U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 04:55 PM

12,305 posts, read 9,811,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Best month to buy a house is the month that the house you want goes up for sale.

Seriously, I don't think there is one answer for this question. Too many variables!
That's when I buy! Can't buy what's not available. If you wait, you may miss out on a house you really want.

Prices don't change because of the time of year. Houses cost what they cost. You'll find much more on the market in the summer in the Northeast than the winter. Houses don't sell well in winter in the Northeast for obvious reasons. Buy when you find what you like. The price won't change much unless there's something significantly wrong with it or the owner's need to dump it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 05:05 PM

6,052 posts, read 3,101,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Looking for a general rule of thumb and strictly talking about the month where it would be best to buy for the lowest price and best to sell for the highest price.

Of course it might not be a universally held truth for whatever the answer is but Iím just looking for a general rule of thumb.

Iím looking into buying right now. Particularly in Massachusetts or possibly Rhode Island if that makes a difference to your answer. The areas I am most interested in right now are Lowell, Salem/Danvers, Waltham, Providence, and Cumberland (pretty much my interest is in that order).
I've read that putting house on market in April (spring) is a good time, and that most sales take place in June (I think it's June).

People are out looking for houses in summer, since the kids are out of school, and families can move, take vacation time, etc.

"They" say that late fall is a good time, but when I was house hunting, I noticed that there were few buyers looking at that time of year, and houses on the market lingered there.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:31 PM

4,494 posts, read 1,961,005 times
Buy ...when you can afford it.
Sell...when you no longer wish to afford it.

Our area claims March to June for selling. Ergo,if buying..that's when the market has inventory. Ours is 'family' geared so most wait towards the end of the school year.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:41 PM

10,672 posts, read 5,437,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Iím looking into buying right now. Particularly in Massachusetts or possibly Rhode Island if that makes a difference to your answer. The areas I am most interested in right now are Lowell, Salem/Danvers, Waltham, Providence, and Cumberland (pretty much my interest is in that order).
Where could you possibly work where all of those places are under consideration? If it's commuter rail, people are either looking for a North Station commute or they're looking for a South Station/Back Bay Station commute.

It's been covered. In the winter, you're more likely to find distressed properties where somebody is more likely to take a lowball offer. Families don't want to move during the school year. It's tough to inspect a property when there is snow pack and the ground is frozen. Once you get to April, there are a lot more buyers but there is also a lot more inventory.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:24 PM
Status: "Looking to be Morgan's husband Mistress....." (set 10 days ago)

5,356 posts, read 4,929,915 times
I'd never recommend Butting a house, however to each their own.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:57 AM

10,424 posts, read 3,088,671 times
As far as buying for the lowest price, thatís market related and has nothing to do with the month. In our area there is typically less inventory in the winter so that can drive prices either way.

As far as selling goes, spring and summer are typically best due to the amount of people with families looking to move and move before school starts. Again, price is not driven by that though.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:50 PM

7,393 posts, read 5,815,843 times
I thought it was don't buy or sell in a month that doesn't have an R??

this is a pun, for those concerned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or