sure how to respond, so I'm taking the chicken way out and just ignoring it. Wondering what the rest of you think of it, though.
You might email her back with a simple, "I'm not interested, thanks" and leave it at that. I wouldn't respond to all the other catty stuff that she put in her email. She is an immature woman and not worth your time. Responding to all her stuff would be stooping down to her level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or