Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 02:27 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

One of my friends has an elevator to the basement... just a regular house but his father in law owned a elevator service company... no need to lug heavy items up and down the stairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 04:43 PM

57 posts, read 86,681 times
Could it be that a basement in New Jersey, finished or not, isn't considered a "legal" living space?

Old 02-09-2018, 05:48 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
If the basement is finished and is really nice, I've seen pictures of them. But, the pictures online are meant to entice you to come look at the house. Unless the basement is unusually nice, it's not going to be an enticement for people to decide that it's a house they must see. I don't see why a realtor/seller would add a picture of a lackluster or underwhelming basement.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:36 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
I guess to some people the basement is like an attic. You ever seen anyone post pictures of their attic?

Old 02-09-2018, 07:55 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
What I find frustrating are listings that say no basement or don't even mention it and then when you look at the pictures of the outside of the house, a basement clearly exists. I want a basement and it doesn't help when listings deny having them.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:08 PM

219 posts, read 157,509 times
It's fairly typical to see at least a few pictures of the basement on real estate listings in Pittsburgh--even if it's unfinished. Generally the pictures include the water heater/boiler/furnace (especially if they are new-ish), laundry appliances if they're being included with the sale of the house and, where applicable, a picture of the infamous Pittsburgh potty. :-)

Old 02-09-2018, 10:55 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
around here, there are NO basements. We're on solid lava rock, so houses are built above ground. The best ones are built on tall piers that give you open-air living space under the house and let you park and hang laundry and entertain large crowds of people. Kind of above-ground basements.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:35 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
If the basement is finished and is really nice, I've seen pictures of them. But, the pictures online are meant to entice you to come look at the house. Unless the basement is unusually nice, it's not going to be an enticement for people to decide that it's a house they must see. I don't see why a realtor/seller would add a picture of a lackluster or underwhelming basement.
A seller would post pictures of an underwhelming basement to indicate its size and its ceiling height. Properly taken such a picture would show location and condition of utility and laundry equipment and orientation of water and sewer lines as well as areas generally unusable for occupation due to low beams, piping and ductwork. It could also show location of stairs and outside access and location of windows.

Foundation construction and evidence of water intrusion could be seen as well as the presence of a sump pump, if any. A dry bar, wet bar or simply built in storage shelving could be seen. Need I go on?

Old 02-10-2018, 01:51 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
No basements in Houston. So no, no pictures. !!

But I understand what OP is saying. If you're shopping online at homes you want to see certain things. If you don't, you quickly go on to the next house to see. It's easy to see the better photographers vs the so-so ones.

May I add. . . I don't want to see the great looking table settings. I want to see the dining room floor, ceiling, walls, and windows. If the photos are done right I can look at the outside and see which windows match which rooms and understand the flow. And drones taking an overhead view of the property - Those are awesome!

Old 02-10-2018, 02:12 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'm in the Boston area and 99% of houses around here have a basement.

If the basement is finished, I'll see photos of it in the listing 90% of the time. If the basement is unfinished except for the occasional photo of the heating system or maybe the laundry machines (if they're down there) I don't think I've ever seen anyone put in a photo of an unfinished basement.

Without a doubt, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say they'd like to see a photo of an unfinished basement in the listing. While basements can certainly vary in construction (cinder block, fieldstone, poured cement, etc.) and also pour depth aside from that if you've seen one unfinished basement you've pretty much seen them all. I know at least in my MLS there are fields you can fill in to answer some of these questions up front.

I would guess aside from the uniformity of unfinished basements, the aesthetics are another reason why you don't typically see photo of them in a listing. It's a bunch of pipes, concrete, and insulation along with a whole slew of people's junk that they're storing down there. It's just not pretty. Plus, basements are typically very dark so not great for photographing.
Occasionally in online used car ads you see photos of the engine. Or the trunk with the original tool kit. Or the owner's manual in perfect shape (usually for older cars).

Home sellers may do this to show that it's super pristine. I agree that most basements are really horrible sights and any photos would be strong negatives. But recently I was in a basement of a home probably about 25 years old. It had an absolutely perfect basement (unfinished). No weird stains on the cement, no cracks, just perfectly clean and bright looking concrete. The furnace and all the pipes and electrics, etc were extremely neat and tidy.

While few people are excited by an unfinished basement, I think that an exceptionally pristine one (like a very clean engine, etc in a car) suggest that the home is well taken care of. This, in addition to the obvious points that a photo might show the potential to furnish the basement. I believe that showing the potential to furnish the basement might be very important if the home is not very large and might be in an area of family homes (like a little charmer in Belmont, for example). If it's a 4000sf newer home in Franklin (for example) then that would probably be less important to buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate