U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 11:09 AM

4,446 posts, read 5,154,163 times

Advertisements

The new game is that if you browse a site just looking to see what is on the market, you will get unsolicited emails from commissioned sales people in the area. Clearly, they have linked to other browsers to get into your mailbox and waste your time.

We had a sales person neighbor who get her panties twisted when we did our FSBO so she posted unkind remarks about our house on Facebook but acts so superior on Rain. It only proves why we avoid them.

OP, show the email to your neighbor so she can decide whether to use that person. Most people don't like to be bullied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 11:27 AM

1,312 posts, read 516,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Are you sure that the email was actually meant for you? Have you maintained an email relationship with a realtor that you never hired in the first place?

It sounds to me like this realtor was likely discussing this house with someone else, and it got sent to you by mistake. Perhaps the auto email address included your address.
Yeah this might be the case. When we were buying our house our agent accidentally email us something intended for another client. She just clicked on the wrong email to reply to and it went to us instead. It happens. Perhaps it was meant for another agent in her office and not a client. In this case, I wouldn't call it catty but just giving an opinion on the house and the price.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:12 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,580,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I would show it to her Broker and ask if that represents the agency.
This and I would show it to the neighbor who is selling and anyone else you know on the block.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:52 PM

4,514 posts, read 3,758,667 times
NO -- this is not a new marketing technique. Or, if it is, it's a pretty ineffective one. Send the email back to her with the following comment:

Dear ___,

I wanted to let you know that I received this email from you. I have to admit, I am confused as to why you would send me such a letter. The only thing that I can think of is that you sent it to me in error -- at least, I am hoping that is the case, because frankly, if you were representing me and sent one of my neighbors a letter such as this, I would be very upset.

Sincerely,

Old 02-04-2018, 12:29 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,050,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Not sure I completely get the situation... but I think the realtor is just being chatty and familiar with you - possibly to keep a relationship going, and let you know she has good familiarity with what's happening in your neighborhood... I dunno.

But no... I can't say it's a *thing* other than, somewhat regular friendly contact with people in our database is part of our thing.
I think it is this too. There is really nothing wrong with sending listings to someone for comparison if they are thinking of listing their own, but I think you have to be careful with putting such negative in words in an email. I may have said something like, I think that yours is a bit nicer inside with updated features, but this is a comparable house for square footage and location. If it isn't comparable at all then there is no reason to be sending it.

Emails and texts in general you have to be careful because they can't here your tone and it can really matter.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:03 PM

18,754 posts, read 12,393,098 times
Very unprofessional behavior. You were wise to choose another realtor. I can't imagine what this woman is thinking.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:48 PM

4,782 posts, read 2,116,704 times
Acknowledge receipt of the email and request to be removed from this mailer list. That should solve the communication and send the message that you are not interested in their style of promotion.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:17 AM

1,528 posts, read 717,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I think it is this too. There is really nothing wrong with sending listings to someone for comparison if they are thinking of listing their own, but I think you have to be careful with putting such negative in words in an email. I may have said something like, I think that yours is a bit nicer inside with updated features, but this is a comparable house for square footage and location. If it isn't comparable at all then there is no reason to be sending it.

Emails and texts in general you have to be careful because they can't here your tone and it can really matter.
I think it would be very unwise and very unprofessional to say that someone's house is nicer than someone else's in an email solicitation. These things have a way of coming back and haunting you. What if you're operating as a buyer's agent around these places? What if you end up being considered as a listing agent for it (it's not clear what the situation is but anything can happen). Many people take comments on their houses personally and people gossip and talk so I really would not want my words to be used against me or creating a potentially embarrassing situation. This is not a discreet word on the side, it's a solicitation email.

Anyway, if I were a seller, it would not make me think very highly of the agent telling me in an unsolicited email that someone else's house isn't as nice as mine. It sounds unprofessional, unsavory and somewhat catty to use the language of this thread. And I would not want an agent with such apparent poor judgment. Of course I would wonder if they are also solicitation emails around town that my house isn't as nice as some other houses.

I would not want that kind of agent associated with my transaction in any way.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:02 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,050,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I think it would be very unwise and very unprofessional to say that someone's house is nicer than someone else's in an email solicitation. These things have a way of coming back and haunting you. What if you're operating as a buyer's agent around these places? What if you end up being considered as a listing agent for it (it's not clear what the situation is but anything can happen). Many people take comments on their houses personally and people gossip and talk so I really would not want my words to be used against me or creating a potentially embarrassing situation. This is not a discreet word on the side, it's a solicitation email.

Anyway, if I were a seller, it would not make me think very highly of the agent telling me in an unsolicited email that someone else's house isn't as nice as mine. It sounds unprofessional, unsavory and somewhat catty to use the language of this thread. And I would not want an agent with such apparent poor judgment. Of course I would wonder if they are also solicitation emails around town that my house isn't as nice as some other houses.

I would not want that kind of agent associated with my transaction in any way.
I think that would be all of us. When you determine value it has to be done honestly looking at past sales, what they look like etc. If your bent out of shape because someone says you have a nicer house than others in the area you would probably get bent out of shape about dumb things throughout the transaction. I don't want clients like that.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:42 AM

7,838 posts, read 11,113,247 times
I'm not sure if I missed something...

Is the emailing realtor the listing agent on the neighbor's house or not? That makes a difference.

I agree with the idea that your email might have been a mistake.

Or, perhaps she was trying to inform you why the house is selling for less - which will have, or could have, an impact on future comps and sale prices?
So maybe she was trying to be helpful or informative?

Last edited by Giesela; 02-09-2018 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate